The "official Linux" download from Pine?
Why is the download for the Linux on the http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release
so large? Most ISO's that I have downloaded and burned to disk are in the 4.7 Gig range, so I do not understand why 23 gig worth?
(02-27-2016, 02:26 AM)adeneb Wrote: Why is the download for the Linux on the http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release
so large? Most ISO's that I have downloaded and burned to disk are in the 4.7 Gig range, so I do not understand why 23 gig worth?

This for Software Engineer use , is not  user use  !
The PINE64 Linux ISO not  emerge now
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

Looking forward to when something emerges, I have been reading these posts since December and are aware of the work "The Community" is doing I just hope that the nice people developing at Pine 64 are actually doing some of it. So far my testing of the PhoenixCard software with the android image failed to even format two different new sd cards before throwing out a fail.
(02-27-2016, 02:26 AM)adeneb Wrote: Why is the download for the Linux on the http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

Also that tarball doesn't contain only Linux kernel source. It has android source code too.
The one from their page Android Image Release 20160216.
I'm just going to wait until I have a device in hand to test with.Hoping by then there will be sold options. I wanted to have some images ready to test when it ships, I realize it's too soon.

I once purchased a Lepan I tablet that it's manufacturer made promises to upgrade the obsolete android version it came installed with. Well they didn't, you know who did? The XDA community. I learned more about rom development than most consumers and was able to enjoy 2 more years of that device than I should have.
(02-27-2016, 03:40 AM)adeneb Wrote: Looking forward to when something emerges, I have been reading these posts since December and are aware of the work "The Community" is doing I just hope that the nice people developing at Pine 64 are actually doing some of it. So far my testing of the PhoenixCard software with the android image failed to even  format two different new sd cards before throwing out a fail.

You may need to use something like SD card formatter or gparted to properly format the card first. Remember also that once formatted and the Android image is burned to the micro sd card, you won't be able to view the OS files on the card as Windows cannot detect it as being there. If you stick the micro sd with the burned image into a computer running Linux (Ubuntu for example), you can see all the partitions on the card (from what I remember there are 3 or 4 partitions).

But yeah, a successfully burned Android OS image will not show up on the SD card when inserted into a computer running Windows. At least it didn't for me. But showed up fine in Ubuntu.

Here is the thread about having problems with the Android image, where this is discussed a bit:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=248
(02-27-2016, 04:28 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(02-27-2016, 03:40 AM)adeneb Wrote: Looking forward to when something emerges, I have been reading these posts since December and are aware of the work "The Community" is doing I just hope that the nice people developing at Pine 64 are actually doing some of it. So far my testing of the PhoenixCard software with the android image failed to even  format two different new sd cards before throwing out a fail.

You may need to use something like SD card formatter or gparted to properly format the card first. Remember also that once formatted and the Android image is burned to the micro sd card, you won't be able to view the OS files on the card as Windows cannot detect it as being there. If you stick the micro sd with the burned image into a computer running Linux (Ubuntu for example), you can see all the partitions on the card (from what I remember there are 3 or 4 partitions).

But yeah, a successfully burned Android OS image will not show up on the SD card when inserted into a computer running Windows. At least it didn't for me. But showed up fine in Ubuntu.

Here is the thread about having problems with the Android image, where this is discussed a bit:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=248
The microSD card has been formatted as EXT4 file format which is default file format for Linux. In general, Windows OS doesn't recognize EXT4 file format.
Makes me wonder why they bother making a Windows version of the SD burner. My issue wasn't that I couldn't see the new format in windows, it failed to complete the format. I also have a mac and Linux system to work with.
(02-27-2016, 03:30 PM)adeneb Wrote: Makes me wonder why they bother making a Windows version of the SD burner. My issue wasn't that I couldn't see the new format in windows, it failed to complete the format. I also have a mac and Linux system to work with.

Really, it flagged up with a failure message? What did it say?

I did try to dd the image to micro sd using the terminal in Ubuntu but didn't have any joy. But it's quite possible that I did something wrong and that burning using other software apart from PhoenixCard is possible. I personally would definitely prefer to use a non-Windows solution.
(02-27-2016, 03:30 PM)adeneb Wrote: Makes me wonder why they bother making a Windows version of the SD burner. My issue wasn't that I couldn't see the new format in windows, it failed to complete the format. I also have a mac and Linux system to work with.

The Windows version Phoenixcard works for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine A64+ mainline mipi-dsi Learnincurve 3 6,431 01-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  DietPi OS for PINE A64 MichaIng 0 9,039 12-15-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: MichaIng
  Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pine A64+ Images wideawake 2 5,353 10-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: mathiraj
  LibreELEC(KODI) for Pine A64 (+) pineadmin 6 15,397 05-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: aaronmarsh632
  Lakka-nightlies for Pine A64 (and H64) roel 11 18,833 04-23-2020, 12:55 AM
Last Post: roel
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,072 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Read DHT22 on Pine A64 ayufan 3 6,439 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: {-DesT-}
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,590 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  Centos 7 for Pine A64 Luke 2 5,945 05-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin