MATE / XFCE / LXDE
Anyone know what the reason was that MATE was chosen for the desktop environment?
I just installed LXDE and it looks like right off the bat it has a good 250-400 MB more RAM free after initial login. Seems like this would be a better choice for slim hardware like the Pinebook has.  I haven't used it for more than about 15 minutes so far, but seems to be much snappier.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not hating on MATE. I use it at work on my Dell desktop with full Compiz effects too.  Love it.
(05-15-2017, 07:46 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: Anyone know what the reason was that MATE was chosen for the desktop environment?

Preference:

... Mate is popular;  and well known.  Mate is usable from a lay-persons view-point , has what is expected , is solid and functions well.  

As you have noted, other environments work fine ( for some perhaps better ) and anyone is free to install what they wish;  Mate in no way prevents that.

Actually, the images are shipped without gui.  Mate can be easily installed via script;  however, anything else can be installed also ( gnu+linux is all about freedom and choice, nothing has changed in that way ).
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(05-15-2017, 07:46 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: Anyone know what the reason was that MATE was chosen for the desktop environment?
I just installed LXDE and it looks like right off the bat it has a good 250-400 MB more RAM free after initial login. Seems like this would be a better choice for slim hardware like the Pinebook has.  I haven't used it for more than about 15 minutes so far, but seems to be much snappier.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not hating on MATE. I use it at work on my Dell desktop with full Compiz effects too.  Love it.

Just preference... newcomers generally want a GUI with it being a laptop form factor, and MATE was the best blend of pretty/familiar and lightweight. But there is nothing to stop you using one of ayufan's other images, such as the minimal one, which should give you just the command line, and then you can whatever you want from that. Wink

https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases
Awesome...thanks for the insight guys. Going to play around LXDE for a while and see how it does for daily driving.
(05-16-2017, 03:44 AM)pfeeric Wrote: Just preference... newcomers generally want a GUI with it being a laptop form factor, and MATE was the best blend of pretty/familiar and lightweight. But there is nothing to stop you using one of ayufan's other images, such as the minimal one, which should give you just the command line, and then you can whatever you want from that. Wink

https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases

I'm waiting for my Pinebook to arrive and would like some advice on what Linux image to start with.

I would like to run Debian Testing with an XFCE desktop.  Based on this post I would start with the minimal image from ayufan.  I'm comfortable doing this.  Where would I find this minimal image?

However, would it be possible to use?
pine64-image-debianxfce*
cootcraig,

For starters, the image you found would not work (out of the box), you'd have to substitute the uboot, kernel,etc. But it's also not worth the hassle as the image is very outdated at this point. Now the good news is that Lenny is working on a new debian image (with drm and mali) for the Pinebook - whether it will be done by the time you get your PB or not, that I don't know. So, if you would want debian TODAY on your PB then you would have to build an image yourself using ayufans stuff, and then install XFCE (or whatever DE you prefer). Don't know how knowledgeable you are, but this is beyond what most users are capable of doing.

edit: minimal image refers to ubuntu without a DE just CLI. You can find the minimal image here (as well as other stuff such as simple image for building (?), i3 image, mate image, etc.) ... if you don't mind ubuntu, and want XFCE then this may be the easiest thing temporarily.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-22-2017, 10:08 AM)Luke Wrote: cootcraig,

For starters, the image you found would not work (out of the box), you'd have to substitute the uboot, kernel,etc. But it's also not worth the hassle as the image is very outdated at this point. Now the good news is that Lenny is working on a new debian image (with drm and mali) for the Pinebook - whether it will be done by the time you get your PB or not, that I don't know. So, if you would want debian TODAY on your PB then you would have to build an image yourself using ayufans stuff, and then install XFCE (or whatever DE you prefer). Don't know how knowledgeable you are, but this is beyond what most users are capable of doing.

edit: minimal image refers to ubuntu without a DE just CLI. You can find the minimal image here (as well as other stuff such as simple image for building (?), i3 image, mate image, etc.) ... if you don't mind ubuntu, and want XFCE then this may be the easiest thing temporarily.

OK. As of today I would use the ayufan-pine64 image you linked. Thanks.
I rather like XFCE and LXDE myself. Thinking I may try to cobble together a Kali setup once I get used to fiddling around with this thing a bit.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Display battery charge value with LXDE and lxpanel wlad 1 4,769 12-04-2019, 03:36 AM
Last Post: pnts-se
  HDMI out not working on Pine64 11.6" XFCE Fox7799 3 5,396 08-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Last Post: sdgathman
  Adding coherent_pool to boot.cmd on Xenial Mate by Ayufan causes boot loop k_mp 0 1,899 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: k_mp
  Problems putting Ubuntu (Xenial Mate) on my replacement eMMC. frank-zappa 11 13,319 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Tips and Tricks for Ayufan's Bionic LXDE Image NoraCodes 8 10,377 01-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Last Post: binholz
  How to Configure Screen Brightness in mate on pinebook via terinal? shirman 6 8,836 12-02-2018, 05:37 AM
Last Post: mikee3000
  Pinebook Ubuntu XFCE screen resolution options Fox7799 2 4,341 12-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Fox7799
  Pinebook 11.6" sound with Ubuntu XFCE Fox7799 1 3,089 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Fox7799
  Problems to install qemu on Xenial Mate (for EMMC) demian 1 3,070 03-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: xalius
  Install pygame in Ubuntu Mate pkgAstronaut 2 4,164 08-31-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: pkgAstronaut