Noob but can use help
#1
So, first, thank you for accepting me in the forum.  Just by reading around, I have learned allot.  I am no techie but have a bit of background in computers...  Just enough to get me in trouble!   Well, enough of that!  I have a couple of questions for our esteemed knowledgable crew here that I cant seem to find a way through or around.  After having my Pinebook for a couple of months, I am no go on these.

1-Printer drivers.  I use a Brother mfc 255cw which has a linux driver on their web site, BUT, will not install because "wrong architecture".  Any way around that, or through that?  No other generic seems to work at all.  Thoughts?

2. Do we have any idea of additional software will become available through the software boutique?  It starts, it runs, but nothing is there.  From what I read that might change soon?  Can I get software for the Pinebook any other way?

3.  Pinebook seems jumpy, hesitates, especially via internet work.  I am on a fast connect wifi that does not act that way on other computers.  Any ideas how that might be addressed?

I have run sudo apt updates && sudo apt upgrades to make sure I am up to date...

Any suggestions on the above is greatly appreciated.   Huh
  Reply
#2
(09-04-2017, 05:14 PM)renoboyd Wrote: So, first, thank you for accepting me in the forum.  Just by reading around, I have learned allot.  I am no techie but have a bit of background in computers...  Just enough to get me in trouble!   Well, enough of that! 

Welcome   Big Grin

Quote:
I have a couple of questions for our esteemed knowledgable crew here that I cant seem to find a way through or around.  After having my Pinebook for a couple of months, I am no go on these.

All issues ( with the exception of the 14" keyboard ) have been resolved in the recent Pinebook images.  

Quote:1-Printer drivers.  I use a Brother mfc 255cw which has a linux driver on their web site, BUT, will not install because "wrong architecture".  Any way around that, or through that?  No other generic seems to work at all.  Thoughts?

Are you using CUPS ? 

Quote:2. Do we have any idea of additional software will become available through the software boutique?  It starts, it runs, but nothing is there.  From what I read that might change soon?  Can I get software for the Pinebook any other way?

sudo apt search <package>

sudo apt install <package>

Of course, you can build sources right on your Pinebook;


Quote:3.  Pinebook seems jumpy, hesitates, especially via internet work.  I am on a fast connect wifi that does not act that way on other computers.  Any ideas how that might be addressed?

Please install the latest Pine Installer release.  All issues have been resolved with the recent releases.

Quote:I have run sudo apt updates && sudo apt upgrades to make sure I am up to date...
Any suggestions on the above is greatly appreciated.   Huh
The images are recent enough that they do not need to be upgraded.  Its fine to  sudo apt update  but do not upgrade unless there is some specific reason for doing that... and there isn't. 
Shy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
  Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)