(ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel)
(08-11-2016, 09:52 PM)Artyom Wrote:
(08-11-2016, 01:34 PM)rallar8 Wrote:
(08-11-2016, 10:22 AM)Artyom Wrote:
(02-28-2016, 03:07 PM)longsleep Wrote: I also built a mimimal Ubuntu image combined with the the BSP Kernel and my image building gear. Similar to the Arch Image **this image is intended for developers. If you are looking for accelerated 2D/3D or video decoding use Android** and do not bother with trying this image.

What you get:

- HDMI at 1080P
- HDMI analog audio (alsa, pulseaudio)
- Ethernet (including 1000M)
- USB
- Wifi
- Ubuntu Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) aarch64
- BSP Linux Kernel 3.10.65+ (see http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293)
- BSP U-Boot (see http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=99)
- Support for all Pine64 models (512MB, 1GB, 2GB) with auto detection so Ethernet works with the same image on all models

It works good enough so it can be used as headless server, as compile platform for aarch64 or as virtualization host. You can even install a desktop environment if you wish.

These images require a 4GB medium (3700 MiB rootfs). Extend the partition with `sudo /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs`.

Download (for instructions see README.txt)

Starting with Kernel 3.10.101 it is possible to lower HDMI resolution from 1080p to 720p. See http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=980 for instructions.

History:

**20160228-2**
- Initial publish release
- Known issue: console-setup.service fails to start
- Firefox is very unstable

**20160306-1**
- Updated U-Boot and device tree to 20160306-1
- Updated Kernel to 3.10.65-2-pine64-longsleep-39-1
- Ethernet MAC address is now persistent (added to uEnv.txt on first boot)
- Added system service to reenable CPU cores
- Added helper Pine64 platform scripts to /usr/local/sbin
- Serial getty no longer waits on rc.local service
- Linux Kernel firmware and headers are now installed

**20160320-1**
- Added support for Pine64 512MB model (auto detected)
- Updated U-Boot and device trees to 20160319-1 (2014.07-3-pine64-longsleep)
- Updated Kernel to 3.10.65-3-pine64-longsleep-2
- Wireless tools are now installed by default (iw, rfkill, wpasupplicant)

**20160403-1**
- Updated Kernel to 3.10.65-4-pine64-longsleep-16 (fixing Pine64+ 2GB model Ethernet crash)

**20160424-1**
- Updated U-Boot and device trees to 20160423-1 (v2014.07-4-pine64-longsleep)
- Updated to Kernel 3.10.65-7-pine64-longsleep-28
- Initrd updated to support root= Kernel parameter and wait for rootfs delay (thanks to j0zzy)
- Ubuntu rootfs updated to 16.04 Xenial Xerus final release
- Platform scripts were updated to latest
- Mackeeper service was updated (thanks to sWski)
- UART2, UART3 and UART4 are now enabled (thanks to Martin Ayotte)

**20160507-1**
- Updated to Kernel 3.10.101-0-pine64-longsleep-39
- Alsa-utils are now installed by default, including sane mixer settings
- It is now possible to change the HDMI resolution via uEnv.txt (sunxi-disp-tool installed by default)
- Default hostname is now "pine64"
- Locale en_US.UTF-8 is now pre-generated

**20160716-1**
- Updated to Kernel 3.10.102-2-pine64-longsleep-66

Released images are signed with a detached GPG signature (.asc) signed by my personal key 0x090EF0DB. Get the key and verify that the download is intact and unmodified.
Code:
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 090EF0DB
gpg --with-fingerprint xenial-pine64-*.xz.asc

Let me know what you think.
Hi.  seems that image falls off the connection over an Ethernet network every 5 minutes. I use SSH and it breaks every 5 minutes ....

hmmm... I have not had this experience.

Two things:
1. did you download off the forum or from pine64 website?
the pine64 links have been out of date for me in the past.

running:
sudo /usr/local/sbin/pine64_update_kernel.sh ## I messed this up in my unedited post - linux is hard
 should resolve any discordance with that - after reboot anyhow.

2. are you using it out of the box with no alterations to the network configuration?
If you are, and you have access to your router/dhcp server check that out.

If that sounds like a lot I can put some instructions that will set a non-persistent static ip address and see if that is the issue.. such that if my commands fail - you can just reboot and the network config will revert back

1. I downloaded the OS image from the forum.
2. I did update the kernel and OS loader.
3. I have access to the router.
4. After upgrading the kernel and bootloader I rebooted the OS.
5. address issued by DHCP lease is issued in 5 days. As it is issued it is always the same during this time.

Send your instruction on blademoon@yandex.ru and I test them.

Hi again/ I test latest debian distro downloaded from forum. It work greate over Ethernet. No disconnection. If i use ubuntu xenial distro downloaded from forum. There have disconnection over Ethernet every 5-7 minutes. I use same board Pine 64 1GB RAM. From this I can draw one conclusion, the problem of a new distribution.
Hmmm, grabbed the latest (.102 kernel) and tried to boot on both a 1080 and a 720 display and, in both cases, it dropped me to a command prompt. I can log in, but I can't start the window manager.

I guess I can try rolling back until I get a successful boot and see what happens...

Hold up....just found out the Ubuntu image does not come with a desktop manager by default. I'll need to install MATE. That certainly explains why I couldn't start one (DOH!)

......trying again...
Hello, is possible to install cinnamon desktop or pine64 can't support it?
thanks
(10-10-2016, 02:32 PM)polv89 Wrote: Hello, is possible to install cinnamon desktop or pine64 can't support it?
thanks

Ubuntu has cinnamon as one of the desktops it supports, so you should be able to install it from ubuntu. There is nothing about cinnamon that I can see that would make it, or any other desktop, impossible to run, since you can run the mate desktop. That is not saying that I know for sure everything to install to make it work. If you know how to install cinnamon from an ubuntu command line on x86, the same thing should work.

If you are not afraid of failing, you could try:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
sudo apt-get install cinnamon-desktop-environment
sudo apt-get install xorg

and after a couple of hours, it should be done. You could google for instructions on converting an ubuntu server to a desktop for more ideas.

If you mean cinnamon as supplied by the same people that supply mint, you would have to ask them, and I would think the answer would be no.

Mate is thought to be a desktop that makes medium demands on the CPU and memory, and longsleep includes a script with this image to install it.
I just tried cinnamon-desktop on my Debian install and it's performance was very poor. Cinnamon needs hardware acceleration.
Had to install this version of Ubuntu again, but installing mate desktop will not work.  Getting this error >> The following packages have unmet dependencies:

ubuntu-mate-core : Depends: libqt5libqgtk2 but it is not going to be installed
ubuntu-mate-desktop : Depends: libqt5libqgtk2 but it is not going to be install

Followed these instructions. http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=622.

I have followed these instructions and have been running this Ubuntu for quite awhile.  This is the third time I have done this and the other two times worked like a champ, but it has been awhile since the last time I had to re-install ubuntu.

Any help will be appreciated.  It was working great, but I killed it today trying to mount a folder from my NAS, but that is a different story.
Usually this would be a dependency conflict, where two programs or packages require the same package, except that the versions required conflict.

Programs often consist of pieces some of which may be in other packages, which is called a dependency. These packages may in turn require other packages, and so on. It is difficult to have tens of thousands of packages available without having any of them conflict with any other.

There are packages where all they do is create dependencies, and things like ubuntu-mate-desktop typically are that. That is how one package ends up needing 1000 other packages.

But since you are installing Ubuntu from scratch, it is not likely that you have any packages installed that would create a conflict with ubuntu-mate-desktop. In addition, this same installing procedure is known to have worked on the same hardware.

One possibility is that Ubuntu has made a change which has created a conflict.

Another possibility is that the repositories are in the midst of being updated. A large amount of updating occurs when Ubuntu issues a newer version, which they did October 13, 2016. (I updated my regular computer to this version (16.10 or Yakkety), and it went fine (or just about.)) The repositories for ARM CPUs have to be entirely separated from Intel style CPUs, because the CPUs do not implement identical computer instructions. (Linux is implemented in computer languages that do not depend on base-level CPU instructions, and is then converted for different CPUs.) So it may be that some repositories are not completely updated or in sync.

You could try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libqt5libqgtk2

and see what happens. If it succeeds, then the script to install Mate may be able to go on. If not, then it may be this package is not present in the repositories.

It may be that the Mate installation script ignores errors, and the data for the repositories has simply not been updated consistently, so trying the script again may work, if everything updates fully the next time.

When I try updating with apt-get, I do get some 404 (= not found) errors every time, but I am not sure that it hasn't always been that way.

Since I already have Mate installed on my Pine64, I cannot check to see if I get the same error you do, because it just says it is already installed.
(10-15-2016, 02:43 AM)kflorek46 Wrote: Usually this would be a dependency conflict, where two programs or packages require the same package, except that the versions required conflict.

Programs often consist of pieces some of which may be in other packages, which is called a dependency. These packages may in turn require other packages, and so on. It is difficult to have tens of thousands of packages available without having any of them conflict with any other.

There are packages where all they do is create dependencies, and things like ubuntu-mate-desktop typically are that. That is how one package ends up needing 1000 other packages.

But since you are installing Ubuntu from scratch, it is not likely that you have any packages installed that would create a conflict with ubuntu-mate-desktop. In addition, this same installing procedure is known to have worked on the same hardware.

One possibility is that Ubuntu has made a change which has created a conflict.

Another possibility is that the repositories are in the midst of being updated. A large amount of updating occurs when Ubuntu issues a newer version, which they did October 13, 2016. (I updated my regular computer to this version (16.10 or Yakkety), and it went fine (or just about.)) The repositories for ARM CPUs have to be entirely separated from Intel style CPUs, because the CPUs do not implement identical computer instructions. (Linux is implemented in computer languages that do not depend on base-level CPU instructions, and is then converted for different CPUs.) So it may be that some repositories are not completely updated or in sync.

You could try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libqt5libqgtk2

and see what happens. If it succeeds, then the script to install Mate may be able to go on. If not, then it may be this package is not present in the repositories.

It may be that the Mate installation script ignores errors, and the data for the repositories has simply not been updated consistently, so trying the script again may work, if everything updates fully the next time.

When I try updating with apt-get, I do get some 404 (= not found) errors every time, but I am not sure that it hasn't always been that way.

Since I already have Mate installed on my Pine64, I cannot check to see if I get the same error you do, because it just says it is already installed.
Thanks for your feed back.  I tried twice, now I am going to install a different version.  This is the one I am going to try now.  Again, I am a Linux newbie, so I am learning.  debian-mate-jessie-20160701-lenny.raposo-longsleep-pine64-8GB
It is already possible (and safe) to switch over to Yakkety?

My /etc/apt/source.list is now:

Code:
   deb [arch=arm64] http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial main restricted universe multiverse
   deb [arch=arm64] http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
   deb [arch=arm64] http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
   deb [arch=arm64] http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse
   deb [arch=arm64] http://ppa.launchpad.net/longsleep/ubuntu-pine64-flavour-makers/ubuntu xenial main

I see that all, except longsleep's PPA, have a yakkety dist build.
Pander,

You are liable to be the first one to try this. If you are afraid of failing, I would not try it. Switching package versions is not the only thing that converts one version of Ubuntu into the next. The recommended way of upgrading does not even always work for x86 CPUs.

If I were going to try this, I would run the program that Ubuntu support recommends:

update-manager

I did this, and after it updated all packages, it checked for and found an upgrade (to Yakkety), just as Ubuntu support says. I canceled at this point, because I am not prepared to wreck my working Pine64 Xenial in an experiment. (I would do this with a backup version, if at all.) I think longsleep is going to stick with xenial because it is a longterm support version, and therefore so will I, so I will have one "known-working" system for Pine64.

The reason I am not confident the upgrade will succeed is that there is no such thing as a standard ARM SOC system, as there is a standard ibm-pc system for Intel x86. It is a surprise to me  that this very old kernel works with the much later xenial, because graphics is very much tied to what is in the linux kernel.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu server 20.04 request phi0x 2 5,356 12-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: phi0x
  Xenial Minimal Image (PINE A64(+)) 0.6.2-77 pineadmin 4 21,588 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: jrronimo
  Kickstarter P64 with LCD, working image? MostHated 1 4,486 01-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Last Post: igorp
  USB Wireless Drivers with Longsleep Linux Kernel jacobscarter 15 24,853 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Allwinner A64 RTC bug fix on bionic image? tkaivola 1 4,828 02-01-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: tllim
  SPI on ubuntu IlyaM 4 9,219 07-16-2018, 03:00 AM
Last Post: kingflab
  Ubuntu password not working joemassimino 4 8,645 05-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Luke
  How can I get a wireless dongle working on Xenial Desktop latest build Rocklobster 1 4,008 04-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  After flashing Ubuntu- how to get graphical desktop Partymack711 6 10,953 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
  PPTP doesnt work with ubuntu escovedo 2 8,763 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: gilbertotcc