Question on audio output
I just received my pinebook and I'm enjoying getting used to it, so far I'm using the installed Ubuntu/Mate system.

There are two aspects of the audio output that I wonder about.

1) low volume
2) speakers stay on when I plug in headphones.

The volume function buttons are working, but the highest volume is not loud enough
(07-19-2017, 07:59 AM)cootcraig Wrote: I just received my pinebook and I'm enjoying getting used to it, so far I'm using the installed Ubuntu/Mate system.

There are two aspects of the audio output that I wonder about.

1) low volume
2) speakers stay on when I plug in headphones.

The volume function buttons are working, but the highest volume is not load enough

Be sure to update your pinebook software to the latest image;  there are many fixes.

Also, make sure that you get the  latest  asound.state  file from the repo ;  this alsa file contains fixes to some of the audio difficulties including activating the mic(s).

I have amplifier speakers for my pinebook;  as with any computer, they enhance the listening experience;
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
>> MarkHaysHarris777

>> Be sure to update your pinebook software to the latest image;  there are many fixes.
>> Also, make sure that you get the  latest  asound.state  file from the repo ;  this alsa file contains fixes to some of the audio difficulties including activating the mic(s).

OK. will do

>> I have amplifier speakers for my pinebook;  as with any computer, they enhance the listening experience;

I have an O2 headphone amp and also play through my 80's vintage stereo. I will be researching a portable boombox to mate with my pinebook.
(07-19-2017, 09:20 AM)cootcraig Wrote: >> MarkHaysHarris777

>> Be sure to update your pinebook software to the latest image;  there are many fixes.
>> Also, make sure that you get the  latest  asound.state  file from the repo ;  this alsa file contains fixes to some of the audio difficulties including activating the mic(s).

OK. will do

>> I have amplifier speakers for my pinebook;  as with any computer, they enhance the listening experience;

I have an O2 headphone amp and also play through my 80's vintage stereo. I will be researching a portable boombox to mate with my pinebook.

simple phone wired computer speakers work well, but you might also research|try bt speakers ;  wireless solution
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I haven't yet tried the asound.state update, but I use this shell script to turn on or off my internal speakers when I want to use headphones:

Code:
> cat spkr

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in

off)
   amixer -q set "External Speaker" mute
   ;;
on)
   amixer -q set "External Speaker" unmute
   ;;
*)
   echo "syntax: spkr on|off"
   ;;
esac
(07-19-2017, 10:20 AM)brentashley Wrote: I haven't yet tried the asound.state update, but I use this shell script to turn on or off my internal speakers when I want to use headphones:

Code:
> cat spkr

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in

off)
   amixer -q set "External Speaker" mute
   ;;
on)
   amixer -q set "External Speaker" unmute
   ;;
*)
   echo "syntax: spkr on|off"
   ;;
esac

quite right !   ... very good;  thanks for posting !
Smile
marcushh777    Cool

(07-19-2017, 10:20 AM)brentashley Wrote: I haven't yet tried the asound.state update, but I use this shell script to turn on or off my internal speakers when I want to use headphones:

Nice work Brent Wink

If you're interested in sound switching, I have this script which is basically the same as yours, and this one which I need to get back to, which when left running in the background, should disable/enable the speakers in response to the headphones insertion/removal. Stage two is to change it to a systemd service so it is a bit neater. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone gotten HDMI output? rpm 1 2,994 12-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: cvmiller
  No HDMI output, hardware or software issue? TAO.vision 9 13,747 05-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Last Post: fbn
  question about my order ta2025 3 5,856 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Last Post: tllim