P64+ for version control
Question 
Hi there!

Let me introduce myself. I'm Jimmy, 19 y.o. web developer from Argentina.
I'm totally new in the SBC world, and I need to know if my idea is doable before buy the components.

I want to use the A64+ 2GB starter kit as main logic board for connect an USB hard drive in order to install in there Debian OS + GitLab (CE).
Then access to the internet-connected* P64 from my computer (through WiFi) and access to GitLab (via command-line interface).

Is PINE64 useful for something like this? May I require other type of hardware?

Thanks for reading.  Big Grin

--- 

* My idea is as simple as connect P64 to the LAN cable into my router.
(02-25-2017, 02:24 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote: Hi there!

Let me introduce myself. I'm Jimmy, 19 y.o. web developer from Argentina.
I'm totally new in the SBC world, and I need to know if my idea is doable before buy the components.

I want to use the A64+ 2GB starter kit as main logic board for connect an USB hard drive in order to install in there Debian OS + GitLab (CE).
Then access to the internet-connected* P64 from my computer (through WiFi) and access to GitLab (via command-line interface).

Thanks for reading.  Big Grin

--- 

* My idea is as simple as connect P64 to the LAN cable into my router.

Yes... 

... the pine board ( uses boot0 u-boot ) boots from an SD card, and normally runs from the card as well; however, you may also move the /rootfs  to an HDD, or SSD, or usb stick.  In this configuration the pine board makes a great server ( docker runs fine on it too ) and you could very easily use it for version control and backup-- many people do just that !
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(02-25-2017, 03:26 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Yes... 

... the pine board ( uses boot0 u-boot ) boots from an SD card, and normally runs from the card as well; however, you may also move the /rootfs  to an HDD, or SSD, or usb stick.  In this configuration the pine board makes a great server ( docker runs fine on it too ) and you could very easily use it for version control and backup-- many people do just that !

If I want to use a SSD, may I need some SATA module for the board? Or maybe some SATA to USB cable converter?

I suppose I have to move the rootfs from the SD card to the USB port.

Thanks!
(02-25-2017, 03:48 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 03:26 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Yes... 

If I want to use a SSD, may I need some SATA module for the board? Or maybe some SATA to USB cable converter?

I suppose I have to move the rootfs from the SD card to the USB port.

Thanks!

That is correct.

... the configs will point to the device that holds the /rootfs.  And like any gnu+linux system, you may also have multiple partitions on your HDD or SSD.

There is no sata port on the pine board;  folks use the usb interface.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(02-25-2017, 04:02 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: That is correct.

... the configs will point to the device that holds the /rootfs.  And like any gnu+linux system, you may also have multiple partitions on your HDD or SSD.

There is no sata port on the pine board;  folks use the usb interface.

Thank you very much for your replies.
So, with any USB drive (I prefer SSD) with Linux in it my idea should work?
You might also place only the github|gitlab directory on the external media.  There might be many ways of achieving what you're after;  using the Pine boards.
marcushh777    Cool

(02-25-2017, 05:30 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: You might also place only the github|gitlab directory on the external media.  There might be many ways of achieving what you're after;  using the Pine boards.

Sorry, I did't get that.
What do you mean "only the github|gitlab directory on the external media"?
(02-25-2017, 05:33 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 05:30 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: You might also place only the github|gitlab directory on the external media.  There might be many ways of achieving what you're after;  using the Pine boards.

Sorry, I did't get that.
What do you mean "only the github|gitlab directory on the external media"?

If you clone a github repository you can place that clone anywhere in your home directory;  or anywhere else too.   I was simply using github as an example.  If you invent your own version control hierarchy and directory structure you can place that on any mount point you deem to be fit;  and that also can be placed on removable media, for instance, a usb stick;   this makes backup and populating easy from your pc or mac.

Your Pine board is just another computer;  ok, without moving parts. It makes a wonderful server,  and like any other computer server it represents your own ideas for organization and interface.  There is nothing really special about it other than its tiny, inexpensive, and has no moving parts.

If you can dream it up, you can probably do it !
marcushh777    Cool

(02-25-2017, 02:24 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote: I want to use the A64+ 2GB starter kit as main logic board for connect an USB hard drive in order to install in there Debian OS + GitLab (CE).

It is entirely doable, but there will be a few hurdles to overcome. 

Debian is the best OS to use for GitLab CE if using the provided install script, as Ubuntu doesn't work out of the box with their config script like Debian does... something isn't quite right there. 

You'll be able to follow the install instructions on their website, but may have issues with the install not finishing.

Code:
       *.                  *.
    .******             *******
   ,,,,,,,,,***********,,,,,,,,,
  ,,,,,,,,,,,*********,,,,,,,,,,,
  .,,,,,,,,,,,*******,,,,,,,,,,,,
      ,,,,,,,,,*****,,,,,,,,,.
         ,,,,,,,****,,,,,,
            .,,,***,,,,
                ,*,.

_______ __  __          __
    / ____(_) /_/ /   ____ _/ /_
   / / __/ / __/ /   / __ `/ __ \
  / /_/ / / /_/ /___/ /_/ / /_/ /
  \____/_/\__/_____/\__,_/_.___/

gitlab: Thank you for installing GitLab!
gitlab: To configure and start GitLab, RUN THE FOLLOWING COMMAND:

sudo gitlab-ctl reconfigure

gitlab: GitLab should be reachable at http://localhost
gitlab: Otherwise configure GitLab for your system by editing /etc/gitlab/gitlab.rb file
gitlab: And running reconfigure again.
gitlab:
gitlab: For a comprehensive list of configuration options please see the Omnibus GitLab readme
gitlab: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/omnibus-gitlab/blob/master/README.md
gitlab:
/opt/gitlab/bin/gitlab-ctl: /opt/gitlab/embedded/bin/omnibus-ctl: /opt/gitlab/embedded/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package gitlab-ce (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 126

This is a known issue, and appears to be specific to the aarch64 architecture of the pine64. The suggestion is to compile from source, but therein lies another issue... it appears that building from source for arm64 is still a work in progress. However, it appears that at least one person has had success on an Odroid C2, and another on a pine64 (running Ubuntu), so it looks like I need to look into trying to install it again!

I would also move both your rootfs and repository folders onto your external HDD/SSD, as then the microSD would only be responisble for bootup, and the HDD/SSD can do the bulk of the work, and you can back up the entire OS and repository system in one fell swoop.
If you use a USB/SATA adapter make sure it is a good one that supports UAS, SMART and other features, some older ones are pretty lacking in that regard, I think there was a thread over at the Armbian forums....
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  surveillance control center for ip cameras Miguel Campos 0 2,325 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Miguel Campos
  Control DMD chip? pinesol 3 5,367 03-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: hazerty