Bricked Pinebook?
I got the Hardkernel adapter as well and it works with my Pine eMMC modules...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-11-2017, 03:21 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 12:16 AM)CaptainZalo Wrote: The eMMC to microSD adapter arrived yesterday. It's a bit silly in way of design, so it won't work in the sd slot on the pinebook due to slidelock. But with a slight press, it initialized and mounted. I've tested two usb adapters too, and the adapter works well. I say go for it.

Great to hear! (and that you got the eMMC back up and running in the meantime as well). Can I just confirm that you got the super expensive hardkernel oneTongue  Big Grin

Confirmed. Smile
It came in a huge box and plenty of packaging with FedEx in just a week, so I'm a happy camper.
Whoops! I just got Ayufan's latest Mate running on my PB and was checking it out. Everything seemed to be working ok, I needed to walk away so I wanted to lock it, but hadn't quite figured that part out yet, I clicked on suspend. Apparently that sent it into some weird place that I can't get back from. The power led is on and I can see the backlight is on on the screen, but nothing is actually on the screen. Escape does nothing, Long power press does turn it off. I tried inserting a micro SD card that had a good version of Ayufan's I3 I am playing with, but when I power it back on it doesn't go thru any sort of boot up process so it won't boot to the micro SD card. Long press turns it off, long press turns it back on, but no OS access. I don't have anything I can't re-image here so I don't really care how I get back to a working unit, but I can't figure how to do a master reset and get back to square one. Any suggestions?
(06-23-2017, 03:12 PM)n3rDy Wrote: I tried inserting a micro SD card that had a good version of Ayufan's I3 I am playing with, but when I power it back on it doesn't go thru any sort of boot up process so it won't boot to the micro SD card. Long press turns it off, long press turns it back on, but no OS access. I don't have anything I can't re-image here so I don't really care how I get back to a working unit, but I can't figure how to do a master reset and get back to square one. Any suggestions?

That's really weird. The pinebook will always boot from the microSD and then the eMMC... it's hard-wired into the CPU, you can't break that bit?? So if you've managed to get it to switch off via long press, it should boot from the microSD when you power it back up. IRC might be you best bet to work though this, but in the mean time, what happens when you hard power it off (so green power light) and plug in the charger cable? Does the unit power up, and show the battery charger logo, and then power off?
Thanks pfeerick, it is working now. Not sure if it was leaving it powered off for several hours or if it was taking your advice and plugging it in to power while it was turned off. It immediately showed the battery graphic on the screen and then when I hit the power switch it booted up and ran perfectly. It has been working fine for a while now I rebooted and suspended it and it woke back up fine. Now on to my I3 testing.
One thing that makes the PB different from the Pine64 is that the battery is permanently connected and the PMIC as well as probably the ARISC never loose their state completely. I had at least once to disconnect the battery to recover from a weird state while I was testing stuff in u-boot... that being said if ayufan got my pull request in for the next release there should be now a PMIC reset function enabled that is triggered by holding the power button really long (>16s). On my test image that seems to work, at least the RTC seems to be reset after that so it must remove battery power shortly as well...
Excellent point. Before I got a chance to get back to working on it one of the things I was thinking of was if I might be able to unplug the battery in order to facilitate a true hard reset.
Hi there,

I cant't boot the Pinebook...I only see the Pinebook bootscreen and nothing happenes.What can I do? I wanted to extend the internal flash with a f disk command and after the reboot the Pinebook won't start anymore. Could somebody help me to the pinebook running again. I have a new micro flash card an the pine64 installer. But I don't know how to reinstall ubuntu mate...

Could somebody of you help me through..?
thx and greets from Austria, phil
If you have the Pine64 Installer then select Pinebook from the drop down menu on the top, select an Ubuntu image for eMMC, write that to your sdcard. Then put the sdcard in the Pinebook and it will install a fresh Ubuntu image on your eMMC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,213 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 920 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,598 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 960 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,598 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,501 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,695 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,612 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,975 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg