Whether 64GB emmc for Pinebook
Question 
OK, my question comes from being very ignorant of Linux and the limits of the Pinebook. My expectation is to use the machine mostly to do writing via Google's Sheets and Docs. Given the availability of largish SD micros and USB sticks, why would I want to upgrade from the 16 to 64 GB eMMC? Would it be like buying a Jeep to drive to work on the freeway and dream of driving over the cars in front of me when traffic stops, but never try?
(08-14-2017, 02:51 PM)Siliconserf Wrote: OK, my question comes from being very ignorant of Linux and the limits of the Pinebook. My expectation is to use the machine mostly to do writing via Google's Sheets and Docs. Given the availability of largish SD micros and USB sticks, why would I want to upgrade from the 16 to 64 GB eMMC? Would it be like buying a Jeep to drive to work on the freeway and dream of driving over the cars in front of me when traffic stops, but never try?

Love the analogy despite not quite understanding it :Tongue The reason you may wish to purchase larger eMMC instead of, say, using a large SD is that eMMC is considerably faster.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Lots of people buy very expensive, tricked out SUVs, but never venture off the asphalt. Or in the extreme, drive over stalled traffic ala monster trucks.

At any rate, the answer so far is the speed of the memory on board versus external that comes into play. What am I likely to burn into eMMC memory, beyond what is there by default, that needs the additional speed? Does the underlying hardware make use of virtual memory?
(08-14-2017, 03:42 PM)Siliconserf Wrote: Lots of people buy very expensive, tricked out SUVs, but never venture off the asphalt. Or in the extreme, drive over stalled traffic ala monster trucks.

At any rate, the answer so far is the speed of the memory on board versus external that comes into play. What am I likely to burn into eMMC memory, beyond what is there by default, that needs the additional speed? Does the underlying hardware make use of virtual memory?

Forget the vehicle analogies;  they're not helpful, and usually not relevant either.

If you want to use the Pinebook as an actual computer (primary notebook) for any kind of real work, you will want at least 64G eMMC module;  and frankly you'll be happier with a 128G module;

My daughter's mac air came with 64G and she was quickly complaining through the school year (college) that she needed more memory;  my son's mac air came with 128G and was fine most of the year for him.  I have been getting by with 32G on my Pinebook;  but I'm going to upgrade it, and 128G is going in there....

Wink
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Pine64.org only lists up to 64GB. Even though larger eMMC chips are produced, could the Pinebook utilize such if it were built? And if so, has Pine64 shown any interest in such?
(08-14-2017, 06:49 PM)Siliconserf Wrote: Pine64.org only lists up to 64GB. Even though larger eMMC chips are produced, could the Pinebook utilize such if it were built? And if so, has Pine64 shown any interest in such?

This has more to do with cost and availability than bus width or system limitations.  The eMMC module contains both the flash memory and the controller in a single plug and play package;  128G modules are a little pricey, and (not sure) perhaps the store carries only the 64G at the moment;  could be.

The 128G module should work fine;  if I'm wrong one of my homies will correct me, and I'll retract the claim.

Wink
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I suspect you are right about the Pinebook supporting that size as the modules appear to have a common bus/footprint. Amazon lists a 128GB eMMC module that looks exactly like the 16GB part at $100 delivered. But upgrading to that and you have a $200 machine, which takes you close in cost to an HP notebook with much larger RAM, HD/SSD, tec,. and Win10. Still, for my original use objectives, the 16GB Pinebook is a nice solution.
the 16GB will be fine for Ubuntu + Google Docs, in my humble view. I didn't go above 10gb used on my 64gb module until I started syncing a bunch of files to local storage. you also have to install the 64gb module yourself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,180 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 900 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,220 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,498 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 944 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,577 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  How to transfer customised OS from SDcard to emmc quixote 1 3,004 01-07-2022, 06:38 AM
Last Post: alanwake82
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,448 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,641 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,543 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR