Win10 IoT (PINE A64(+)) 10.0.15063.0_20170602
Still no replies from anyone at Pine.
How do they expect us to work with these devices if they will not support the board.
my guess, based on 2 years of observing the company, is the pine64 board is end of life or very near it. look, they screwed us on the pine64 / win10 IoT thing. microsoft at one time was willing to give them a shot but there never was any interest on the part of pine64 to put the resources into even trying to make it successful, imo. pine64 was depending on allwinner engineer(s) and eventually allwinner lost interest. right now it is just too late in the product cycle and the pine64 board itself is somewhat lacking considering other candidates. pine64 management has stated multiple times that they are a hardware company and that software comes mostly from community. what that means, in this case is don't look for a heck of a lot of support from them concerning the pine64 board Win10 IoT at this point, if ever. maybe they can take what they have learned along with allwinner and release a new board at some point that will work well with Win10 IoT. that's the way i see it.
(03-30-2018, 02:56 PM)dkryder Wrote: my guess, based on 2 years of observing the company, is the pine64 board is end of life or very near it.   look, they screwed us on the pine64 / win10 IoT thing.  microsoft at one time was willing to give them a shot but there never was any interest on the part of pine64 to put the resources into even trying to make it successful, imo.  pine64 was depending on allwinner engineer(s) and eventually allwinner lost interest. right now it is just too late in the product cycle and the pine64 board itself is somewhat lacking considering other candidates. pine64 management has stated multiple times that they are a hardware company and that software comes mostly from community. what that means, in this case is don't look for a heck of a lot of support from them concerning the pine64 board Win10 IoT at this point, if ever. maybe they can take what they have learned along with allwinner and release a new board at some point that will work well with Win10 IoT. that's the way i see it.

If you look around cheap price have WIN 10 IOT only  rpi3  have keep it to support.  , other side Bxxxxx Win10 IOT forum at same have this problem.

And from bootlin kickstarter vpu support , pine64 have paid it this money to support A64. So this is your said PineA64 end of life or very near it?

https://bootlin.com/blog/kickstarter-for...ly-funded/

if really want to use WIN 10 IOT , buy RPI3.
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

(03-30-2018, 04:29 PM)joe Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 02:56 PM)dkryder Wrote: my guess, based on 2 years of observing the company, is the pine64 board is end of life or very near it.   look, they screwed us on the pine64 / win10 IoT thing.  microsoft at one time was willing to give them a shot but there never was any interest on the part of pine64 to put the resources into even trying to make it successful, imo.  pine64 was depending on allwinner engineer(s) and eventually allwinner lost interest. right now it is just too late in the product cycle and the pine64 board itself is somewhat lacking considering other candidates. pine64 management has stated multiple times that they are a hardware company and that software comes mostly from community. what that means, in this case is don't look for a heck of a lot of support from them concerning the pine64 board Win10 IoT at this point, if ever. maybe they can take what they have learned along with allwinner and release a new board at some point that will work well with Win10 IoT. that's the way i see it.

If you look around cheap price have WIN 10 IOT only  rpi3  have keep it to support.  , other side Bxxxxx Win10 IOT forum at same have this problem.

And from bootlin kickstarter vpu support , pine64 have paid it this money to support A64. So this is your said PineA64 end of life or very near it?

https://bootlin.com/blog/kickstarter-for...ly-funded/

if really want to use WIN 10 IOT , buy RPI3.

yes, that is what i said. the original pine64 set of boards, based on pine64 lack of support of win10 IoT and other softwares from the company, is either at or very near end of life as far pine64 company is concerned. of course they will support any 3rd party efforts to give the boards any additional traction. i guess we will know at end of this year if this project you mention has been able to be successful. i tend to view the LTS version coming into existence as more evidence that the company will retire the original pine64 boards fairly soon. it has something to do with production costs. the number of boards that need to be built during a production run should be able to be sold within a certain time frame or the unsold boards become a drag on the profitability of the company. boards that are no longer popular, or the excess number of used boards in the market, just tend to decrease bottom line. there is no reason to do a run of 1,000 boards if they will sit on shelves for way too long. if i really wanted to do win10 IoT rpi3 would be next to last board i'd use. minnowboard turbot is my choice.
(03-30-2018, 02:36 PM)chrmac72 Wrote: Still no replies from anyone at Pine.  
How do they expect us to work with these devices if they will not support the board.

Pine64 software based on community.
Why are you not to try go to Github  talk your problem with Leeway213 ? he last time updated other open source project  repositories data is 6 days ago ,  he is here   .

https://github.com/Leeway213/BSP-aw1689/issues
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

That's not the case dkryder. The LTS board was created taking on board feedback and criticisms of the original pine64 board (poor choice of power connector, no SPI flash for boot, no eMMC, etc) and has guaranteed availability until 2022 to ensure anyone who wants to use it in projects has the confidence of availability.

As far as Windows IoT support... I think that is a systemic issue resulting from Microsoft themselves wanting to jump on the IoT bandwagon without understanding what it is about, and expecting the board designers (especially in the ARM space) to do all the work for them. And I have to ask... why denigrate the raspberry pi by comparing it to a board some three times its price? joe's point is valid... if you want to play with Winblows IoT at this price point and architeture type, Raspberry Pi is the way to do it... they get all sorts of perks, support and benefits from being a charitable foundation which startups like pine64 will never get... so might as well enjoy it! Although I really don't know what the fuss is about... and hackster.io's 50 Windows IoT projects compared to 3206 Arduino projects or 1936 Raspberry Pi projects doesn't make me want to bother finding out.
ok pfeerick, explain to me why it would be a great idea to make another 1,000 of the various original pine64 boards when the company has a much improved variant of any of the originals available? as well as there are a lot ot used original pine64's that are very difficult to sell. almost to the point people pass them up if they are in the free bin at hacker shows. as far as rpi stuff there are just too many people that think that board can do everything well and it simply can not. to say it can is b.s. i'm not comparing a minnowboard to a rpi , the rpi simply can not measure up, there is no reason to feel that the rpi could do win10 IoT as well as the minnowboard. i realize this fact. i'm saying it is laughable to use the rpi for projects it clearly is under built for.
(03-31-2018, 09:21 AM)dkryder Wrote: ok pfeerick, explain to me why it would be a great idea to make another 1,000 of the various original pine64 boards when the company has a much improved variant of any of the originals available? as well as there are a lot ot used original pine64's that are very difficult to sell. almost to the point people pass them up if they are in the free bin at hacker shows. as far as rpi stuff there are just too many people that think that board can do everything well and it simply can not. to say it can is b.s.  i'm not comparing a minnowboard to a rpi , the rpi simply can not measure up, there is no reason to feel that the rpi could do win10 IoT as well as the minnowboard. i realize this fact. i'm saying it is laughable to use the rpi for projects it clearly is under built for.

Why? Because people want that particular form factor or the functionality that board brings with it? It's the same reason some current products still to this day are using landlocked Rasberry Pi 1 A boards, when it has been well and truly 'superceded'. The pine64 brought with it (which the rock64, etc, DOES NOT) battery support and dedicated LCD + touchscreen support, and camera FWIW). It's also, in essence, a sopine board without the module design - so you can have both. 

Yes, there are people who think the RPi can do everything well, and there are those who don't. The same as those who were misled by the original marketing campaign for the pine64... And it's no more laughable than using a $150 board when a $15 board will do the job! :-P
The main problems I see is that we have a board that has great potential for IOT applications but the lack of support is disheartening.
The manufacturer not only the community should be responsible for delivering a product that does what it claims to do.
I am seriously debating abandoning this board and go back to PI. At the minimum with PI the support is there and I can try to overcome the hardware limitations.
I have contacts at Microsoft who have also tried to reach out for the info on the BSP files and making this board work correctly and still no replies from anyone that can make good on the promises.
I have noticed differences even in the way file structures differ from PI to Pine. A application that runs perfect on PI and puts files in the local app folder, does not put those same files in the same location on the Pine. I am so disappointed in this board and the support.
Getting ready to just trash the board and move on if the folks at Pine cant provide a working product as promised.
crickets............

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  +LTS/SOPINE Can Win10 IOT be used on PINE A64-LTS? uart 1 4,574 03-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  unable to deploy my application to the Pine using Visual Studio 2017 Matthew 9 13,529 03-08-2018, 04:20 AM
Last Post: zio69
  Windows 10 IoT finally released on Pine A64 platform tllim 25 60,388 08-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: terone63
  Pine 64 on 512MB embedder 3 7,725 12-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Toriless