How to for a newbie
Hello guys.
I have received my pinebook today.
so, i'm so glad, but no notice to understand how to :
1. change te eMMC, because i've bought an emmc 32go card

2. when I have sucess and change the emmc flash card, must i reinstall the system ? if yes, how, with an sd card ?

thanks a lot for your help

de France, bonne journee.
(06-26-2017, 08:13 AM)jmbernabotto Wrote: Hello guys.

2. when I have sucess and change the emmc flash card, must i reinstall the system ? if yes, how, with an sd card ?

1) open the bottom of the Pinebook. On the main board remove the metal cover over the components; the eMMC module is the FORESEE chip (on its own little PCB) next to the LCD connector (towards the top of the case). Gently detach it and pop the new one in. When putting the metal cover back over the components make sure that it fits into the little metal slots on all four sides. To learn more about disassembly, please see the teardown thread including pfeerick's post with pictures attached.

2) yes. You can use the Pine Installer - select 'Pinebook' from the drop-down menu, select the image you are interested in (and designated as flashable to eMMC), insert a SD card and let it do its thing. After the installer finished, take the SD card and put it into the Pinebook. From there power the Pinebook ON and follow the easy steps to flash the image onto your new eMMC module.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thanks Luke. I'm going to try this.
OK, I have a problem before change my emmc.
When I try to flash another system, the green led flash but the screen let black screen. When I remove the sd card with my new system, the old system (i mean ubuntu mate) boot normally. so, I can't install a new system !
i don't understand what's happening
please, could you help me ?
Did you select "Pinebook" from the dropdown menu on the top of the Installer? It sounds to me like you are using an image for the regular Pine64...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-26-2017, 02:08 PM)xalius Wrote: Did you select "Pinebook" from the dropdown menu on the top of the Installer? It sounds to me like you are using an image for the regular Pine64...

Han han  Confused I haven't seen this option !!
Thanks Xalius.
I'm going to use the good image !
It's better when I use the good option. I install Q4OS with any difficulties. Thanks Xalius.
(06-26-2017, 08:38 AM)Luke Wrote:

1) open the bottom of the Pinebook. On the main board remove the metal cover over the components; the eMMC module is the FORESEE chip (on its own little PCB) next to the LCD connector (towards the top of the case). Gently detach it and pop the new one in. When putting the metal cover back over the components make sure that it fits into the little metal slots on all four sides. To learn more about disassembly, please see the teardown thread including pfeerick's post with pictures attached.

2) yes. You can use the Pine Installer - select 'Pinebook' from the drop-down menu, select the image you are interested in (and designated as flashable to eMMC), insert a SD card and let it do its thing. After the installer finished, take the SD card and put it into the Pinebook. From there power the Pinebook ON and follow the easy steps to flash the image onto your new eMMC module.

So, I carefully removed the installed eMMC module, installed the new 64gb eMMC. I put the flash sd with up to date Xenial in slot and booted.... the script to update says "No eMMC detected...". I disassembled and re-seated the eMMC... still says "No eMMC detected...". Now what? 

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
(08-24-2017, 02:52 PM)lisanke Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 08:38 AM)Luke Wrote:

So, I carefully removed the installed eMMC module, installed the new 64gb eMMC. I put the flash sd with up to date Xenial in slot and booted.... the script to update says "No eMMC detected...". I disassembled and re-seated the eMMC... still says "No eMMC detected...". Now what? 

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not all eMMC modules are supported;  most should work.  Where did you get the module?
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I got the eMMC directly from the people who build the pinebook. Like someone else here, I was kind of hoping they'd populate the pinebook build with the selected eMMC (and maybe throw in the original as spare)... no such luck. I received the pinebook with the original eMMC (it worked) and then installed the 64gb eMMC which doesn't appear to work. I suspect there May be a trick... there was a metal shield and the original module was glued w adhesive to the metal plate (so it came up with the shield when I pulled it off). there was also some electrical tape covering the other connections to the mainboard which I let nearly in place. It appears the eMMC connects to the mainboard thru a single (very small) rectangular many pin connector which appears to compliance fit. It's also off-center asymmetric and has only one apparent orientation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need some summary information about hardware support by OS for a newbie tahf 10 13,176 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Last Post: tahf
  Newbie pinebook owner freemilk 4 5,666 08-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Riggs