How to make a GTK app start up fullscreen on boot?
Hi,

I have a board running Armbian and I was wondering how I could get an application to start up in full screen after the board boots? It is a GTK app. 

Thanks!
(02-28-2017, 01:28 PM)julu Wrote: I have a board running Armbian and I was wondering how I could get an application to start up in full screen after the board boots? It is a GTK app. 

hi, in my opinion you really don't want to do this...

... but, to answer your question there are many ways to auto-start and app in gnu+linux ... GTK or not.  You can start the app as a service.  You can start the app from rc.local.  The app may be started or restarted as a crontab automated job. 

You will want to study the system startup and determine which approach is best for you.  Getting back to my assertion , autostarting an app in a linux system is paramount to narrowing the general purpose machine to a specific purpose machine;  which is highly limiting.  The better approach is to have a very good remote system controller (automated,  ssh, vnc,  etc ) so that the machine can focus on its intended use but is not locked into one app startup. 

All of this is entirely your choice.  I hae many many many SBC computers ( none of them autostart into an app on the desktop )

Are you making the pine board into an advertising board, or a kiosk ?
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(02-28-2017, 03:24 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 01:28 PM)julu Wrote: I have a board running Armbian and I was wondering how I could get an application to start up in full screen after the board boots? It is a GTK app. 

hi, in my opinion you really don't want to do this...

... but, to answer your question there are many ways to auto-start and app in gnu+linux ... GTK or not.  You can start the app as a service.  You can start the app from rc.local.  The app may be started or restarted as a crontab automated job. 

You will want to study the system startup and determine which approach is best for you.  Getting back to my assertion , autostarting an app in a linux system is paramount to narrowing the general purpose machine to a specific purpose machine;  which is highly limiting.  The better approach is to have a very good remote system controller (automated,  ssh, vnc,  etc ) so that the machine can focus on its intended use but is not locked into one app startup. 

All of this is entirely your choice.  I hae many many many SBC computers ( none of them autostart into an app on the desktop )

Are you making the pine board into an advertising board, or a kiosk ?

Wow, thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm trying to make it act like a wall mounted control panel, I wouldn't need it to do much else besides run my app. Is this not a recommended practice?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to enable mate/startx on boot in jessie desai_amogh 5 9,904 03-29-2019, 01:34 AM
Last Post: desai_amogh
  Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online vertex 1 4,770 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Last Post: goathunter
  PineA64+ Armbian not boot, black screen and log klode 3 7,486 10-14-2018, 04:02 AM
Last Post: evilbunny