WOW
(08-20-2017, 09:46 AM)bitbank Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 06:13 PM)stuartiannaylor Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 05:28 PM)Broadcom VideoCore IV HW GPU failed to beat the Mali-400MPMetalazzo Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 03:04 PM)Luke Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 01:27 PM)Bluesman Wrote: This Rock64 has to be the slowest thing Ive seen. Running the Debian LXDE version. 
Usinga brand new Samsung 64GB sd class 10
Internet is 100MB DL
I have the 4GB Version.
My Pi 3 is way faster.

The Pi 3 is way faster you say ...hmm ;Wink what are you referring to specifically? Just one good example please ?

Pi 3 is faster with chromium when running octane V2 benchmark. Rolleyes

Broadcom VideoCore IV HW & Mali-400MP are pretty damn close in specs and its not true that the Rock64 is far faster in everything.
The GPU's the Mali-400MP is supposed to be a touch faster.
The Pi3 will come very close to the Rock64 in terms of GPU and currently has had over a year for drivers & tweaks to get an optimal product.
If you are looking for GPU orientated SoCs then the Pi3 & Rock64 are prob not what you need as they are both relatively stinky in this regard.
Its a Mali-400MP but has very similar architecture to the RK3368 which has a PowerVR SGX6110 GPU as its of the same RK33xx series but the low end GPU.

The Rock64 will out perform a PI3 in every area apart from the GPU where they are both similar and a bit stinky nowadays, but elsewhere its extremely sweet smelling.
VPU, CPU, USB, Ethernet, eMMC the Rock64 is faster with more memory which is also LPDDR3 but the GPU arguments are so close that its probably a bit pointless.
How much faster we don't know as it has not had the time and development to truly bed in yet, time will tell.

The Rock64 won't be the king of performance in any measure. It is faster than the Pi3 in almost every way due to faster RAM and a higher CPU clock speed. It should outperform the Pi3 by 30-60% in most tests. It uses the same Cortex-A53 processor core as the PI3, so any differences in speed will be due to RAM/clock speed. The main advantages of the Rock64 versus the Pi3 are more/faster RAM and high speed USB/network.
Just received my Rock64. It's incredibly slow, basically unusable. 

I've tried every available Linux distro (on SD card). It takes at least 20 seconds to open any application, even a terminal. Once Chrome or Firefox finally opens, it takes another 20 seconds to load any web page, sometimes much longer. Youtube, if you ever get there, is garbled and jerky. This is with ethernet, since WiFi drops out sporadically.

I'm using a powered USB hub for the WiFi dongle. Without it, the keyboard/mouse quit at random. I can live with that for awhile- just want to make sure no one blames my problems on that issue. Also, I have an official power supply from Pine, so we can rule out the power supply.

This is an ongoing problem, not just during first boot after flashing the OS.

I am not a noob -- I am a software engineer and have been using various Linux flavors for 10+ years.

My Pi2 (not 3!) is snappier than the Rock64. Since most users are reporting a much better experience, I'm either doing something wrong or have a lemon.

Help?
(08-25-2017, 04:13 PM)sherwindc Wrote: Just received my Rock64. It's incredibly slow, basically unusable.  ... <snip> ...

My Pi2 (not 3!) is snappier than the Rock64. Since most users are reporting a much better experience, I'm either doing something wrong or have a lemon.

Help?

...  enter a support ticket;  there is something drastically wrong, and the board should be replaced.

( I can't imagine what you'd be doing wrong )
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Hello, colleagues.
I have 100% same performance issues with both of mine Rock64 2GB boards! I thought im the only one with these issues, finally i found your post, mate.
(08-26-2017, 12:31 AM)Techlover Wrote: Hello, colleagues.
I have 100% same performance issues with both of mine Rock64 2GB boards! I thought im the only one with these issues, finally i found your post, mate.

... talking this over on the irc now with ayufan;  this is a known issue and they're working on it/  

At this point let's wait and see what the devs come up with ;  keep you posted.

Blush

Even a couple of devs have same issue;  so we're making progress.

ayufan indicates that his Android does not support Gbe yet !  ... those of you running Android try to put a 10|100 switch between your Rock64 and the Gbe switch;  or alternatively,  open an old cat6 cable and cut (yes cut) the blue and the brown pairs ( cut both the solid and striped wires of blue and brown ) ... be careful don't harm the green or orange pairs !!

Shy

see post #15 update
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
My Rock64 4GB powered from a 6A power supply trough GPIO pins running debian stretch minimal ayufan 0.4.16-83 with i3 window manager could not either open Firefox because of it being too slow. After waiting 5 minutes google would appear with search results. Scrolling trough webpages seemed smooth unless something new was loading.
I'm in the first batch. 4G says the box it came with.

Could it have anything to do with me moving root filesystem to an SSD?
Terminal and i3 is responsive its just Firefox that will not run. Lynx seemed to be running normally.

MarkHaysHarris777 , Can this be resolved with a software patch or is it a hardware bug?
After installing latest build of Mate, web browsing is considerably improved.

However:

1. Audio (streaming and local mp3 files) is garbled. Any known cures?

2. I have no basis for comparison, so I don't know if 10+ seconds to open a browser is normal. Opinions?

3. Powered USB hub still required for kbd/mouse/wifi. Is everyone experiencing this?

Thanks for advice.
(08-31-2017, 10:29 AM)sherwindc Wrote: After installing latest build of Mate, web browsing is considerably improved.

However:

1. Audio (streaming and local mp3 files) is garbled. Any known cures?

2. I have no basis for comparison, so I don't know if 10+ seconds to open a browser is normal. Opinions?

3. Powered USB hub still required for kbd/mouse/wifi. Is everyone experiencing this?

Thanks for advice.
1. Thanks to Kwiboo, the audio issue has been resolved on Linux and willl be on ayufan next week.