HW acceleration
Will there be hardware acceleration possible? Pine64 still does not have proper support...
I presume you are referring to 3D acceleration? (seeing how you can play back movies just fine in SMplayer and VLC on A64). This is me playing Mariokart64 on a very early pre-release Linux image for the Rock64. Hope this answers your question. 

[Image: G3TlaSk.jpg]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

In contrast to Allwinner, Rockchip actively supports 2D/3D/media acceleration on Linux (those are very distinct and different things based on different hardware IP and software building blocks - please dont throw them together :-) , so things look a lot better from the start compared to A64.

You can check out their open source github repo here, they have a media framework and a 2D(+glamor) / 3D accelerated X server on there.

https://github.com/rockchip-linux

Rockchip also does active Linux mainlining, they have a patchwork project where you can see the work in progress stuff:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/lin...chip/list/
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
If this has well supported hardware acceleration on Linux, then I'm definitely intrigued. Have to check the forums. Be cool if we also had WideVine for Netflix and the like and, dare I dream it? Real Time Clock support for programs like JACK and Guitarix....(if even workable on ARM processors...I don't know)
(07-09-2017, 11:30 AM)jkmooney Wrote: If this has well supported hardware acceleration on Linux, then I'm definitely intrigued.  Have to check the forums.  Be cool if we also had WideVine for Netflix and the like and, dare I dream it?  Real Time Clock support for programs like JACK and Guitarix....(if even workable on ARM processors...I don't know)

Widevine is already there on Android images. Wink
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(07-09-2017, 01:39 PM)fire219 Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 11:30 AM)jkmooney Wrote: If this has well supported hardware acceleration on Linux, then I'm definitely intrigued.  Have to check the forums.  Be cool if we also had WideVine for Netflix and the like and, dare I dream it?  Real Time Clock support for programs like JACK and Guitarix....(if even workable on ARM processors...I don't know)

Widevine is already there on Android images. Wink

I know, I run Netflix on my Pine64 with RemixOS, I was hoping for Linux support.

(07-04-2017, 12:29 PM)Luke Wrote: I presume you are referring to 3D acceleration? (seeing how you can play back movies just fine in SMplayer and VLC on A64). This is me playing Mariokart64 on a very early pre-release Linux image for the Rock64. Hope this answers your question. 

[Image: G3TlaSk.jpg]

I just noticed that's the Cinnamon Desktop.  That also needs hardware acceleration as I recall.  You running Mint?
huh ? thats Mate.

(07-09-2017, 06:43 PM)Luke Wrote: huh ? thats Mate.

Oh OK, I guess the color threw me off.
(07-09-2017, 07:27 PM)jkmooney Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 06:43 PM)Luke Wrote: huh ? thats Mate.

Oh OK, I guess the color threw me off.

poorly lit room / screen set to lowest brightness (working at night)

Has anybody tried the drivers from ARM? 
https://developer.arm.com/products/softw...user-space

As ROCK64 shares the SoC with FireFly RK3288, they must work?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hardware acceleration using FFmpeg gusarg81 0 2,817 08-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: gusarg81
  Some GPU acceleration for basic 2D under linux graphical 2 3,695 05-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Last Post: dougunder