DOA Pine64 ?
Big Grin 
So I finally got my board to boot from an Android Image.  There were two problems. 1)  The right monitor, required a known working HDMI cable and a newer TV with HDMI connection. 2)  Install the distro using the proper SD format and loading tool. Smile
Well, I've had my Pine64 for about two weeks now, and was about ready to send it back.  Same problem, no video and only a red led to indicate any life at all.  (I'm using the power supply sold as an add-on to the board).  Using a cable with hdmi on one end and a DVI connector on the other to connect to my monitor.

After reading all the posts here, I hooked it up directly, hdmi-hdmi to a TV set, and what do you know, IT WORKED !!  Booted up into Debian, graphics and all.  That's a good thing, at least I don't have a DOA board, hardware-wise.

This leads to another question.  Using hdmi-hdmi is not my plan, since I don't have an hdmi-native display.  So I seem to have a decision to make.

1) If the hardware on the board will not work with a hdmi-dvi conversion, the board will not suit my use-case, and I will have to return it.  Otherwise, I need to know, without a lot of mail-order experimentation, what I need to buy to make it work.

2) If it is a software issue, I can wait, but I need to know when this serious issue is likely to be fixed.  If the answer is more than a month, I will again consider sending it back, because it does not answer my needs.

Seems like a great little SOC/board, at a really incredible price, but my time is worth something, too.  Which is it, 1) or 2) ??
(05-19-2016, 06:26 PM)brf Wrote: Well, I've had my Pine64 for about two weeks now, and was about ready to send it back.  Same problem, no video and only a red led to indicate any life at all.  (I'm using the power supply sold as an add-on to the board).  Using a cable with hdmi on one end and a DVI connector on the other to connect to my monitor.

After reading all the posts here, I hooked it up directly, hdmi-hdmi to a TV set, and what do you know, IT WORKED !!  Booted up into Debian, graphics and all.  That's a good thing, at least I don't have a DOA board, hardware-wise.

This leads to another question.  Using hdmi-hdmi is not my plan, since I don't have an hdmi-native display.  So I seem to have a decision to make.

1) If the hardware on the board will not work with a hdmi-dvi conversion, the board will not suit my use-case, and I will have to return it.  Otherwise, I need to know, without a lot of mail-order experimentation, what I need to buy to make it work.

2) If it is a software issue, I can wait, but I need to know when this serious issue is likely to be fixed.  If the answer is more than a month, I will again consider sending it back, because it does not answer my needs.

Seems like a great little SOC/board, at a really incredible price, but my time is worth something, too.  Which is it, 1) or 2) ??

I will let the more tech-savvy members answer your question in full as I do not wish to misguide you. What I will say however is that I know for certain that some HDMI-DVI switches/adapters work but most do not (I tried many). As you can see here this adapter worked for me (to get black colours displayed correctly) and it also worked for some other people - but not for everyone. [edit] In the thread I linked you can also read tkaiser's explanation of the problem I encountered and pine.tree's explanation as to why some adapters work.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

A common error is either the adapter, or the resolution of the screen. Please confirm that your DVI connection is 1080p. The board will not display anything if the resolution is different than what you configure in the OS.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
(05-19-2016, 06:26 PM)brf Wrote: Well, I've had my Pine64 for about two weeks now, and was about ready to send it back.  Same problem, no video and only a red led to indicate any life at all.  (I'm using the power supply sold as an add-on to the board).  Using a cable with hdmi on one end and a DVI connector on the other to connect to my monitor.

Hmmmm.  1-I don't see the hdmi-dvi conversion working out.  I tried several monitors and even did a pin for pin test with my volt meter to see if the adapter was the issue.  2-Software (images) are well on their way so I think you could find a proper image.

After doing this for a while (with other startups)  I decided to spend the extra money and go with a more mature board when the project has your sort of needs.  If I were you I'd sell on Ebay instead of returning as they are getting a premium.  Good luck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for PINE64, Model: Sopine A64 lamson 0 1,701 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: lamson
  AC Adapter Which One? Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (Year 2016) databaseprogrammer 2 3,356 06-17-2021, 05:35 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Just discovered Pine64 ! - first Q philip_rhoades 4 5,624 04-29-2020, 10:13 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  A newest user in Pine64 Aliko 1 3,917 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PINE64 Installer - Simple Way to Image Your MicroSD pineadmin 101 149,213 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Emails from pine64 received as spam by gmail Matan 2 5,662 08-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Leiaz
  How to handle a Pine64 correctly gbjensen 6 16,225 03-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Last Post: InsideJob
Information Creating a NAS server in Pine64 javi_cala 4 8,219 01-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Last Post: bartes
  The 6 most common reasons why Pine64 won't boot Andrew2 109 206,981 10-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Technolab88
  Pine64 installer way slow flashing Paraplegic Racehorse 2 4,433 01-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dkryder