Shipping Progress
(02-17-2021, 10:17 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 10:01 AM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 04:56 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:52 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:25 PM)dgdimick Wrote: I'm not sure about the Hauppauge tuner, is it using the same Chip set as the RTL-SDR? If so it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm also pretty sure it's not that hard to swap out the OS version when you do get your Phone, there seems to be pretty good documentation on how to do it.
It's unrelated to SDR.
It's a USB dongle with a coax connector on the opposite end. It has dual TV tuners inside (watch one show - record another, or picture in picture). It scans the signal on the coax for channels like a TV does, and you end up with a software TV tuner/PVR/TV Guide and so on. It would be great for local free "airband" TV (weather, sports). Comes with a very small portable TV antenna.
I can get everything BUT local TV on my PC. This device changes that.
https://youtu.be/Gkdkh4NleVA

Some random stuff because I'm just waking up, have not had my coffee, and have a bit of A.D.D.

I'm not sure if you're understanding how Linux works, or me it could just be me miss-understanding your post, however, It is ALL about the chipset.

Just because it's an SDR, and plugs into your computer, doesn't mean it's supported by the OS. Unless someone has taken the time to write a DRIVER for the Chipset used by XYZ SDR, then it will not work. The current DOCUMENTED CHIPSET supported is the RTL2832U chipset. A quick search for the Chipset used by the Hauppauge TV tuner turns up a mess of nonsense; it's sort of like searching for "I own a car"

I'll try and use two analogies here to explain DRIVERS and SOFTWARE.

1 - When you buy XYZ product, you may need to install some type of driver, normally this is provided by the software required to be installed to use XYZ product. If the Hauppauge TV tuner isn't supported by an OS, (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc) it's because the divers needed by the OS have not been written; the OS wont even "see" the SDR when it's inserted in to the USB slot. Then you need someone to write the SOFTWARE to provide the functions you want to use with the XYZ product.

2 - Think of it as a car, you want XYZ tires, however, BMW hasn't built the correct RIMS needed to mount the tires on the car; Software drivers. Once someone comes out with the correct rims; Software Drivers.  You now need to find someone to mount the tires on the rim; Software that allows the car to drive with these new tires.

I'm hoping I've been able to clear up any confusion, with out coming across as a jerk, it's not me intention - it's a failure to have a real time conversation; I say something and you ask questions.

As one random bit of information that could be helpful, check out this URL for more information on Linux support for the SDR Dongle you own

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/...linux.html

While I don't own this SDR, I'll be more then happy to try and help you when I get my PinePhone, so at least try and get it to working for you, I'm not going to promise I'll be able to solve any issue you have, however, I can at least try to help. A simple duckduckgo search doesn't return any data that someone has figured out how to get your SDR Dongle to work, however, this doesn't mean you should give up all hope, just use it as a data point, that it may not work.

I'm more then willing to spend the time communicating with you, so you can understand this subject, someone a LONG time ago spent the time helping me understand this, and I'm more then happy to help someone else.
I am a total noob, yes. But I have maybe 4 sbc or home theater boards that run linux/LibreElec and all of them support Hauppauge. So the chipset is supported somewhere in the linux universe. I'm pretty sure I read it can run on the RP64. My simple question was can that current software also be used on pinephone? No one has tried? That answers the question.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RTL2832U-R828D-...Sw2NxfhV6s
I played with SDR on a PC a few years ago. I am not enough of a radio geek to handle it. I find it cool to download satellite images and listen to police bands, but the software is not for an everyday person IMHO. Hauppauge software is easily manageable.

Well supported Kodi versions (settop boxes/HT boxes) always offer Hauppauge as an addon and have for a lot of years. They all run linux. I do not know if it is rewritten or if they use proprietary blobs.

kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
(02-17-2021, 10:29 AM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 04:56 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:52 PM)WarpLover Wrote: It's unrelated to SDR.
It's a USB dongle with a coax connector on the opposite end. It has dual TV tuners inside (watch one show - record another, or picture in picture). It scans the signal on the coax for channels like a TV does, and you end up with a software TV tuner/PVR/TV Guide and so on. It would be great for local free "airband" TV (weather, sports). Comes with a very small portable TV antenna.
I can get everything BUT local TV on my PC. This device changes that.
https://youtu.be/Gkdkh4NleVA

Some random stuff because I'm just waking up, have not had my coffee, and have a bit of A.D.D.

I'm not sure if you're understanding how Linux works, or me it could just be me miss-understanding your post, however, It is ALL about the chipset.

Just because it's an SDR, and plugs into your computer, doesn't mean it's supported by the OS. Unless someone has taken the time to write a DRIVER for the Chipset used by XYZ SDR, then it will not work. The current DOCUMENTED CHIPSET supported is the RTL2832U chipset. A quick search for the Chipset used by the Hauppauge TV tuner turns up a mess of nonsense; it's sort of like searching for "I own a car"

1 - When you buy XYZ product, you may need to install some type of driver, normally this is provided by the software required to be installed to use XYZ product. If the Hauppauge TV tuner isn't supported by an OS, (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc) it's because the divers needed by the OS have not been written; the OS wont even "see" the SDR when it's inserted in to the USB slot. Then you need someone to write the SOFTWARE to provide the functions you want to use with the XYZ product.

2 - Think of it as a car, you want XYZ tires, however, BMW hasn't built the correct RIMS needed to mount the tires on the car; Software drivers. Once someone comes out with the correct rims; Software Drivers.  You now need to find someone to mount the tires on the rim; Software that allows the car to drive with these new tires.

I'm hoping I've been able to clear up any confusion, with out coming across as a jerk, it's not me intention - it's a failure to have a real time conversation; I say something and you ask questions.

As one random bit of information that could be helpful, check out this URL for more information on Linux support for the SDR Dongle you own

While I don't own this SDR, I'll be more then happy to try and help you when I get my PinePhone, so at least try and get it to working for you, I'm not going to promise I'll be able to solve any issue you have, however, I can at least try to help. A simple duckduckgo search doesn't return any data that someone has figured out how to get your SDR Dongle to work, however, this doesn't mean you should give up all hope, just use it as a data point, that it may not work.

I'm more then willing to spend the time communicating with you, so you can understand this subject, someone a LONG time ago spent the time helping me understand this, and I'm more then happy to help someone else.
I am a total noob, yes. But I have maybe 4 sbc or home theater boards that run linux/LibreElec and all of them support Hauppauge. So the chipset is supported somewhere in the linux universe. I'm pretty sure I read it can run on the RP64. My simple question was can that current software also be used on pinephone? No one has tried? That answers the question.

I played with SDR on a PC a few years ago. I am not enough of a radio geek to handle it. I find it cool to download satellite images and listen to police bands, but the software is not for an everyday person IMHO. Hauppauge software is easily manageable.

Well supported Kodi versions (settop boxes/HT boxes) always offer Hauppauge as an addon and have for a lot of years. They all run linux. I do not know if it is rewritten or if they use proprietary blobs.

kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
I felt the same way for a while, however, the newest version of AirSpy is REALLY easy to use, as well as it has very good documentation for getting started.
Take a look at it, you may find it's a bit more enjoyable for you this time around.
(02-17-2021, 11:27 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 04:56 AM)dgdimick Wrote: Some random stuff because I'm just waking up, have not had my coffee, and have a bit of A.D.D.

kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
I felt the same way for a while, however, the newest version of AirSpy is REALLY easy to use, as well as it has very good documentation for getting started.
Take a look at it, you may find it's a bit more enjoyable for you this time around.
I probably will. I am retired now and have more time. However, I only want to see local news, and very infrequently. 
https://ustv247.tv/ will give any browser "basic cable", but I need local.
I'm not going to use the full blown abilities of the TV stick, or an SDR. Occasional FM use might be the best selling point for SDR, for me. Give me a front end that looks like a tuner and I will play. Having to do it the old SDR way, not for me.

I detest AM. It's visceral. Now there's a project that could catch fire! A PVR type system for all car radios that remove the incessant commercials. Time shift a show by 30 minutes while removing all the commercials, and you hear it uninterrupted a bit later. Or maybe just a simple detect-a-commercial, mute for a set period, and then unmute scheme. (I'm just rambling now)

(we are way off the original subject)
(02-17-2021, 01:04 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 10:01 AM)WarpLover Wrote: I am a total noob, yes. But I have maybe 4 sbc or home theater boards that run linux/LibreElec and all of them support Hauppauge. So the chipset is supported somewhere in the linux universe. I'm pretty sure I read it can run on the RP64. My simple question was can that current software also be used on pinephone? No one has tried? That answers the question.

kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
I probably will. I am retired now and have more time. However, I only want to see local news, and very infrequently. 
I'm not going to use the full blown abilities of the TV stick, or an SDR. Occasional FM use might be the best selling point for SDR, for me. Give me a front end that looks like a tuner and I will play. Having to do it the old SDR way, not for me.

I detest AM. It's visceral. Now there's a project that could catch fire! A PVR type system for all car radios that remove the incessant commercials. Time shift a show by 30 minutes while removing all the commercials, and you hear it uninterrupted a bit later. Or maybe just a simple detect-a-commercial, mute for a set period, and then unmute scheme. (I'm just rambling now)

Thanks for the URL for free cable, didn't know about it. After spending a few hours on it, I remember why I don't normally watch TV.
Going back to your need for local TV, you could spend the $25ish and get a RTL-SDR, however, while it will work on the PinePhone, you're still going to suffer from a lack of software to use it for watching TV.
Is there even software to allow you to watch TV under a desktop version of Linux?
(02-18-2021, 02:00 PM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 10:17 AM)dgdimick Wrote: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RTL2832U-R828D-...Sw2NxfhV6s

kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts

Thanks for the URL for free cable, didn't know about it. After spending a few hours on it, I remember why I don't normally watch TV.
Going back to your need for local TV, you could spend the $25ish and get a RTL-SDR, however, while it will work on the PinePhone, you're still going to suffer from a lack of software to use it for watching TV.
Is there even software to allow you to watch TV under a desktop version of Linux?
Linux drivers for Hauppauge TV tuners

This Linux driver package is for the WinTV-HVR-955Q, the WinTV-HVR-1955 and HVR-1975, plus all versions of the WinTV-HVR-2255 and HVR-2205 on Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.2 with kernel 3.16

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/...ackup.html

Like I said earlier, it is in the linux universe.
(02-18-2021, 03:10 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 10:29 AM)WarpLover Wrote: I played with SDR on a PC a few years ago. I am not enough of a radio geek to handle it. I find it cool to download satellite images and listen to police bands, but the software is not for an everyday person IMHO. Hauppauge software is easily manageable.

kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts

This Linux driver package is for the WinTV-HVR-955Q, the WinTV-HVR-1955 and HVR-1975, plus all versions of the WinTV-HVR-2255 and HVR-2205 on Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.2 with kernel 3.16

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/...ackup.html

Like I said earlier, it is in the linux universe.

Yes and no, the drivers are their for X86, kernel 3.16, however, the drivers will need to be compiled for the aarch64 kernel. Since the drivers are not open source, the only one that will be able to make these drivers is the vendor. Think of it this way, you have an application that runs on Windows, however, not on the Mac OS, who needs to make it work for the Mac?
(02-20-2021, 10:30 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 11:27 AM)dgdimick Wrote: I felt the same way for a while, however, the newest version of AirSpy is REALLY easy to use, as well as it has very good documentation for getting started.

This Linux driver package is for the...  <--

Yes and no, the drivers are their for X86, ... <--
so this linux driver package is really windows drivers? it clearly "says" (may not be) but it says linux drivers!
(02-20-2021, 04:07 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 10:30 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 01:04 PM)WarpLover Wrote: I probably will. I am retired now and have more time. However, I only want to see local news, and very infrequently. 

This Linux driver package is for the...  <--

Yes and no, the drivers are their for X86, ... <--
so this linux driver package is really windows drivers? it clearly "says" (may not be) but it says linux drivers!
=====================================================================

I'm really not sure how to do a better job explaining this to you, so I'm going to try once more. I've tried to use examples, such as cars, and other operating systems, and I think I've just confused you more, my deepest apology for the confusion, however, thanks for hanging in there while I fumble around like a blind man in the forest.

Yes there are drivers for a VERSION of Linux, just not the version that runs on the PinePhone.

You maybe able to get the SDR vendor to compile the drives for the version of Linux running on the PinePhone, you'll have to ask them, since they have not published the SOURCE CODE so you can compile them yourself. I'd be surprised if they did this for you.

If you do get the drivers for the version of Linux running on the PinePhone, you will still need the APPLICATION(S) that are required to use the SDR

Just because you have the drivers, doesn't mean you have the correct application, you need one that is COMPILED for the version of Linux running on the PinePhone.

Here's how it works with drivers and the application.

The DRIVERS allow the operating system to "SEE" the SDR, the APPLICATION allows YOU to USE the SDR.

I know I'm probably driving you crazy here, however, I'm more then willing to keep trying to help you figure this out. If you need a phone call, ZOOM or something like that, I'd be more then willing to do this. I've done this before when someone needed help with 3d Printing.\\

Thanks,
Denis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened to $12 EU shipping rate to Poland? Randomuser 5 2,964 12-17-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: ashvaganda
  Shipping Alternatives for USA customers FOSSagent0 4 2,679 05-13-2023, 09:44 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Shipping to Canada extremely costly cptantiles 1 1,066 02-28-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Shipping TO Hong Kong? hker 1 2,013 07-06-2022, 07:47 PM
Last Post: RuTrainsurfer
  Shipping stuck in: "Airlines Receive" for nearly a month KiteX3 12 7,952 03-26-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  Have EU pinephones started shipping since CNY? baigan 6 5,183 02-28-2022, 10:55 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No more standard shipping? kqlnut 3 3,662 07-19-2021, 05:45 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Question PineBook Pro shipping to India User 22380 2 4,301 06-25-2021, 09:37 PM
Last Post: User 22380
  no shipping notice on my purchase restiforin 0 2,211 06-13-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: restiforin
  Shipping service used in Canada MikeJewski 6 11,886 05-17-2021, 04:13 PM
Last Post: optimus