No HDMI output, hardware or software issue?
Hi!

As I ordered also the hdmi adapter with the pinebook, i wanted to test the hdmi output. Unfortunately the monitor keeps being black and showing me "no signal".

I tried with my RasPi Zero (with the same adapter) and it worked, so cable/adapter are alright. 

I tried with Ubuntu Mate and with Q4OS. Clicking on "Rescan monitors" doesn't change everything. Do i need some special drivers to get hdmi output?

Best regards
Yann
(06-16-2017, 03:45 PM)TAO.vision Wrote: Hi!

As I ordered also the hdmi adapter with the pinebook, i wanted to test the hdmi output. Unfortunately the monitor keeps being black and showing me "no signal".

I tried with my RasPi Zero (with the same adapter) and it worked, so cable/adapter are alright. 

I tried with Ubuntu Mate and with Q4OS. Clicking on "Rescan monitors" doesn't change everything. Do i need some special drivers to get hdmi output?

Best regards
Yann

Mirrored screen works fairly well on the Android 7.1 build, so I guess it's the drivers that need to mature a bit.
Yes, with Android I also had working mirroring with hdmi, but the picture on the external screen was very "shaky", specially when moving the mouse cursor. I think that's some calibrating problem.

Does anyone know, what drivers I need to install/configure to get hdmi output working with Ubuntu and/or Q4OS?
(06-18-2017, 11:50 PM)TAO.vision Wrote: Yes, with Android I also had working mirroring with hdmi, but the picture on the external screen was very "shaky", specially when moving the mouse cursor. I think that's some calibrating problem.

Does anyone know, what drivers I need to install/configure to get hdmi output working with Ubuntu and/or Q4OS?

I'm presuming you want mirrored or cloned? I don't think it will be happening anytime soon. You can turn on the HDMI only, or the LCD only, by changing the disp_screen0, disp_screen1 and disp_mode settings in /boot/uEnv.txt. Be warned, get it wrong, and you have no output from your pinebook, so it would be advisable to have at least a minimal pinebook install on a microSD ready incase you need to break back in to change the settings easily.
Well, no, I don't really need mirrored or cloned screen. I don't like it, when there's 2 screens of different sizes. So when plugging in the HDMI to the Pinebook, I would only work on the external screen.

So switching the boot-settings isn't that problem. I just need to figure out, how I can find a practical workaround to easy switch the settings.
Just a question: Is that such a big deal to implement that functionality? Because for using a Laptop, this is quite an essential thing. And why should the pinebook be designed with external hdmi, when you can't really use it?

Does anyone know, if this is on the todo-list of Q4OS or Ubuntu Mate?
My plan for short term would be to have a key to press on boot time to switch to HDMI for the handful of times a year I need to run a presentation or show some photos on the TV, that should be easy to implement with the functionality that is available (either LCD or HDMI mode). Dual head support is a bit tricky since the documentation and state of the BSP video driver is not so great, theoretically it should work and the first goal would be to have clone mode. Personally I would want to wait for mainline Linux to have the new video driver support finished and work on that...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-20-2017, 03:21 AM)xalius Wrote: My plan for short term would be to have a key to press on boot time to switch to HDMI for the handful of times a year I need to run a presentation or show some photos on the TV, that should be easy to implement with the functionality that is available (either LCD or HDMI mode). Dual head support is a bit tricky since the documentation and state of the BSP video driver is not so great, theoretically it should work and the first goal would be to have clone mode. Personally I would want to wait for mainline Linux to have the new video driver support finished and work on that...

Is there any update to this ? I'm very eager to get this to work. I also need to do some presentations from time to time. 
A clone of the screen sent om the HDMI would be fine, two screens is really not needed. I'm happy see the same a the audience.

Ole
(04-18-2018, 07:56 AM)olews Wrote:
(06-20-2017, 03:21 AM)xalius Wrote: My plan for short term would be to have a key to press on boot time to switch to HDMI for the handful of times a year I need to run a presentation or show some photos on the TV, that should be easy to implement with the functionality that is available (either LCD or HDMI mode). Dual head support is a bit tricky since the documentation and state of the BSP video driver is not so great, theoretically it should work and the first goal would be to have clone mode. Personally I would want to wait for mainline Linux to have the new video driver support finished and work on that...

Is there any update to this ? I'm very eager to get this to work. I also need to do some presentations from time to time. 
A clone of the screen sent om the HDMI would be fine, two screens is really not needed. I'm happy see the same a the audience.

Ole

Please try out Anarsoul mainline Linux build which capable of simultaneous LCD and HDMI output, here is the link: https://github.com/anarsoul/linux-build/releases
(04-19-2018, 05:53 PM)tllim Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 07:56 AM)olews Wrote:

Ole

Please try out Anarsoul mainline Linux build which capable of simultaneous LCD and HDMI output, here is the link: https://github.com/anarsoul/linux-build/releases

Tried this version and it is also not working for me. It detects just the BOE 14" screen but not the ASUS Monitor I plugged in via mini-HDMI port. Also I see with the anarsoul/linux-build of late 2017 no way of having it installed on the emmc - no script/no documentation around that. Is there a way of making it work? What am I doing wrong here?

More pressing is having a second monitor simultaneously connected and working. Any suggestions how to get this sorted out? https://hackaday.com/2017/04/28/hands-on...-pinebook/ says mid may there is a fix for this but it seems to me that the Pinebook is not capable of using its HDMI port on any external monitor. The specs a very misleading here as well why having an HDMI port in the first place if not supported?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [major issue] how to stop it from booting when charging? eFqLLnGo 2 3,307 07-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Last Post: jezek
  How to remove pinebook WiFi and Bluetooth hardware chip Shoananas 2 4,423 06-18-2019, 03:00 AM
Last Post: ThomasFink
  I need some summary information about hardware support by OS for a newbie tahf 10 13,180 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Last Post: tahf
  Has anyone gotten HDMI output? rpm 1 2,995 12-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: cvmiller
  HDMI rpm 2 3,770 11-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Question on audio output cootcraig 6 6,776 07-22-2017, 01:10 AM
Last Post: pfeerick