P64+ for version control
(02-26-2017, 02:55 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 02:24 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote: I want to use the A64+ 2GB starter kit as main logic board for connect an USB hard drive in order to install in there Debian OS + GitLab (CE).
Then access to the internet-connected* P64 from my computer (through WiFi) and access to GitLab (via command-line interface).

Is PINE64 useful for something like this? May I require other type of hardware?

It is entirely doable, but there will be a few hurdles to overcome. 

Debian is the best OS to use for GitLab CE if using the provided install script, as Ubuntu doesn't work out of the box with their config script like Debian does... something isn't quite right there. 

You'll be able to follow the install instructions on their website, but may have issues with the install not finishing.

Code:
       *.                  *.
    .******             *******
   ,,,,,,,,,***********,,,,,,,,,
  ,,,,,,,,,,,*********,,,,,,,,,,,
  .,,,,,,,,,,,*******,,,,,,,,,,,,
      ,,,,,,,,,*****,,,,,,,,,.
         ,,,,,,,****,,,,,,
            .,,,***,,,,
                ,*,.

_______ __  __          __
    / ____(_) /_/ /   ____ _/ /_
   / / __/ / __/ /   / __ `/ __ \
  / /_/ / / /_/ /___/ /_/ / /_/ /
  \____/_/\__/_____/\__,_/_.___/

gitlab: Thank you for installing GitLab!
gitlab: To configure and start GitLab, RUN THE FOLLOWING COMMAND:

sudo gitlab-ctl reconfigure

gitlab: GitLab should be reachable at http://localhost
gitlab: Otherwise configure GitLab for your system by editing /etc/gitlab/gitlab.rb file
gitlab: And running reconfigure again.
gitlab:
gitlab: For a comprehensive list of configuration options please see the Omnibus GitLab readme
gitlab: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/omnibus-gitlab/blob/master/README.md
gitlab:
/opt/gitlab/bin/gitlab-ctl: /opt/gitlab/embedded/bin/omnibus-ctl: /opt/gitlab/embedded/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package gitlab-ce (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 126

This is a known issue, and appears to be specific to the aarch64 architecture of the pine64. The suggestion is to compile from source, but therein lies another issue... it appears that building from source for arm64 is still a work in progress. However, it appears that at least one person has had success on an Odroid C2, and another on a pine64 (running Ubuntu), so it looks like I need to look into trying to install it again!

I would also move both your rootfs and repository folders onto your external HDD/SSD, as then the microSD would only be responisble for bootup, and the HDD/SSD can do the bulk of the work, and you can back up the entire OS and repository system in one fell swoop.

Sounds like Ubuntu doesn't have that problem, may that be correct? Because I'm trying Ubuntu and seems better than Debian (for my purpose).

Thanks!
(02-26-2017, 09:37 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote: Sounds like Ubuntu doesn't have that problem, may that be correct? Because I'm trying Ubuntu and seems better than Debian (for my purpose).

I'm not having any luck with either at the moment. I've tried a few things, such as building from source, and don't seem to have managed to get the combination right yet. It appears there have been some changes to the repo since the patch which was supposed to work was proposed, and the three modified files don't seem to be there any more, so I'll have to try and get in touch with the folks did get it working so see how they are faring and what the current workaround is.

Ubuntu certainly seems the better of the two options... I use it most of the time unless I want a server setup that I really don't want to have to think about as far as stability.
(02-26-2017, 11:42 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 09:37 PM)jimmyadaro Wrote: Sounds like Ubuntu doesn't have that problem, may that be correct? Because I'm trying Ubuntu and seems better than Debian (for my purpose).

I'm not having any luck with either at the moment. I've tried a few things, such as building from source, and don't seem to have managed to get the combination right yet. It appears there have been some changes to the repo since the patch which was supposed to work was proposed, and the three modified files don't seem to be there any more, so I'll have to try and get in touch with the folks did get it working so see how they are faring and what the current workaround is.

Ubuntu certainly seems the better of the two options... I use it most of the time unless I want a server setup that I really don't want to have to think about as far as stability.

Emphasis mine... that's mee too !
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(02-26-2017, 11:42 PM)pfeerick Wrote:

My idea is use P64 + Ubuntu + GitLab for development-only version control, so I don't care much about possible production-environment errors/failures.
If you get in touch with that people, please let us know Smile 

Thank you very much to both pfeerick and MarkHaysHarri, you were really friendly, nice to see in this community!
Today arrived the PINE64, I will try this tomorrow!
For anyone still interested in using the pine64 for version control or local/private git repository hosting in a non-sucky way... I finally found a solution. I finally got around to playing with gitlab again yesterday, and got nowhere fast (and one of the other chaps who what gotten it working had gone off ARM SoC boards entirely... so that wasn't a good sign!). I had a look around for other options, and only found yucky looking interfaces like GitWeb and cgit, which appear to be only HTML views of existing repos anyway, and not allowing you to create and manage repos through their interface.

I was ready to give up for now, and resort to having to log in to create new repos, and work from file shares... and then came across Gogs... which looked very promising for two reasons "painless self-hosted Git service" and it is designed to run using "independent binary distribution across ALL platforms that Go supports"... linux being one of them. An hour of fiddling later... and I had a very polished looking git-hub like git repo management system running. Performance is good on the 1GB pine64, and everything seems to be working smoothly.

For anyone else that wants to get it running, I recommend you go read Ricardo's post on getting it set up... I found it when I was half-way through the compile process... and since he was using a pine64 also... I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel. I'm using a full blown MySQL database since I have that running anyway, and didn't bother doing the nginx reverse proxy, but followed most of the other steps. Also note that his site is running on a pine64... Big Grin Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  surveillance control center for ip cameras Miguel Campos 0 2,324 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Miguel Campos
  Control DMD chip? pinesol 3 5,365 03-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: hazerty