Pine A64+ won't boot?
(03-17-2016, 01:33 PM)g_t_j Wrote: Have you tried any other ''verified and working'' micro SD card?

To my experience, there are tons of fake cards out there which ''offer'' at best unreliable and slow access to your data / OS.  A the worst, they just don't work at all.

Just realised I had an 8GB counterfeit Sandisk Ultra in my collection which was slowing my Pi and giving me unexpected errors.

Hm, well, that's something I hadn't thought of.  Is there a list of verified working micro SD cards?

This is the one I am using - a PNY 32GB card: http://amzn.com/B00W77CIZ4
(03-17-2016, 01:47 PM)falk.ben@gmail.com Wrote:
(03-17-2016, 01:33 PM)g_t_j Wrote: Have you tried any other ''verified and working'' micro SD card?

To my experience, there are tons of fake cards out there which ''offer'' at best unreliable and slow access to your data / OS.  A the worst, they just don't work at all.

Just realised I had an 8GB counterfeit Sandisk Ultra in my collection which was slowing my Pi and giving me unexpected errors.

Hm, well, that's something I hadn't thought of.  Is there a list of verified working micro SD cards?

This is the one I am using - a PNY 32GB card: http://amzn.com/B00W77CIZ4

TL Lim said that has tested Samsung and Sandisk cards up to 128GB and work flawlessly.

I guess it's quite early for a list of verified accessories to be formed as very few backers have already got their boards but, in the meantime, what you can do is check if you have a Sandisk or Samsung microsd lying somewhere in your house (or in your mobile) and do the test.
(03-17-2016, 01:47 PM)falk.ben@gmail.com Wrote: Hm, well, that's something I hadn't thought of.  Is there a list of verified working micro SD cards?

There are two things to take care of when it's about SD cards:

a) an enormous amount of fake SD cards exists (less real capacity or simply fraud)

b) random I/O matters therefore don't only look at the 'speed class' but rely on real tests that measured also random I/O. Using the wrong card will result in the Pine64 behave sluggish or not

That's why we (Armbian team) recommend the following: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob...re-sd-card
(03-17-2016, 02:26 PM)Andrew2 Wrote:
(03-17-2016, 01:47 PM)falk.ben@gmail.com Wrote: Hm, well, that's something I hadn't thought of.  Is there a list of verified working micro SD cards?

a) an enormous amount of fake SD cards exists (less real capacity or simply fraud)

b) random I/O matters therefore don't only look at the 'speed class' but rely on real tests that measured also random I/O. Using the wrong card will result in the Pine64 behave sluggish or not

That's why we (Armbian team) recommend the following: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob...re-sd-card

That's brilliant stuff. Thanks for posting.

I got 3 of those Sandisk Extreme U3s so I'm lucky enough having the 2nd best according to that test. 
I'll be buying a Samsung EVO+ at some point to try it as well.
(03-17-2016, 02:35 PM)g_t_j Wrote:

I got 3 of those Sandisk Extreme U3s so I'm lucky enough having the 2nd best according to that test. 

I've tried two different micro SD cards, both of which aren't fake and perform as expected:
PNY U3 Turbo Performance 32GB Class 10 UHS-I
Transcend 32GB MicroSDHC Class10 UHS-1

I've also tried 3 different power supplies:
Oneplus One 2.0A
2.4A (can't remember the brand)
Amazon basics 2.1A

I've also tried 3 different USB cables which all work fine for charging my phone

Either the Pine64 is super picky about the devices it can work with, or I got a dead board.  I've of course contacted Pine64 but don't expect a reply any time soon.
(03-17-2016, 08:34 PM)falk.ben@gmail.com Wrote:

I've tried two different micro SD cards, both of which aren't fake and perform as expected:

Oneplus One 2.0A
Amazon basics 2.1A

I've also tried 3 different USB cables which all work fine for charging my phone

Either the Pine64 is super picky about the devices it can work with, or I got a dead board.  I've of course contacted Pine64 but don't expect a reply any time soon.

Sorry to hear that. 
Apparemtly you got a lemon unit...

Hope they will strenghten the quality control as soon as possible.
(03-17-2016, 08:34 PM)falk.ben@gmail.com Wrote:

Oneplus One 2.0A
Amazon basics 2.1A

Please advise how you judge by not boot up or dead board. If judge by no video output, please advise what type of  HDTV or monitor that you are using?
For those trying to get your Pine64 working, I was eventually able to get mine going. It still has a red light (I guess that's normal?) but everything is working now. Check out the video I made, you can find links to all the components I used, and the software/images as well, in the description in the video.

(embedded video if you just want to watch and don't need the instructions from the description)

(03-22-2016, 05:34 AM)Hexydes Wrote: For those trying to get your Pine64 working, I was eventually able to get mine going. It still has a red light (I guess that's normal?) but everything is working now. Check out the video I made, you can find links to all the components I used, and the software/images as well, in the description in the video.

(embedded video if you just want to watch and don't need the instructions from the description)

What power supply were you using? If you can, link it please. I don't want to waste money on trying to find working ones Tongue
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
Just wanted to provide a quick update. Things have been running stable for me since my last post - I'm using a dedicated 5v 2.1A USB micro power supply and the same SD card, along with a wired mouse, keyboard and USB controller on an unpowered hub. I've since added a nice 15mmx15mm copper heatsink for the CPU and two small aluminum heatsinks for the RAM.

I also added a power button using the header on the side of the board. I scavenged a push-button from an old DVD player that works perfectly.

I'm running a SNES emulator (Retroarch Snes9xnext core) with a graphics-heavy game under Android as a benchmark - and the CPU gets extremely hot. However, it is completely stable during the 40+ minute test run. I'm not certain if the system throttles when temperatures hit a certain threshold, but it seems to stay at full speed now that the heatsinks are in place.

In any case, things are running well now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bliss OS (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 4 12,394 06-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: nukedawg
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 104,829 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus
  Pine 64 + WIFI - OVERHEAT problem Berkut 0 3,244 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Berkut
  Pine64+ 1G and Pine LCD with Android 6.0.1 Tanveer 0 2,989 09-03-2018, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Tanveer
  [PINE A64 2GB Kickstarter]How to boot android from external SSD v1n1c1uS 1 3,403 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Kickstarter edition wont boot to android bilbo6209 1 3,298 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
  Bliss OS - Pine a64+ rwaterspf1 8 12,355 10-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Last Post: jkmooney
  Boot hangs on pine64, how to debug? olh 1 3,571 08-29-2017, 12:04 AM
  Android Oreo on Pine LCD Tanveer 1 3,409 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Last Post: ayufan
  Pine64+ 1G: boot loader details required Tanveer 4 6,781 07-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Tanveer