Rock64 as a retro-gaming console: early impressions
(01-19-2018, 02:03 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 04:51 PM)Danielsan Wrote: Just for curiosity is R64 able to handle Dreamcast and GameCube emulation?

Thanks!

Nope. You'd need a rk3399 box for Dreamcast and an Nvidia shield for smooth(ish) GC emulation.

Thanks again, I saw that for rk3399 and the Nvidia Shield we are in another range of price and I am not interested about that, I am fine with my Rock64. I look forward to have the R64 in my hands, eventually I bought a 128gb sd card.
Hi guys,

I got my R64-64gb and I flashed Lakka on a Samsung EVO 128gb sd card.
Flashing and installation were fine however I did some tests and those weren't so exciting.

As first thing Lakka goes freeze for a couple of minutes quite often, with jut the ui as well with the emulation.
The Nintendo64 emulation with Paralleli was quite laggy, many slow downs and freeze, audio always slow down, minor graphical issues. I saw a PI3 with Recalbox doing much better than mine first attempt.

Probably there are some settings that I can tweaks to obtain better performance if anyone knows about these please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

D.
Pardon me to return to the same argument so many times but I am still working to get good performance.

Reading your post again I just noticed that you were using Android instead of Lakka in your test. Regarding the emulation on "Android vs Lakka" I made some questions on the Lakka forum and for the experts Retroarch plays nicer on Linux instead of Android, however I didn't get any of your goals even if I bought the 4GB version.

16-bit consoles with Lakka play nice but without shaders so I am using a simple overlay; N64 play awful with several issues, as you wrote best option is to use Mupen64plus instead of Parallel but the former isn't available on Lakka. PS1 emulation plays with a lot of issues, it drops frames constantly so the animation is spurty and the games are thus unplayable.

I would like to try the emulation through the Ayufan Android image so I would like to new if, apart Mupen, did you make your test through Retroarch or with each emulators separately?

Thanks!
Hey. I suggest you give this a rest for a few months. We've spoken to RecalBox guys and we'll be getting support for the Rock64. The issue, as I understand, is that Lakka currently do not use SDL; the RecalBox build will use kms instead of fbdev and SDL 2 +. This will, among other things, improve the situation when using overlays and shaders. This work will surely, in time, also find its way into Lakka and other retro-gaming distributions. 
Do also keep in mind the difference in time that the RPI (3) had for development and the Rock64 had. 

Have you tried emulation on Android ?

[edit] Answering your question; take a look at this thread if you want to build your own RetroPie image.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I will follow your suggestion and looking forward to Recalbox! Wink
(02-20-2018, 01:04 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey. I suggest you give this a rest for a few months. We've spoken to RecalBox guys and we'll be getting support for the Rock64. The issue, as I understand, is that Lakka currently do not use SDL; the RecalBox build will use kms instead of fbdev and SDL 2 +. This will, among other things, improve the situation when using overlays and shaders. This work will surely, in time, also find its way into Lakka and other retro-gaming distributions. 
Do also keep in mind the difference in time that the RPI (3) had for development and the Rock64 had. 

[edit] Answering your question; take a look at this thread if you want to build your own RetroPie image.

Woot woot! Great news! Can't wait. Is there a thread or some kind of blog to follow the progress?
(02-26-2018, 12:38 AM)Tony32 Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 01:04 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey. I suggest you give this a rest for a few months. We've spoken to RecalBox guys and we'll be getting support for the Rock64. The issue, as I understand, is that Lakka currently do not use SDL; the RecalBox build will use kms instead of fbdev and SDL 2 +. This will, among other things, improve the situation when using overlays and shaders. This work will surely, in time, also find its way into Lakka and other retro-gaming distributions. 

Woot woot! Great news! Can't wait. Is there a thread or some kind of blog to follow the progress?

Are you asking about RecalBox? Once the devs get their gear perhaps they'll open up a thread (or I will on their forum). Otherwise I am sure you'll be able to track the progress on their git.

I have never seen anyone working on any Recalbox porting, I don't believe there is anyone working on it. Unfortunately Lakka is truly buggy, I am going to try if the emulation is better through Android TV.
(04-03-2018, 09:05 PM)Danielsan Wrote: I have never seen anyone working on any Recalbox porting, I don't believe there is anyone working on it. Unfortunately Lakka is truly buggy, I am going to try if the emulation is better through Android TV.

i use the regular root android. retroarch and kodi (rkmc) together offer a great 4k mediacenter and a great retrostation.
(04-03-2018, 09:05 PM)Danielsan Wrote: I have never seen anyone working on any Recalbox porting, I don't believe there is anyone working on it.

Then you are clearly not in #Recalbox on freenode.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 113 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,448 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,863 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 254 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,770 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,790 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,396 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,973 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 703 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 905 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267