java crashes
LS,

I just received my pinebook and I think it's great. Just a small obversation:
java and anything which uses it causes a segmentation fault and core dump. I did an apt install scilab to see if I could use the pinebook to do some calculations. I was 'treated' by aformentioned error. Running java or javac  gives a similar result. I then got a fresh jdk from www.java.com and unpacked it in /opt; this seemed to work except that I still have /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0.----- installed and scilab still crashes.

Any ideas on this (apart from changing $PATH so the /opt/jdk is used before the 'other' one)?

I am only half familiar with the workings of alternative, I noticed a /etc/alternative/ directory where there was a java link present.

Any help would be help-full on this one.

Erik Ulijn
Delft.
Erik,

Did you update to the recent image using the Installer ?

PS. Does DVB-T rely on java by any chance ?
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I just downloaded the latest image 0.5.5.65 to SD card and it boots very well . No more java seg errors. Wonderfull! Scilab seems to run as well (althoug on the console I get an error 'libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate' but all 3D views seems to work.

Remaining question is howto get this system installed onto the eMMC flash drive? Have been googling, but couldn't find an answer.

Erik.

PS: I didn't did the last image thing as I assumed doing apt update && apt upgrade as root would get the same result. I was clearly wrong.
There is a script in /usr/local/sbin/ pine64_install_to_emmc.sh that downloads and installs the various images to eMMC. So you can boot from sdcard and then install an image to eMMC. Afterwards boot from eMMC and move some stuff from your old home over to the home on the eMMC.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
do want you want erik, but if it were me i would wait a couple months before i placed a system doing much more than browsing/watching videos/writing notes on the emmc unless you have burning desire to be test mouse for a very new system that has not been around long. i mean, good luck and everything but be aware of the risks. i have had a sopine for several months now and have not even installed emmc.
I just installed 0.5.5 on emmc using above given commands. it seem to work very well. it is faster than the SD card (class10 card branded PHILIPS) and now even spyder3 is running happily.

Happy to be a test mouse, I have been running linux based systems for quite a while now. I might even consider a larger emmc if shipping isn't that riduculusly crazy expansive. (getting the $100 pinebook 14" to my door costs 68euros in dhl charges of which 24 seems to be fixed.)

A happy customer and glad with the fast feedback. Several years ago I tried the ASUS EEEPC 700. Got a question on their form about their wireless. Took them 4 weeks to react and another 12 weeks to suggest a solution. This community seems to be so much faster, GREAT!

And yes all java troubles seems to have gone, scilab is running well...

Erik
Delft (NL)
I can't seem to get any java programs to run on the pinebook. They all crash. I don't think they are able to initialise the display for some reason. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

martin@pinebook:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_131"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

e.g. Jedit, installed via synaptic gives this output:

martin@pinebook:~$ jedit
12:42:34 [main] [error] jEdit: java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: awtAppClassName
12:42:34 [main] [error] jEdit: at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredField(Class.java:2070)
12:42:34 [main] [error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:159)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: error displaying splash screen !
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(EventQueue.java:1321)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(EventQueue.java:1296)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(SwingUtilities.java:1348)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.showSplashScreen(GUIUtilities.java:2076)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:387)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.SplashScreen.getSplashScreen(SplashScreen.java:117)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.SplashScreen.<init>(SplashScreen.java:41)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities$10.run(GUIUtilities.java:2080)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:301)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:756)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:726)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
12:42:34 [main] [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: Exception in thread "main"
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:518)
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getSystemClipboard(HeadlessToolkit.java:309)
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Registers.<clinit>(Registers.java:621)
12:42:37 [main] [error] main: ... 1 more
martin@pinebook:~$
sometimes java throws all kind of errors even when something basic like forgetting to set JAVA_HOME or setting JAVA in your path.
Sickofthesea, you did install the latest and greatest Mate from the website, did'nt you? On my pinebook since the upgrade jave runs just fine.
If only I knew how to post a screen shot on this forum i can show you my running jedit
5,3 I installed on it by

'apt install jedit'
[Image: screenshot.png]
Erik
Delft

PS: I just figured out how to add pictures, it is a bit clumpsy, but it works...
(07-03-2017, 09:49 AM)Erik Wrote: Sickofthesea, you did install the latest and greatest Mate from the website, did'nt you? On my pinebook since the upgrade jave runs just fine.
If only I knew how to post a screen shot on this forum i can show you my running jedit
5,3 I installed on it by

'apt install jedit'
[Image: screenshot.png]
Erik
Delft

PS: I just figured out how to add pictures, it is a bit clumpsy, but it works...
My spanking new SD of 0.5.5.65 runs like a charm, and I'm using dear old jedit happily. Thanks for the solution, Erik.
Jared