Available video players with hw decoder support
(08-08-2017, 12:26 AM)dlu Wrote: If LibreELEC is open enough to get other software running on it ( I'd like ssh/sshd, nfsd, some other network clients, support for typical file systems, usual shell tools), then I'm enthusiastic.

You can enable sshd on the LibreELEC (the currently available Kwiboo build enables it by default) and I guess it shouldn't be too hard to copy debootstrapped Debian into it, and run it in chroot. This should provide Debian packaged software, although without init (systemd) integration - the daemons would have to be started using some custom scripts. Kind of like Linux chroots under Android. What it certainly won't provide is any additional GUI software - the LibreELEC runs KODI without any windowing environment (no X11 or Wayland). So no browser.

I'm currently trying to get hardware accelerated video playback to work with the ayufans 64-bit Debian Stretch build, but at moment I have no idea, whether it I would succeed (don't understand the Linux video acceleration frameworks enough, so just trying to build software packages with available patches for now - fortunately Rock64 is not terribly slow for native builds).
(09-22-2017, 03:33 PM)mth Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 12:26 AM)dlu Wrote: If LibreELEC is open enough to get other software running on it ( I'd like ssh/sshd, nfsd, some other network clients, support for typical file systems, usual shell tools), then I'm enthusiastic.

You can enable sshd on the LibreELEC (the currently available Kwiboo build enables it by default) and I guess it shouldn't be too hard to copy debootstrapped Debian into it, and run it in chroot. This should provide Debian packaged software, although without init (systemd) integration - the daemons would have to be started using some custom scripts. Kind of like Linux chroots under Android. What it certainly won't provide is any additional GUI software - the LibreELEC runs KODI without any windowing environment (no X11 or Wayland). So no browser.

I'm currently trying to get hardware accelerated video playback to work with the ayufans 64-bit Debian Stretch build, but at moment I have no idea, whether it I would succeed (don't understand the Linux video acceleration frameworks enough, so just trying to build software packages with available patches for now - fortunately Rock64 is not terribly slow for native builds).

raybuntu has made a recent librelec with the latest from kwiboo & longchair...
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5130
https://github.com/Raybuntu/LibreELEC.tv...n18.img.gz

In openelec if you add the network tools package through the interface
https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.t...ls-depends
You may need to use the repo by raybuntu as they have been recompiled

Always thought mweh with LibreElec and never really looked at it.
I am starting to dig it big style and the chromium addon seems very fast.

Some of the Nextcloud devs are creating a better docker container for it that is a bit more comprehensive with Libreoffice included.
LibreElec Kodi/Chromium/Nextcloud is just a great combination or use the Goggle g-suite is so inclined and not bother with nextcloud.
Its provided through the LinuxSever.io which installs docker and gives access to various containers.
I do like it and will be prob how I set my Rock64 up.
(08-05-2017, 05:22 PM)dlu Wrote: How about other video players under Linux like mpv, mplayer, vlc? 

You can already use the gstreamer plugin if you install  gstreamer1.0-rockchip. Tried that with gst-launch on ayufan' debian stretch image and it worked.

Anyway I am looking forward to see the other player stuff, working too.
So we have gstreamer and ffplay maybe someone can put an install guide on the wiki with a list of limitations (AFAIK there is no encoding support or vp9/mpeg4/mpeg2 decoding support or 60Hz or 10bit support. AKA there is support for 4k h264/h265/vp8 +8bit +30Hz)
(09-09-2017, 03:40 AM)Kwiboo Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 05:09 AM)elatllat Wrote: looks like Kwiboo lacks documentation; rockchip is not fully developer friendly.
Hope it goes well.

It is true that I do not have access to VPU documentation but the progress is going very well and we have very good support from Rockchip...

More than half a year later, any progress on GNU/Linux video with that "very good support"?
The Odroid N1 (RK3399) has a video on GNU/Linux bug which the community might get fixed but there is also a wayland+chrome bug in the mali driver which can only be fixed by ARM, Rockchip, or someone with a Mali NDA.

I still have hope...
(02-28-2018, 04:49 PM)elatllat Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 03:40 AM)Kwiboo Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 05:09 AM)elatllat Wrote: looks like Kwiboo lacks documentation; rockchip is not fully developer friendly.
Hope it goes well.

It is true that I do not have access to VPU documentation but the progress is going very well and we have very good support from Rockchip...

More than half a year later, any progress on GNU/Linux video with that "very good support"?
The Odroid N1 (RK3399) has a video on GNU/Linux bug which the community might get fixed but there is also a wayland+chrome bug in the mali driver which can only be fixed by ARM, Rockchip, or someone with a Mali NDA.

I still have hope...

Kodi, mpv and ffmpeg code have landed upstream for drm/kms playback support, unfortunately we have seen video decoding issues with RK 4.4 kernel pushes after https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel...e-20171213.

Current focus is mainly around HDR support, all pieces needed for HDR exists in RK 4.4 kernel but there is a chicken or the egg problem in that we do not want to add vendor specific HDR support in kodi/mpv, and mainline kernel have not yet settled on what drm properties to use for HDR since there is no userspace implementation that uses them.
(mainline requires a full userspace implementation when adding new drm properties)

Regarding mali we got great support from RK when the gbm version was missing an extension that was enabled in wayland version, an RK engineer was able to change some mali ddk code and provide us with https://github.com/rockchip-linux/libmal...94a0700d74 to solve our issue.
I suggest you open an issue on RK libmali repo with good and simple code that can reproduce the issue and hope for the best.
Thanks for the update Kwiboo.
Hi everyone. So as I understand there is support for mali? how to install drivers in linux? could someone write what needs to be entered in terminal for that? I'm new in Linux

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Change Video Memory Amount gazhow64 0 676 12-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: gazhow64
  1024x600 resolution support monte 1 2,682 03-14-2021, 11:32 PM
Last Post: monte
  Encryption support rockfun 1 2,870 06-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: rockfun
  mainline kernel sound support Openwrt lucize 2 3,970 05-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: PakoSt
  5.3 kernel support? csrf 5 6,904 04-18-2020, 11:34 PM
Last Post: CameronNemo
Information New Builds from ayufan (0.8.X) w Video/3D/Mate desktop Luke 37 51,947 09-09-2019, 04:01 AM
Last Post: ayufan
  MSI-X support for KVM? pfworks 1 3,568 06-12-2019, 03:48 AM
Last Post: RussianNeuroMancer
  Hyperion/Ambilight support? qwasy 5 7,561 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: antaril
  Video : Media Script for the Rock64/4K video in Linux NicoD 1 4,139 03-30-2019, 02:17 AM
Last Post: zet_lab
  hardware-accelerated video transcoding (Plex) on Rock64 mdr 2 7,191 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: mdr