Simple Question, has anyone successfully booted a 2Gb Pine?
(04-01-2016, 08:00 AM)seaniefs Wrote: Ok, just tried and it seems worse. Sad Now it locks up completely after getting to the graphical login screen...

With connected Ethernet? If so please try once without (might take up to 5 minutes longer without working network!) and report back regarding reported memory size.
(04-01-2016, 08:32 AM)Andrew2 Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 08:00 AM)seaniefs Wrote: Ok, just tried and it seems worse. Sad Now it locks up completely after getting to the graphical login screen...

With connected Ethernet? If so please try once without (might take up to 5 minutes longer without working network!) and report back regarding reported memory size.

Ok, just done and boots OK without Ethernet (sorry, should have thought of that!), thanks.

The memory is reported as 2GiB by /proc/meminfo - 2036616kB which is good.

However, once you plug in the Ethernet cable, then it locks up pretty soon afterwards (in a few seconds).

Just wondering if there's any way I can capture what's going on at that point to assist at all?

Sean.
I received a 2GB model and can reproduce the issue - will look into it asap.
HW: Pine64+ 2GB, no expansion modules.
---

U-Boot 2014.07-3-pine64-longsleep (Mar 19 2016 - 16:33:40) Allwinner Technology                                                                                                                                                      
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.2-16ubuntu4) 4.8.2                                                                                                                                                                        
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.24                                                                                                                                                                                                

---
Linux  version 3.10.65-2-pine64 aarch64
MemTotal:        1002184 kB                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Ethernet works fine.

---
Linux version 3.10.65-3-pine64-longsleep aarch64
MemTotal:        2036616 kB
booted into single-user works fine - plug in ethernet and kcrash/loop

i have the uboot.env and full dmesg saved for each boot.
(04-01-2016, 10:46 AM)longsleep Wrote: I received a 2GB model and can reproduce the issue - will look into it asap.

Thanks, that's great news - many thanks indeed.

Please do let me know if I can be of any help.
I got my PineA64 today and here is my first impression: It Works!

Android
I didn't bother with Remix OS since I read that they are still having problems with the 2Gb boards.
It took me two laptops and three different SD card adapters to get PhoenixCard to write the Android Lollipop image to the SD card.
Android takes a long time to boot! Not just the first time. Every time... After reading some of the posts here I did my first test with only the HDMI and power cables plugged in. After Android finished booting I plugged the adapter for my wireless mouse and keyboard in and it worked immediately.
Question: How do you shut down Android?
The second time I plugged the Ethernet cable in too. This time it seemed like Android did some updates so it took a long time to boot.
Nevertheless it works. I did some quick tests loading some webpages. Looks like it is pretty fast. Youtube works too - although when playing videos in high definition and full screen the sound gets chopped up when I move the mouse.

Arch Linux
Writing Arch Linux to the SD card is much easier. Win32DiskImager does a good job here.
Until now I worked mainly with Raspbian and I don't have much experience with Arch. I seems faster than Android. Browsing the Internet is definitely better especially with the much higher resolution. Youtube does not work. "An error occured. Please try again later". Not sure where that comes from but it is not important for me.
cat /proc/meminfo shows only one Gb of memory. I hope they are going to fix this soon...

As for the overscan: I seem to be one of the lucky guys who has a TV that can adjust the size of the screen. My TV has a video setting called "Graphic". When I select that the picture is a bit smaller.
I can confirm that it definitely does not work with HDMI adapters. My monitor has a DVI input and I used a HDMI -> DVI cable to connect my Raspberries but the PineA64 does not work!

The next thing I would like to do is to compile fldigi (http://www.w1hkj.com/) on the PineA64. My primary target is to use this board for digital modes in ham radio.

So all in all I am pretty satisfied with this board. I had it running for a few hours on a 5V 1A power supply. Of course at the moment it doesn't do any heavy lifting and the only USB device connected is the adapter for the mouse/keyboard. Later I will use a bigger power supply.
I have booted on a Arch Linux Image with XFCE4 Base on Longsleep Image 20160304-1, and Remix OS. Arch Linus worked on ethernet and ran well. Remix OS boots fine for me with ethernet unplugged. But once I plug it in, it freezes for a second and then goes into a boot loop.
I could only get Arch to run smoothly and reliably(typing this from my pine). This is my first time running arch but it works as most Linux distros do, smooth. Remix semi worked, slow, stuttered, pretty much what I expected, like all those android phones with usless skins bogging them down(NEXUS or nothing!lol).
Im patiently waiting for openHAB Smile
I have the 2GB Pine64+ and Android is running pretty well after I got the SD card flashed correctly. Ethernet is working, stuff like Netflix/Youtube works great. I used the latest Android image from the Download page.

Archlinux also worked, and so did RemixOS (but I settled on Android in the end).

I found that I needed a pretty powerful power supply though.

The Pine is drawing around 4 Watt (peak, usually 1.5-2) at 5V, which means that you need at least 800 mA. Giving power factors and the fact that most cheap supplies tell you rubbish on the labels about what they can deliver) you should opt for one with I would say at least 1.2A. Check the labels on the supply under Output (should say 5V DC 1.2A or something along these lines).
The 750mA supply from one phone didn't work, but the 1.8A one from a newer phone does, so that may be the culprit for some.
(04-04-2016, 04:05 AM)Keex Wrote: I have the 2GB Pine64+ and Android is running pretty well after I got the SD card flashed correctly. Ethernet is working, stuff like Netflix/Youtube works great. I used the latest Android image from the Download page.

Archlinux also worked, and so did RemixOS (but I settled on Android in the end).

So apparently you're using a 2GB board limited to 1GB memory since in all OS images except of the latest from longsleep (from yesterday) there exists an integer overflow in the GMAC driver that leads to crashes in Linux and endless boot loops in RemixOS when the full 2GB have been initialised.

But you're not affected by crashes and/or boot loops if you use the outdated 'official' Arch Linux or Android image (since DRAM initialisation there is broken and only 1 GB is recognised/used)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,505 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PINE A64 Ubuntu 18 or 20 IMG with touchscreen? burningkrome 0 552 04-29-2023, 05:13 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Pine A64 does only boot with Android 5.1 Dude 6 3,773 07-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Dude
  Pine A64+ vs LCD do not boot DDS 3 5,864 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: thedu
  Autodetect if Pine unit is a Pine A64+ or PineA64-LTS pkfpeters 1 3,252 02-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine 64 | 2GB x2 & Acrylic Cases x2 for Sale | Canada - GTA ViperVi 1 4,420 01-18-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: squidius
  sd format?for pine 64 angegardien 3 7,620 12-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Last Post: junkyj753
  Node Red on the Pine DonFL 0 2,732 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Last Post: DonFL
Photo Pine A64+ from Kick starter running Pi-Hole netHolio 0 3,204 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Last Post: netHolio
  NetBSD for Pine A64(+) Luke 3 6,618 10-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Last Post: mrgtwentythree