How to for a newbie
I restored the original eMMC and the pinebook is working as expected. I'll attempt to follow up with the Pinebook ppl to see if they have a more detailed problem determination or a RMA process. I haven't checked on US availability of eMMC component but assume I can get this chip locally.
(08-25-2017, 12:49 AM)lisanke Wrote: I restored the original eMMC and the pinebook is working as expected. I'll attempt to follow up with the Pinebook ppl to see if they have a more detailed problem determination or a RMA process. I haven't checked on US availability of eMMC component but assume I can get this chip locally.

Is the Odroid XU4 modules the same?  Ameridroid has those.  They have pics so you can confirm if they look like the same format as Pine64's.
(08-25-2017, 11:25 AM)tlaswell Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 12:49 AM)lisanke Wrote: I restored the original eMMC and the pinebook is working as expected. I'll attempt to follow up with the Pinebook ppl to see if they have a more detailed problem determination or a RMA process. I haven't checked on US availability of eMMC component but assume I can get this chip locally.

Is the Odroid XU4 modules the same?  Ameridroid has those.  They have pics so you can confirm if they look like the same format as Pine64's.

They are
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

When I ordered my Pinebook I also bought a 32GB eMMC, larger was not available at that time. After flashing a SD card and booting up I get the error 'eMMC not found'. I have created a ticket about this problem with Pine64. Last week I ordered a 64GB eMMC, which arrived today.
With this one I get the same error message 'no eMMC found'. Replacing the eMMC with the original one and the Pinebook starts up okay.
BTW all eMMC's are bought from Pine64.
I haven't heard back from Pine64 to my email or to the problem ticket I entered. I'm still very please by the quality+price of pinebook... but I think they have a problem they are not addressing. It's not clear they are aware, too busy to respond, or intentionally not responding but aware. It does give me pause in making further recommendations to others.
(09-22-2017, 12:13 AM)lisanke Wrote: I haven't heard back from Pine64 to my email or to the problem ticket I entered. I'm still very please by the quality+price of pinebook... but I think they have a problem they are not addressing. It's not clear they are aware, too busy to respond, or intentionally not responding but aware. It does give me pause in making further recommendations to others.

Pine is aware.  The problem is with the recent Sandisk modules ( 64G ) and the Pinebook.  The Foresee modules ( still have supply ) are fine in the Pinebook.  The development community is working on correcting the problem from a software standpoint;  hopefully this approach will bare fruit soon.  In the mean time there is a supply of Foresee modules that does work in the Pinebook now.  

Continuing discussions are on-going on  IRC  (see address below)  and that is probably the best place to monitor for updates on this concern. 

Shy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Hello!

I've just received a 64GB module ordered from Pine64. It has SanDisk printed on it. When booting Xenial-mate from SD it says: "no emmc module".

Is it the same problem discussed here?

thanks
Robert
Same here, support has said just to wait few weeks and there will be an update for SanDisk eMMC support. So, waiting for an update Smile
----------
Sign to my Telegram channel ❤️
Support asked me to try it with Android to determine if it's only a Linux incompatibility. I mentioned I didn't have time to isolate the problem for them.
They said the gave the issue to an "Open Source developer" which kind of sounds like an open source contributor :-p.
I'm hopeful but not at all confident there will be a fix... certainly not expecting anything soon.
(10-14-2017, 05:48 PM)lisanke Wrote: Support asked me to try it with Android to determine if it's only a Linux incompatibility. I mentioned I didn't have time to isolate the problem for them.
They said the gave the issue to an "Open Source developer" which kind of sounds like an open source contributor :-p.
I'm hopeful but not at all confident there will be a fix... certainly not expecting anything soon.

Well seems that you're wrong in your assertion. From ayufans git (changelog): 

Quote:
  • 0.7.18: Make u-boot and kernel to support eMMC 5.1,

Here you'll find the newest pre-release image.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need some summary information about hardware support by OS for a newbie tahf 10 13,184 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Last Post: tahf
  Newbie pinebook owner freemilk 4 5,676 08-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Riggs