Anyone else disappointed?
The Raspberry Pi 3 is about to be/is released with many of the same features as the Pine 64. On top of that, the Pine 64 is more than double the size of the Raspberry Pi with a board that is too thin, causing warping. It looks and feels "cheap". The board could have been laid out better with additional layers and, thus, thickness with components on both sides, reducing board size. The main selling point to me is that Raspberry Pi doesn't (yet) run Android. Other than that, they are not dissimilar enough to choose the pine 64 over the Pi.

If I had known about the Pi 3 when I found out about the Pine 64, I wouldn't have backed the pine 64.

Anyone else feel disappointed?
Are they really the same specs?

If anything, I am happy to bring another competitor to the market on microcomputers. I am also interested in where the Pine will go as far as accessories are concerned. Since the Pi is already in the market for a long while, maybe they will focus on another market.

It was thanks to the Pine I started looking into IoT too so..all in all I am happy. There is a new community around here, some are starters like me and some are more advanced.
Pi 3 also has other restrictions, such as a max of 1GB RAM and a slow Ethernet port that is routed via USB (so gigabit speeds cannot be achieved).

What the Raspberry Pi does have is a great community of users. It is up to us to make a similar community for the Pine64.
You have all rights to be disappointed, but I find your dissatisfaction with Pine more like problem with your expectations. This is very fresh project, there may be problems nobody realize yet. Everything have pros and cons.

I didn't get the board yet, so I can't say anything more.
(03-25-2016, 01:37 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: ....

What the Raspberry Pi does have is a great community of users. It is up to us to make a similar community for the Pine64.

^THIS

I'm still patiently waiting... and in no rush.  

Relax people.... in the grand scheme of things,  it is just merely a computer, and not a cure for cancer.  Simply put, this is a hobbyist product.  I'm more eager to see if anyone else actually takes a product to market utilizing the Pine64 board.  Other products coming out is just part of a normal and healthy free market.  Some excel  and others fail.   It appears the Pine team is truly taking the criticism to heart regarding shipping, schedules, bent boards, etc and are trying their utmost to resolve those problems.  

Who hasn't purchased a piece of electronics, only to find out a new and improved model would be coming out shortly or rather a competitor is releasing its product?  So what?  At most you're out say $50-$100... You, we, I,  all had the choice to either back or not back the KS.  One could be in a part of the world where $50-$100 is what s/he makes in a month or even a year.
I'm not suggesting that the Pi is better, but yes, my expectations were higher. It feels cheap. It's bigger than it needs to be and is rather flimsy. It could be better. It is just not what I was expecting.

My biggest complaint about the Pine though is nearly total lack of documentation (please don't direct me to the anemic wiki...). I'm struggling to find much of anything official. Most start up help is via posts in the forum by others that have figured it out. The Pi has massive amounts of official documentation. This needs to be corrected quickly.
I ordered the Rpi3 on day 1, received it 2 weeks later (from Britain) and using it with OpenElec and Kodi. Very happy with it. I have just ordered a second and it arrives Tuesday (9 days shipping, also from Britain). Meanwhile nothing on the Pine64 that I ordered Feb. 15 and was scheduled to ship no later than April 1st. Should have know that April 1st was a joke because I checked the order status and they moved the shipping date back to May (with no notice). Extreme lack of feedback and transparency by Pine64. Should have know given the Apple roots of the company.
(03-25-2016, 02:16 PM)TerryB Wrote: I ordered the Rpi3 on day 1, received it 2 weeks later (from Britain) and using it with OpenElec and Kodi. Very happy with it. I have just ordered a second and it arrives Tuesday (9 days shipping, also from Britain). Meanwhile nothing on the Pine64 that I ordered Feb. 15 and was scheduled to ship no later than April 1st. Should have know that April 1st was a joke because I checked the order status and they moved the shipping date back to May (with no notice). Extreme lack of feedback and transparency by Pine64. Should have know given the Apple roots of the company.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 too, very pleased with it also. One of the benefits of living in the UK is that they turn up super-quick too! Smile

Which tier did you choose on the Pine64 kickstarter?
the 1GB memory on the RasPi 3 is a deal breaker for me. Got's to hab me mo buncha RAMs.
(03-25-2016, 02:46 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(03-25-2016, 02:16 PM)TerryB Wrote: I ordered the Rpi3 on day 1, received it 2 weeks later (from Britain) and using it with OpenElec and Kodi. Very happy with it. I have just ordered a second and it arrives Tuesday (9 days shipping, also from Britain). Meanwhile nothing on the Pine64 that I ordered Feb. 15 and was scheduled to ship no later than April 1st. Should have know that April 1st was a joke because I checked the order status and they moved the shipping date back to May (with no notice). Extreme lack of feedback and transparency by Pine64. Should have know given the Apple roots of the company.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 too, very pleased with it also. One of the benefits of living in the UK is that they turn up super-quick too! Smile

Which tier did you choose on the Pine64 kickstarter?
I chose the 2GB w/ wifi. I live in Canada BTW. Note, I am somewhat miffed that the shipping cost is double what other companies charge to ship similar from China such as for example my Orange Pi. However, I did sign on the dotted line knowing the price before hand. Sigh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  disappointed Jschnee 6 8,426 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  very disappointed strontium62 7 9,191 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Beryllium
Sad Disappointed That I Bought the 2GB model FiZiX 40 65,963 04-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Tarjei85