(ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel)
(03-30-2016, 02:13 PM)Andrew2 Wrote: Hi Luke AKA Jagmn!

Didn't you read what longsleep recommended to you?

That response does not apply to me. I have a VINSIC 5.0=3.4A supply and a 20AWG cable, which works fine on the rather power-hungry RPI3. Just to double-check I have also tried a iPad charger (think its 2.0A ?) and another 2.5A charger I've got. I have also changed out the 20AWG cable for a 22, 24 and 28AWG cable, and I am still having problems. Hope this clears things up.

[edit] Oh, and I'm not Jagmn ...
Agreed, he is not I.

Likewise with the power supplies; I've tried a variety of 5v 2A supplies that work fine with RPi1-3 B+. My errors all seem to start at "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffffbf73b90840" at __dma_inv_range.
(03-30-2016, 02:27 PM)Jagmn Wrote: Agreed, he is not I.

Likewise with the power supplies; I've tried a variety of 5v 2A supplies that work fine with RPi1-3 B+. My errors all seem to start at "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffffbf73b90840" at __dma_inv_range.

So I you haven't gotten Ubuntu to work yet? I have just downloaded the Arch img just to check if this is a problem specific to the Ubuntu img... Will report back tomorrow to let you (and everyone else interested) know how it goes.
Just because your power supply works with another board does not mean it has to work for this board. There are no general crashes or issues in the Ubuntu image which lead to Kernel crashes which i am aware of. The most likely reason is the PSU for both of you. If you have problem use a very short (like 15cm) USB cable.

Btw, from the boot log above i see that this is a 2GB Pine64. As i do not have one of those, i am willing to consider the possibility that there is an issue. So @Luke you are on 2GB model as well?
(03-30-2016, 03:24 PM)longsleep Wrote: Just because your power supply works with another board does not mean it has to work for this board. There are no general crashes or issues in the Ubuntu image which lead to Kernel crashes which i am aware of. The most likely reason is the PSU for both of you. If you have problem use a very short (like 15cm) USB cable.

Btw, from the boot log above i see that this is a 2GB Pine64. As i do not have one of those, i am willing to consider the possibility that there is an issue. So @Luke you are on 2GB model as well?

Thank you for your response longsleep. Yes, correct, I am using a 2GB board. Regarding the PSU hypothesis - I have now tried 5 different PSUs and a 10cm good quality cable as you have suggested and still no luck booting into ubuntu.
I seem to be having the same issues as described in this thread. It boots up fine without ethernet, but as soon as I plug in an ethernet cord (either before boot or after boot), the kernel seems to panc. Get a call stack (I believe?) with a bunch of exceptions. Otherwise, without the ethernet cord, the image works fine.

Just looking at Jagm's output file and comparing it to what I see on my TV - they are very close, if not the same exact exceptions.
(03-30-2016, 04:35 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 03:24 PM)longsleep Wrote: Just because your power supply works with another board does not mean it has to work for this board. There are no general crashes or issues in the Ubuntu image which lead to Kernel crashes which i am aware of. The most likely reason is the PSU for both of you. If you have problem use a very short (like 15cm) USB cable.

Thank you for your response longsleep. Yes, correct, I am using a 2GB board. Regarding the PSU hypothesis - I have now tried 5 different PSUs and a 10cm good quality cable as you have suggested and still no luck booting into ubuntu.

Just in case it helps you in some way Longsleep... I also have the 2GB Pine64+ and getting the same problem. Seems to occur with loading/unloading the Ethernet module (note it has the 1Gbit NIC and not the 100Mbit of the non-plus) - can also cause the same panic by ifdown eth0 when booted up without nw cable present. It also takes 5 seconds from plugging in cable to cause a panic.
in regard to PSUs - used brand new RPI3 designed micro USB and iPad wall plug. All functions including networking of the A64 work fine in archlinux (albeit only showing up just shy of 1GB of RAM)... great to see your Ubuntu build is showing all 2GB thanks Smile
Mhm no idea why the 2GB Model would crash. The 1GB model has the same NIC and works fine for me.
I think I may have some further insight. I tried arch and remix os today and same thing happens with the ethernet cable connected. It looks like other people with 2GB boards are having the same problem (e.g. look here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=488).

[edit] plugging in the ethernet after booting up remix os causes an instant crash followed by endless bootloop
[edit 2] just tried arch - the exact thing happens as with Ubuntu
(03-31-2016, 04:40 AM)Luke Wrote: I think I may have some further insight. I tried arch and remix os today and same thing happens with the ethernet cable connected. It looks like other people with 2GB boards are having the same problem (e.g. look here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=488).

[edit] plugging in the ethernet after booting up remix os causes an instant crash followed by endless bootloop
[edit 2] just tried arch - the exact thing happens as with Ubuntu

Yeah, I tried arch last night as well - the same issue happens. My model is the 2gb model. Haven't tried Remix though. I haven't experienced a boot loop in Ubuntu or Arch though - the kernel just oops and sits there (I cant type in the terminal) -> which is the kernel panicking.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu server 20.04 request phi0x 2 5,283 12-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: phi0x
  Xenial Minimal Image (PINE A64(+)) 0.6.2-77 pineadmin 4 21,475 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: jrronimo
  Kickstarter P64 with LCD, working image? MostHated 1 4,423 01-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Last Post: igorp
  USB Wireless Drivers with Longsleep Linux Kernel jacobscarter 15 24,499 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Allwinner A64 RTC bug fix on bionic image? tkaivola 1 4,770 02-01-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: tllim
  SPI on ubuntu IlyaM 4 9,083 07-16-2018, 03:00 AM
Last Post: kingflab
  Ubuntu password not working joemassimino 4 8,508 05-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Luke
  How can I get a wireless dongle working on Xenial Desktop latest build Rocklobster 1 3,946 04-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  After flashing Ubuntu- how to get graphical desktop Partymack711 6 10,824 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
  PPTP doesnt work with ubuntu escovedo 2 8,656 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: gilbertotcc