First Impressions
(05-13-2017, 03:07 AM)ayufan Wrote: The script is made by design, it is easier to download a fresh copy than trying to reconstruct everything. It is also safe. It is interesting to see that you had corrupted rootfs, maybe some error check did fail and the connection was interrupted.

> I'd not even gone near it

Surprisingly I have been using it like already 10 times to install and upgrade android, every time, without any problems.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was...

I didn't go near it because I didn't want to have to wait for another hour+ for another copy of the image that I had just downloaded to the SD card to be downloaded, instead of simply copying the rootfs. Plus since the pine installer is stupidly slow on my connection, it took nearer 3 hours to download the initial image... so make that four hours+ total. It's ok once you have the install script if you want to install the latest version regardless of the version (or choose a specific version), but it also doesn't avoid the fact that you need an active internet connection to do the install. I would prefer the OPTION of installing to NAND in a similar fashion to what has been done in the past on other SBCs, hence why I asked martinayotte if he could provide the command he used or an adapted script.
Unfortunately, I don't have any scripts to provide.
I've done it manually at command prompt using a tar piped in another tar, doing copy of only relevant directories, avoiding the ones that should be created with a simple "mkdir", ie.: /dev, /mnt, /run and /sys.
pfeerick: maybe we should extend script to accept downloaded image?
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
That would be nice !
Maybe ges required can be inspired from Armbian "nand-sata-install" which does exactly that task of copying SDCard into eMMC along with tweaking rootfs UUID in /etc/fstab, althouth those tweaking are maybe not needed with the current u-boot.
(05-13-2017, 08:32 AM)ayufan Wrote: pfeerick: maybe we should extend script to accept downloaded image?

That would be fantastic... perhaps simply a prompt of does the user want to download an image, or use a previously downloaded image (or even just an automated check for the existence of a suitably named and located image file which jumps straight in to writing it after a confirmation prompt). Thus you don't have to deal with SD transfer stuff... just using the already downloaded image.
nand-sata-install is cool, but also quite complicated, I prefer to avoid that complexity.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
nand-sata-install looks complicated, because it provide some gui, support several fs types, support many board types, stopping services for prevention, etc.
But the basics are simple : rsync with exclude-list between two partitions.
I got a coupon code for the 14" model and was about to order, till I got the shipping price, $31!  So really, it's a $131 laptop.  At that price, there's better hardware and more stable OS out there (like Chromebook).  Looking at Amazon today, with free 2 day shipping, there's $145 Samsung and Asus Chromebooks.

I'm no Pinebook hater, I was planning on getting one and excited when I got the email with coupon.  But $31 shipping on a $100 item is silly.  They should arrange for a US distributor and send them in batch from China and then individually from the US.  Or, offer a slower shipping option for less.  I get shipments from China all the time and never was the price close to $31.

Maybe the $90 & $100 price point wasn't possible, so they padded the shipping price?  In an case, the Pinebook is really a $131 laptop.  Super disappointed.

Anyway, I've got two 14" Pinebook coupons if anyone wants to use them.  Private message me if you do.

Tim
(05-16-2017, 12:48 PM)teckel Wrote: I got a coupon code for the 14" model and was about to order, till I got the shipping price, $31!  So really, it's a $131 laptop.  At that price, there's better hardware and more stable OS out there (like Chromebook).  Looking at Amazon today, with free 2 day shipping, there's $145 Samsung and Asus Chromebooks.

I'm no Pinebook hater, I was planning on getting one and excited when I got the email with coupon.  But $31 shipping on a $100 item is silly.  They should arrange for a US distributor and send them in batch from China and then individually from the US.  Or, offer a slower shipping option for less.  I get shipments from China all the time and never was the price close to $31.

Maybe the $90 & $100 price point wasn't possible, so they padded the shipping price?  In an case, the Pinebook is really a $131 laptop.  Super disappointed.

Anyway, I've got two 14" Pinebook coupons if anyone wants to use them.  Private message me if you do.

Tim

you are right, it is in fact 130 dollars notebook, but what kind of chromebook you can get for that price? can you link some? I am just curious. I still prefer ARM based notebook to same chromebook that only supports that strange and useless Chrome OS.
Just a note that I was able to burn a DVD using an external Samsung DVD writer on the right side USB port (but not the left side port). Mouse works on either side.
Ubuntu Mate

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New pinebook owner - first impressions rhialto 3 4,434 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Pinebook, (very) first impressions Surehand53 1 2,931 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Luke
Thumbs Up my first impressions llornkcor0 1 2,441 10-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Pinebook first impressions Pagliacci 11 10,429 09-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Last Post: kuszinger