Zero Energy when arriving?
Hi!

I just got my 14" pinebook and could not start it, when I press the power button, the power light goes green for a few moments and a red battery appears on the screen. When I plug it in, the power light goes also green, but just for a few moments, then no light at all.

Is that normal? Even with power supply plugged in, I cannot boot the pinebook, just getting the red battery signal again.

Yann
you probably just need to let it charge for awhile without trying to use it at the same time
(06-16-2017, 07:37 AM)TAO.vision Wrote: Hi!

I just got my 14" pinebook and could not start it, when I press the power button, the power light goes green for a few moments and a red battery appears on the screen. When I plug it in, the power light goes also green, but just for a few moments, then no light at all.

Is that normal? Even with power supply plugged in, I cannot boot the pinebook, just getting the red battery signal again.

Yann

Yup, just charge it for an hour or so and you will be able to boot, this confused me as well today when my pinebook eventually arrived.
You were right, it needed some time, now it's working :-)

Yann

I have exactly the same behaviour with my Pinebook received 3 weeks ago - when I press the power button, the power light goes green for a few moments and a red battery appears on the screen, etc.

I connected to the power supply for more than 3 days and still the same. I tried with 2 other power supplies (same rating as Pine supplied one) and still not able to charge or boot the Pinebook.  I am trying to resolve this with support team but no progress to date. 

Does anyone have an idea which part of the Pinebook could possibly be defective - I suspect it is the battery charging circuit. 

Thanks for any support,

Oz
I believe that you suspicion is correct Wink From a discussion that was had a couple of months ago with the manufacturer of the PMIC chip (X-Powers), it was suggested that when the battery is completely flat, there the initial power-on current is too high, and the chip goes into self-protection mode. However, this was supposed to have been resolved in a change to the battery design, so it is not a good sign if you are suffering from that issue. If you are have the skills and willingness to tinker, the workaround is to remove the battery, and put it on a external lithium battery charger and charge it that way, and then you shouldn't have any problems, unless you let the battery get to those critically low voltages again (which typically the pinebook won't let you do).

Addendum: Firstly, please try what TLLim suggested. Secondly, I forgot to say before... someone else has suggested in the past that you try plugging and unplugging the power leading several times... It's worth a try before you take all the screws out... If the screen comes on, I'd probably try to time it with that... plug it in, pinebook LCD comes on, pull the plug, wait a second, plug it in again (while pinebook still 'on' hopefully), that sort of thing.
(07-13-2017, 01:06 PM)ozzienl Wrote:

Yann

I have exactly the same behaviour with my Pinebook received 3 weeks ago - when I press the power button, the power light goes green for a few moments and a red battery appears on the screen, etc.

I connected to the power supply for more than 3 days and still the same. I tried with 2 other power supplies (same rating as Pine supplied one) and still not able to charge or boot the Pinebook.  I am trying to resolve this with support team but no progress to date. 

Does anyone have an idea which part of the Pinebook could possibly be defective - I suspect it is the battery charging circuit. 

Thanks for any support,

Oz

Please try below method:

1. Open the bottom case, totally 10 screws.

2. Do not plug in the power supply to Pinebook, unplug battery connector and then plug in. This action reset the AXP PMU due to lost power. Press the power key for 2 seconds.

3. If the Pinebook able to boot up, go to step 4. if not able to boot up, repeat step 2.

4. Once Pinebook boot up, plug power supply to Pinebook and the charging should start.

5. Please lets the Pinebook charge at least two hours. Prefer continue charge till full.