games
i will try as soon as i get my pinebook, i'm defenitely want to try this, with wine as well (on armbian preferably)
(08-13-2017, 02:18 PM)Luke Wrote: somebody ought to try out ExaGear for the purpose of emulating x86. They even list Pine64 as a supported board (so presumably it would also work on the PB).

I bought it and it is working totally well - now I can run any x86 linux packages with some performance loss (not much loss)

(08-13-2017, 02:37 PM)schepers_cp Wrote: i will try as soon as i get my pinebook, i'm defenitely want to try this, with wine as well (on armbian preferably)

Write a post about armbian, please, after test Smile
(08-13-2017, 04:31 PM)shirman Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 02:18 PM)Luke Wrote: somebody ought to try out ExaGear for the purpose of emulating x86. They even list Pine64 as a supported board (so presumably it would also work on the PB).

I bought it and it is working totally well - now I can run any x86 linux packages with some performance loss (not much loss)

(08-13-2017, 02:37 PM)schepers_cp Wrote: i will try as soon as i get my pinebook, i'm defenitely want to try this, with wine as well (on armbian preferably)

Write a post about armbian, please, after test Smile

soo... ExaGear worked?
Yes, here is the link for pine64 version
https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desk...ces/#other
Okay I bought ExaGear and it's so worth it! It's pretty neat to run Windows apps on ARM based Linux. But I wouldn't expect too much performance. Fallout 2 seems to be okay. I'm planning on trying CIV and maybe others if there is any suggestions?
Don't you think it is too expensive for such a software?
(08-15-2017, 08:19 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Don't you think it is too expensive for such a software?

Software which is pre configured and installs a way to run x86 apps on ARM. No way it's too expensive. It was way cheaper than I even expected. Yes there is free alternatives (I assume) but someone has done the work for me. I have no issue paying for it.

I would like to say that even with wine on pinebook playing games isn't that easy. Games are complex software so wine doesn't support them that well... And even if wine supports them then ExaGear might produce a weird error. And in addition you need to remember the limited power of pinebook. DosBox offers pretty decent gamelibrary so I'd start with that if you don't want to pay for ExaGear. 
(08-13-2017, 12:37 PM)shirman Wrote: I run this via wine and I'm totally happy
[Image: aA4mSGO.png]

How is your performance in fallout 2? On mine i only got something around 10fps. Felt really laggy. I used GOG version of the game on latest stable OS.

Should we start dedicated thread for ExaGear?
of course it is going to lag, here's why:

the cpu requirments on the gog version are: 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended)

note, with the x86 emulation, effective speed is 20-30% lower than the stock 1.2ghz clock speed, that plus the arm arch doesn't have as much instructions per clock as x86 does.

to put it simple: you basically get 800-950mhz of cpu power per core, and if you run this single thread game, then it speaks for itself basically.

aka: for games, just go up to 700mhz cpu requirements (linux variant) or 600mhz (windows variant using wine) for slight headroom

hope this explains why

edit1: also forgot to mention the linux os adds overhead too, but you know what i mean

edit2: i personally try to avoid gog.com versions for low specced pc's, as the original game's recommended requirements are a 120mhz pentium system (as found here: http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/fallout-2 )
Note, if you want to try Windows games without ExaGear. The components to get this most likely to work are "qemu-user" (user space processor emulation) and "Wine"

With "qemu-user" you can run x86 binaries on ARM. So with this you could potentially run closed source linux games directly on the Pinebook. With Wine you get the windows emulation. As qemu-user can link x86 binaries to ARM libraries, you can potentially run the Wine part natively in ARM.

Just not having to figure this our and work out all the kinks could already be worth the 25$ for ExaGear. They also claim to be faster then qemu, but maybe they are comparing to full system emulation and not userspace emulation.

We use qemu-user on x86 to run ARM binaries for various tests and stuff at the office. So I only have experience the other way around. And if I do feel the need to game on the Pinebook, I will most likely install OpenTTD or some Roguelike game.