Enabling wolfson wm8960 i2c/i2s sound codec
Hi,

I'm trying to use the chip wolfosn wm8960, that is connected with I2C interface and I2S bus.
Polling it on the I2C bus, the peripheral is recognized with address 0x1a on i2c-1, but nothing related to this device like sound card found.

Another preliminary step follewed is the kernel compilation, making by activation the driver wm8960 found in sound/soc/devices/ like built-in and enabling all voices found in  "--- ASoC support for SUNXI" of menuconfig.

At this step, applying the new kernel, I don't found any peripheral with arecord -l or aplay -l or with pactl command and there isn't any row in the syslog/kernlog that show me that the wm8960 device is found.

There are few references for this codec, but I'm trying to follow the guide posted for another soc (i.MX6) in which the device driver already built-in inside the kernel source tree, showed at: https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-106295

Another link (for i-MX6) report also that:

Code:
WM8960
Driver location: linux/sound/soc/codecs/wm8960.c
Machine driver location: linux/sound/soc/imx/imx-wm8960.c

1.In Kernel Configuration, go to
Device Drivers --> Sound card support --> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture --> ALSA for SoC audio support --> SoC Audio for Freescale i.MX CPUs -->

2.Select <*> SoC Audio support for IMX boards with WM8960

In this case, I found
Code:
linux/sound/soc/codecs/wm8960.c
but nothing related to
Code:
Machine driver location: linux/sound/soc/imx/imx-wm8960.c

I have to specify, for example, some configuration in the dts device tree?
Is impossible to see the peripheral because there isn't the imx-wm8960.c machine based driver file matching the pine64 board?

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Messages In This Thread
Enabling wolfson wm8960 i2c/i2s sound codec - by saro - 05-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sound amp and speakers for the case Israeldelamo 4 7,029 12-29-2019, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Sound quality from audio jack devanl 0 3,246 10-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: devanl