height between stock heatsink and bottom
basically i want to know what the free height is of the pinebook's mainboard's thermal spreader and the bottom panel, as i want to improve cooling (and perhaps overclock a little) once mine arrives so it doesnt thermal throttle anymore.

any idea how much space free there is? :O

if barely none, then i'll mount a 0.2mm copper film on part the backside, to spread out the heat.
(08-13-2017, 12:32 PM)schepers_cp Wrote: basically i want to know what the free height is of the pinebook's mainboard's thermal spreader and the bottom panel, as i want to improve cooling (and perhaps overclock a little) once mine arrives so it doesnt thermal throttle anymore.

any idea how much space free there is? :O

if barely none, then i'll mount a 0.2mm copper film on part the backside, to spread out the heat.

you can find a detailed teardown here. In short, not much space - but some for e.g. a lightly thicker piece of metal. It is hardly necessary however as the PB really doesn't throttle unless pushed unresonably hard. As a side note, overclocking is not easy (and not really viable) as, as far as I understand, it involves tweaking the device tree
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

the teardown doesn't give any more info than you said in your response, which isn't much either to be honest, i basically need the minimal height that is available (in whole mm is good enough for me)
Well you have few options for extra cooling. You could install memory heatsinks (or now sold as raspberry pi heatsinks) and make small hole on the case so the heatsink can get a bit of airflow. 
I have also thought about getting small heatpipe and use that for extra cooling under the case. 
There is not really need for active cooling. Since you can't really overclock. Pinebook can run at 1ghz almost all the time. 1.15ghz will throttle down to 1ghz under heavy load.
i am looking to clad the inside of the bottom panel of the pinebook with copper film, and to help heat spreading more as suggested above, a thin heatpipe (for which i need to know the height i can maximally support safely, not that i crush the SOC)
(08-13-2017, 02:19 PM)schepers_cp Wrote: the teardown doesn't give any more info than you said in your response, which isn't much either to be honest, i basically need the minimal height that is available (in whole mm is good enough for me)

Hard to measure but approx. 1 - 1.3mm.

edit: perhaps a bit more than that. The bottom portion of the case is not uniform, so its thicker in some places than others.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter