how to install emmc in just arrived pinebook
My pinebook just arrived today.  I was expecting the 64Gb emmc to be installed instead I am starring at it.

No instructions were included and I can't find any tutorial on how to install it?

Can the pine64 folks please provide a tutorial preferably with pictures on how to do this before I open the case of my brand new machine and potentially mess it up.
You will find the answer to your question in this thread.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-28-2017, 04:34 PM)Luke Wrote: You will find the answer to your question in this thread.

Ok.   Did that but the mmc has an android image instead of the same mate as shipped with the 16gb mmc.

Not familiar with booting and bios on this board.  On an RPi there is only the SD card so no option.  So can you point me to threads or wiki or such for getting started.

I'll need to boot off the ssd card slot or a usb stick.   Normal bios I could just tell the machine to override boot from those locations.

I'll need to copy the current 16gb mmc partitions to to my ssd card  (or download something else).  Put in the 64gb mmc and boot from sd or stick and write new partitions to 64gb mmc

BTW Does anyone make a mmc to usb adaptor?  That would make this task easier.  I could do it from another machine
You can find all the info on here if you look around a bit ... or open the wiki Wink  

But I will make it easy for you (although I recently wrote it up for someone else....): 

1) Get the installer utility for your PC (Mac/Win/Linux) 
2) Select 'Choose and OS' and Make sure to select Pinebook from the drop down menu (!!!)
3) Choose the OS you want; make sure it says Pinebook eMMC in brackets next to the OS
4) Insert a SD card into your PC 
5) flash the image (follow instructions)
6) take the SD out and place it into your Pinebook
7) follow the install to eMMC procedure outlined on screen
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Also, If you want to try, say, a Linux image before writing it to the eMMC, you can use the SD image and then use the /usr/local/sbin/pine64_install_to_emmc.sh script and choose from one of several different OSes to install (6 options at the time of writing this post).
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(06-29-2017, 11:57 AM)zer0sig Wrote: Also, If you want to try, say, a Linux image before writing it to the eMMC, you can use the SD image and then use the /usr/local/sbin/pine64_install_to_emmc.sh script and choose from one of several different OSes to install (6 options at the time of writing this post).

But if this is what you want to do, make sure you pay look not for Pinebook eMMC in step 3, but SD, as the eMMC images automatically install the eMMC, whereas the SD images remain on the SD card, allowing you to use them there or try them out, and run the install script if you later choose to.
Right, which is why I specified SD image.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
Just getting back to this but wanted to summarize what I did for others finding this thread

1.  Take out all the screws from the back side.
2.  starting from a corner near the screen pry open the back of the case and work your way carefully along that side and the screen side until the back panel releases.
3.  in the corner you will see a large black sticky cover above the mainboard.  Peel the edge nearest the side edge back until you see the emmc. 
4.  Pop the emmc out carefully and replace and press down the black sticky cover.
5.  Put the front edge of the bottom panel back in first and then press in from there to the panel edge (basically the reverse of #2)
6.  Put the screw back in, the short ones are for the front edge.

Now if like me you want the latest image not something more than a year old then go here.
https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases

7. download (grab the latest prerelase) and extract the xenial mate pinebook xz image.
8. transfer the .img file to a micro sd card (use the imager or I just use the gnome disks utility on my desktop)
9.  Put sd in pinebook and reboot (pw is pine64)
10.  Get on a wifi network
11.  Now go to the /usr/local/sbin directory, start a terminal and  then run this command
sudo pine64_install_to_emmc.sh xenial-mate 0.7.19     (or whatever release you want)
Note: the default is the latest STABLE release which is currently 0.6.x and is now way over a year old so if you don't specify a release that's what you'll get.
12.  Remove the sd card
13.  Reboot.  It's all good now so have a beer and get started customizing your mate install

The only bummer of this procedure is that you've already downloaded the image in step 7 but you have to do it again in the script step 11.

Hope this helps -  This really should be in the wiki somewhere instead of buried in some forum post.
(10-18-2017, 11:27 AM)dkebler Wrote: Just getting back to this but wanted to summarize what I did for others finding this thread

1.  Take out all the screws from the back side.
2.  starting from a corner near the screen pry open the back of the case and work your way carefully along that side and the screen side until the back panel releases.
3.  in the corner you will see a large black sticky cover above the mainboard.  Peel the edge nearest the side edge back until you see the emmc. 
4.  Pop the emmc out carefully and replace and press down the black sticky cover.
5.  Put the front edge of the bottom panel back in first and then press in from there to the panel edge (basically the reverse of #2)
6.  Put the screw back in, the short ones are for the front edge.

Now if like me you want the latest image not something more than a year old then go here.
https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases

7. download (grab the latest prerelase) and extract the xenial mate pinebook xz image.
8. transfer the .img file to a micro sd card (use the imager or I just use the gnome disks utility on my desktop)
9.  Put sd in pinebook and reboot (pw is pine64)
10.  Get on a wifi network
11.  Now go to the /usr/local/sbin directory, start a terminal and  then run this command
sudo pine64_install_to_emmc.sh xenial-mate 0.7.19     (or whatever release you want)
Note: the default is the latest STABLE release which is currently 0.6.x and is now way over a year old so if you don't specify a release that's what you'll get.
12.  Remove the sd card
13.  Reboot.  It's all good now so have a beer and get started customizing your mate install

The only bummer of this procedure is that you've already downloaded the image in step 7 but you have to do it again in the script step 11.

Hope this helps -  This really should be in the wiki somewhere instead of buried in some forum post.

Thanks on the write up.
Here is the disassemble instruction on PINE64 wiki: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pineboo...tep_Guides
(06-29-2017, 08:49 AM)Luke Wrote: You can find all the info on here if you look around a bit ... or open the wiki Wink  

But I will make it easy for you (although I recently wrote it up for someone else....): 

1) Get the installer utility for your PC (Mac/Win/Linux) 
2) Select 'Choose and OS' and Make sure to select Pinebook from the drop down menu (!!!)
3) Choose the OS you want; make sure it says Pinebook eMMC in brackets next to the OS
4) Insert a SD card into your PC 
5) flash the image (follow instructions)
6) take the SD out and place it into your Pinebook
7) follow the install to eMMC procedure outlined on screen

Installer utility does not run on Linux. Tried on 2 machines. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

Another way to get a SD Card prepared for boot with Pinebook?

After upgrading 16GB to 64 GB which did not happen in the HK factory, nothing is coming on the display/screen after the switch on light is ON.

Looking forward to some tips to get the Pinebook back to life.

Cheers
Tristan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinebook 1080p power/barrel connector/cable cel 0 496 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cel
  eMMC compatible with Pinebook leperotero 0 1,321 07-19-2022, 07:15 AM
Last Post: leperotero
Heart [solved] Anyone selling their Pinebook? feyn 0 1,168 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Last Post: feyn
  Move PB Pro eMMC 128 GB to Pinebook 11 1080p petet0n76 1 1,564 06-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Last Post: tllim
  UART switch Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 3 3,216 01-03-2022, 03:28 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Manjaro/Cinnamon customised on sdcard: how to transfer to emmc? quixote 0 1,472 10-16-2021, 02:03 PM
Last Post: quixote
Exclamation "6" Key direly needed for 11" Pinebook Corkonian 1 2,529 09-25-2021, 12:03 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pinebook 14 " Battery Swollen/Bulged billjon 1 3,538 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: barray
  touchpad on pinebook issues? ron_burgundy 14 13,509 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Pinebook doesn't charge anymore Reinoud 0 2,631 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Reinoud