Rock64 power consumption
(07-29-2017, 05:02 AM)dkryder Wrote: yeah, but following that logic you would have read many reports in the forum of pumping 12V or 9V through the pins fried the board

Not so much... too many people are afraid to do that, so either they ask enough questions, or they don't do it. Then there are the ones that got the wires back to front :-O

(07-29-2017, 05:02 AM)dkryder Wrote: using the bigger barrel increases the contact area between the barrel and the jack by ~ 30 - 40 percent.  it was essentially a cost decision, ask tllim he probably did not give much consideration if any the the smaller jack decreases overvoltage chances. many users will make a diy larger jack to smaller barrel which totally negates any over-voltage protections.

True, but how significant is that when you have changed from 2 approx 1mm wide by 4mm contacts on the microUSB to the type H barrel jack? We're not talking massive amounts of current here, so I don't think the increase in surface area is needed in this instance. If we were talking about some 6A+ of current, yeah, sure, but not the 1-2A range that the pine64 and other board are in. I do appreciate that the smaller jack won't stop people from DIYing to a larger connector (like I did with a pine64 due to the microUSB connector, but in my case, this was barrel to euler), but it still prevents the majority from doing it. Those people will just buy the cable, and since it's not a standard cheap microUSB, they'll be better off for it. For the others, they can just power via the raspberry pi 5v, euler DC in pins or make an adapter if they are silly enough to do so. And hopefully know a bit about electonics and wiring whilst they do so Wink

(07-29-2017, 05:02 AM)dkryder Wrote: how many power supplies with that size barrel have you seen? i've only seen pine64 power supply. that size barrel is not that common at all in the u.s.a. name 3 other sbc that use it

One of the few other SBCs that I know of that was sane enough to go barrel jack instead of the microUSB was the Cubietruck, and that uses the same size connector (as did all of the other boards Cubieboard made IIRC). As for any others, I don't follow all of them, so I don't know what others have done. I do know the Banana Pi M2 was going the 5.5x2.1mm route, which I see ending in a disaster, but hey, I just know the number of 12v security system 5.5x2.1mm connectors that are around... I don't design and retail SBCs! :-O
(07-26-2017, 10:12 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Not much;

... time to get a board and find out ! 

A whole bunch of responses and no one has answered the very simple question.

The quoted response being the most disappointing, from a moderator no less.
that's because short of testing under lab conditions with a power supply with data logger there is no answer to the specific question of "consumption at idle" nor
"at full load" , whatever the hell that is supposed to me. tell me, just what does under "full load" mean.? why don't you take a shot at answering the question if you are so disappointed at the discussion in the thread?
(01-12-2018, 01:34 PM)dkryder Wrote: that's because short of testing under lab conditions with a power supply with data logger there is no answer to the specific question of "consumption at idle" nor
"at full load" , whatever the hell that is supposed to me. tell me, just what does under "full load" mean.? why don't you take a shot at answering the question if you are so disappointed at the discussion in the thread?

huh? i don't know the answers...that's why i am here...

neither op or myself require lab condition scientific results, ballparks would be sufficient, or power consumption doing some general task, e.g., x while playing back 4k video

is this an impossible concept for you?
I see about 650-700mA idling with my headless Rock64, running cpuburn-a53 maybe up to 1.2A but the spikes are probably a lot higher...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(01-12-2018, 02:35 PM)jebivetar Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:34 PM)dkryder Wrote: that's because short of testing under lab conditions with a power supply with data logger there is no answer to the specific question of "consumption at idle" nor

huh? i don't know the answers...that's why i am here...

neither op or myself require lab condition scientific results, ballparks would be sufficient, or power consumption doing some general task, e.g., x while playing back 4k video

is this an impossible concept for you?

you were the one complaining about the discussion not answering the question, right? and now ballpark is ok?  seems to me ballpark was the basic theme to the whole thread that for some reason you felt no one was answering a question.
(01-12-2018, 04:53 PM)xalius Wrote: I see about 650-700mA idling with my headless Rock64, running cpuburn-a53 maybe up to 1.2A but the spikes are probably a lot higher...

thx
Attached is the photo of ROCK64 power measurement using lab type power supply.

When idle, the operating current stays around 450mA to 500mA when idle under Libre Kodi OS build. However, the current will jump up to 800mA-900mA or higher when loaded.

Hello,
I want to build a small server (backup, nextcloud, maybe minisatip, tvheadend , ...) especially with low power idle consumption and are interested in the Rock64 board, as it has some nice features like up to 4GB Ram or power toggle for the usb ports.

Do you have experience which minimal power consumption can be achieved with "headless" usage and only GBit Ethernet connected?
tkaiser posted at the armbian forum some results with 1.3W  (Gbit Ethernet) and 1.18W (fast Ethernet) (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/5098-min...ata-cable/).
And the videos, linked in this thread (https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid29809), show some similar numbers (but i don`t know if Ethernet was connected there)

That numbers seem to be already comparable to SBC with Allwinner H3/H5. But with the Allwinner Boards you can get even lower consumption with disabling GPU & HDMI Port and lower DRam clock speeds.
Have their already been done some similar investigations for the Rock64 ? If not and I decide to buy a Rock64, I could maybe do such tests.
I have not much experience with Linux yet, but with buying a SBC at first I want to learn more about Linux and maybe also do some development as I have already experience with C, C++ , Java, Python,... programming. Second step would be setting up a "productive" server, which can then be further improved.

I have read that at least at the beginning of the Rock64 development the DRam initialization was done with some rockchip binaries, so maybe no changes to the clockspeed could be made. Has this situation changed?

Also I have read about DRAM DVFS & GPU DVFS and seen some rockchip kernel commits that may be related to that.
Is DVFS for DRam and GPU already working, or are this features that may be implemented/working in the future?

And are their experiences with shipping times to Germany with the standard shipping (11$, not the expensive 30$ express shipping)? Especially with the not so far away Chinese new year ?

If shipping would take to long it may be worth to wait for the RockPro64, which might have mainline kernel support from the beginning.
(01-16-2018, 08:07 AM)Exec Wrote: Do you have experience which minimal power consumption can be achieved with "headless" usage and only GBit Ethernet connected?

I'll take the chance to sneak in another related question here. I'm waiting for my Rock64 to arrive any day. I'll also be using it as a headless server. Is there any way of completely disabling the GPU? Would it save any power to do so? I want my server to be as effective as possible, generating as little heat as possible, so I don't like the idea of a completely unused circuit sitting there Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 109 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,423 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,825 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 248 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,757 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,788 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,380 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,957 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 700 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 902 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267