About the Pinebook - What to expect
Guys from Pine64, are you thinking about more powerfull single board computers, that will be possible to use in PB and replace the current one?
(06-30-2017, 03:03 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Guys from Pine64, are you thinking about more powerfull single board computers, that will be possible to use in PB and replace the current one?

Yes. Not a board per se but a PCB based on other boards that may be released in the future (kinda like the current PB board is based on the Pine64). Hence the modular design of the unit.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-30-2017, 03:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Yes. Not a board per se but a PCB based on other boards that may be released in the future (kinda like the current PB board is based on the Pine64). Hence the modular design of the unit.

Great. Do you have some information about planned future PCBs and their specifications?
(06-30-2017, 03:11 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 03:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Yes. Not a board per se but a PCB based on other boards that may be released in the future (kinda like the current PB board is based on the Pine64). Hence the modular design of the unit.

Great. Do you have some information about planned future PCBs and their specifications?

Nope, as this likely won't happen for quite some time. Perhaps the upcoming A63 from AW could be a candidate ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-29-2017, 02:43 AM)epigon Wrote: Hello Luke!!!

Fantastic effort your guys put into this!!! Just love it!!!
Would it be possible to elaborate into pine64 vs pinebook PCB?

Thanx
//Fred

I got it....

The laptop is not based on Pine A64+ board, nor the upcoming SOPINE A64 module, and instead they had to design a custom board to meet the thickness requirements.
Pinebook on cnx-software...

//Fred
When second version of pinebook
better power (12v input, usb input (from powerbank)
better screen, better keyboard PgUp pgDown etc keys for terminal.
Hi team!

First of all I want to Thank you! for your work and passion!

My Pinebook arrived 2 weeks ago. I am very glad to use itSmile. Of course, a lot of thing doesn't work perfect, but for me it is a best device for work and hobby.

I was looking for cheap device with long time battery life, support linux and arm. I am using my Pinebook to manage linux systems/servers via console, create web application (PHP, Nodejs), Google Docs. For these cases everything works fineSmile!

What is my expectations for the next version?
Hardware:
1) Better keyboard and touchpad - now it is annoying
2) Better components - better CPU, more RAM
Software:
1) HW video acceleration for Linux

For this price it is a better device which I was using Smile!
Thank you so much!
Guys, I just would like to say that Pinebook is very interesting device and I wanted it since I first read about it. Now I am using it for more that a year and I must say that it is still an interesting device. I like its shape and weight, also because it does not heat too much and it is easy to use on a lap.

I just miss some features that I should not expect from 100 USD device, like performance, touchscreen, Windows support, RAM, SSD, tablet behaviour, etc. This is why I will slowly switch to some 2 in 1 device with touchscreen support, like Chuwi Hi13, Teclast F6 or something similar. Anyway, Pinebook is the first laptop computer that I bought (not counting the corporate laptops in my work that I have been using). So, maybe this is the idea where to move on with Pinebook and similar computers from Pine64.
Hello!

I write this especially for new users.
After a years active use I have some notices.

The overall best software for "notebook like" use is the xenial-mate and possibly the latest from here:

https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases

I'm continuously testing other OSes as well, but only from SD card. They are better and better, but IMHO for production use
mate-xenial is the right choice. Eyes are on Q4OS and Armbian, they are evolving fast. Armbian seems to be the fastest as a desktop for what it does, anyway.

I use my Pinebook for everyday production especially through accessing other computers (x2go, freerdp-x11 and terminal/ssh) over openVPN remote connections. I'm an application developer and GIS expert sometimes working on office documents also. It could all be done on Pinebook.

Browsers (speed, especially heavy javascript pages) are slow. Sylpheed for example is a far better idea to reach your gmail than opening gmail.com in a browser.

Sound, LCD brightness and newer emmc support is ok for me with xenial-mate. Download the latest release yourself from the page above and use Pine Installer or Etcher to put it on an SD. For production use install it to emmc.

BTW: if one could afford it is a good idea to get a 64GB emmc. Fun to replace, could be done at home.

bye
Robert
better keyboard, pgup, down, home,etc,
more keys, i hate function for increase screen, why not rotor
one for volume one for screen light

i use i3 and terminal programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,210 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 920 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,594 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 957 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,596 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,499 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,692 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,611 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,975 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg