RetroPie on Rock64
(08-22-2017, 07:16 AM)Jakr Wrote: If he accepted the board, I bet he will get it work. I was on their forums, when people were asking for a ODROID build. He told them if someone got him a board, he would try to get it to work, and he followed through. 

A lot of people running RetroPie on the Pi 3 love it.. But wish it would run n64 ROMs better. I think if he gets the rock 64 running RetroPie, and people see how the n64 runs on it... It will be very popular. 

Jake

On Android N64 runs much better than on RPI 3 - how will it on the RetroPie build remains to be seen of course. But if you haven't seen my thread on this subject then I suggest you read though it.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I have released an experimental build here :

https://github.com/rtissera/RetroPie-Set...s/tag/v0.1

You can install ROMs through the network (samba shares) or through the RetroPie Manager (web interface) at http://<your_rock_64_ip>:8000

Feel free to give feedback, it's very rough !
(08-26-2017, 10:59 AM)LTronic Wrote: I have released an experimental build here :

https://github.com/rtissera/RetroPie-Set...s/tag/v0.1

You can install ROMs through the network (samba shares) or through the RetroPie Manager (web interface) at http://<your_rock_64_ip>:8000

Feel free to give feedback, it's very rough !

Thats just amazing. Will test on monday and let you know. Many thanks !

Once again great job. 

Here is some initial feedback: 

1) I think something is wrong with webgui permissions - files do not copy over, can't check because point 4)
2) Retropie setup and other options accessible via emulationstation require sudo (you are prompted for password)
3) ssh doesn't work 
4) Alsamixer keeps complaining ' VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements!' 
5) No sound via HDMI (probably related to previous point).
6) On my monitor games run at 120hz, which results in 120fps  (feels like playing in 'fast forward')

(08-28-2017, 03:40 PM)Luke Wrote: Once again great job. 

Here is some initial feedback: 

1) I think something is wrong with webgui permissions - files do not copy over, can't check because point 4)
2) Retropie setup and other options accessible via emulationstation require sudo (you are prompted for password)
3) ssh doesn't work 
4) Alsamixer keeps complaining ' VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements!' 
5) No sound via HDMI (probably related to previous point).
6) On my monitor games run at 120hz, which results in 120fps  (feels like playing in 'fast forward')

Thanks a lot for the feedback and your kind words Smile

Sound issues :
Rebasing on the top of ayufan 0.5.4 releases will fix this (I have it WIP). Alsamixer message is probably related to HDMI sound, yes.

Sudo issue :
Yeah, I need to edit the /etc/sudoers file in order to make rock64 able to do sudo without password. Editing the file manually through visudo is an easy fix, but I need to figure out a way to script this however.

Webgui :
It works fine on my system so I am a bit puzzled about this one. Once you have SSH resolved (see below) could you check what's going on on your system (permissions and so on) ?

SSH issue :
I need help on this one. Could you try hooking a keyboard/mouse to your board or using serial console and see the network configuration ?
Could you try ayufan latest xenial minimal and see if you have the same issue ?
I suspect this is the dhcp client not firing up and I can't see why.

Monitor issue :
I don't have any 120 Hz monitor to test, I will need help on this one too. I think it is related to SDL2 KMS/DRM implementation.

I will do my best tonight to release a version with working sound and sudo issue fixed (already WIP).

(08-29-2017, 02:43 AM)LTronic Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 03:40 PM)Luke Wrote: 6) On my monitor games run at 120hz, which results in 120fps  (feels like playing in 'fast forward')

A quick research on the libretro forums points me to :

Edit your retroarch.cfg and add or edit the key to something like
video_refresh_rate = "120.000000"

Worth a try.
So all issues listed in V0.1 have been solved (except for 9). 

As for V0.2, these are the following issues I ran into: 

1) shaders (particularly FXAA anti-aliasing) cause emulators to crash. Some shaders also cause retroarch GUI to render things incorrectly, eg. half of the menu only shows, or the menu is froze, or the menu is merged with image from the game -- I suspect this isn't specific to R64.
2) FBA 2012 crashes after ~5 min of gameplay (the SoC gets very hot too - 77*c - in comparison running quake results in a max temp of 68*c. Not sure if its related). 
4) Updating Retropie from script causes the system to hang (couldn't find anything in logs - will look again). Could be a one-of. 
5) Updating takes forever ... 2hrs before it crashed (this is on a SD card) -- this is without updating the underlying system. Tried with 2 different SDs - same issues.  
6) This one too may not be specific to R64 --- not all buttons on my 8bitdo controller connected via BT are recognised. All are recognised if I connect it via USB cable. For the record, I have not encountered this issue on other boards running same version of Retropie. 
7) controller doesnt work in retropie setup // config editor etc. You need a keyboard to navigate the menus 
8) Having installed KODI it didn't show up in Emulation Station (it installed correctly). 
9) Alsamixer still reports the same error as before.

(08-30-2017, 12:30 PM)Luke Wrote: So all issues listed in V0.1 have been solved (except for 9). 

As for V0.2, these are the following issues I ran into: 

1) shaders (particularly FXAA anti-aliasing) cause emulators to crash. Some shaders also cause retroarch GUI to render things incorrectly, eg. half of the menu only shows, or the menu is froze, or the menu is merged with image from the game -- I suspect this isn't specific to R64.
2) FBA 2012 crashes after ~5 min of gameplay (the SoC gets very hot too - 77*c - in comparison running quake results in a max temp of 68*c. Not sure if its related). 
4) Updating Retropie from script causes the system to hang (couldn't find anything in logs - will look again). Could be a one-of. 
5) Updating takes forever ... 2hrs before it crashed (this is on a SD card) -- this is without updating the underlying system. Tried with 2 different SDs - same issues.  
6) This one too may not be specific to R64 --- not all buttons on my 8bitdo controller connected via BT are recognised. All are recognised if I connect it via USB cable. For the record, I have not encountered this issue on other boards running same version of Retropie. 
7) controller doesnt work in retropie setup // config editor etc. You need a keyboard to navigate the menus 
8) Having installed KODI it didn't show up in Emulation Station (it installed correctly). 
9) Alsamixer still reports the same error as before.
Can't wait to get my board to test this out. Have you released V0.2 yet? I'm happy to provide some feedback as I can. Did you ever hear from the official devs about Rock64 support?
Think he's busy right now, but last time I spoke to him in IRC he said he had a working armhf version on the image, which means N64 and PSX emulation.

(09-18-2017, 01:24 AM)Luke Wrote: Think he's busy right now, but last time I spoke to him in IRC he said he had a working armhf version on the image, which means N64 and PSX emulation.
Hi Luke,

How does the graphic performance on the Rock64 compared to RPi3?

I am using RetroPie @ RPi3 but I want more graphic performance.  If I use the more fancy graphic settings, the frame rate is low on the RPi3.

I am wondering will I see a big improvement on the Rock64.

ps. I am only interested in PSX1 emulation & Kodi.
(09-18-2017, 05:02 AM)cheungtsw Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 01:24 AM)Luke Wrote: Think he's busy right now, but last time I spoke to him in IRC he said he had a working armhf version on the image, which means N64 and PSX emulation.
Hi Luke,

How does the graphic performance on the Rock64 compared to RPi3?

I am using RetroPie @ RPi3 but I want more graphic performance.  If I use the more fancy graphic settings, the frame rate is low on the RPi3.

I am wondering will I see a big improvement on the Rock64.

ps. I am only interested in PSX1 emulation & Kodi.

If you are specifically interested in RetroPie, then will not be able to tell you until I get the armhf build from rtissera, as the 64bit build does not run PSX or N64 emulators. That said, if performance on Android is anything to go by (and it kind of vaguely is) then I'd say you can expect ~15-20% better performance on the R64. While not earth shattering, it will make most PSX games run flawless or near perfectly - take a look at the little table I linked at the very bottom of that post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 50 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 511 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,962 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,424 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 510 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,728 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7