Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute
Am interested to hear from anyone that has checked into the Sopine and just how compatible it is with the Raspberry Pi Compute 3 module. I have a product lined up to use the Pi compute but the Sopine looks interesting.
(02-01-2017, 07:06 PM)temcocontrols Wrote: Am interested to hear from anyone that has checked into the Sopine and just how compatible it is with the Raspberry Pi Compute 3 module. I have a product lined up to use the Pi compute but the Sopine looks interesting.

We have look into the RPi CM3 compatible possibility but prefer not to so do. Below are the few consideration:

1. SoPine use PMU (Power Management Unit) on board and CM lacking such design

2. For GbE, the RGMII is needed and CM doesn't has such setup

3. Prefer the power and ground follows SoDimm pin layout so that if accidently plug SoPine in actual SoDimm board or vice versa, for sure the system will not work and minimum damage harm.

4. SoPine need more pins for IO and prefer SoDIMM DDR3 due to more pins.
No, It doesnt have a meaning. As far as I know sopine uses ddr3 socket cm ddr2.

However, designing a custom board should be relatively easier with sopine, if I would change one thing I would also put touch, DSI and CSI on module too. This could decrease pin number significantly.
(02-02-2017, 03:19 AM)mbt28 Wrote: No, It doesnt have a meaning. As far as I know sopine uses ddr3 socket cm ddr2.

However, designing a custom board should be relatively easier with sopine, if I would change one thing I would also put touch, DSI and CSI on module too. This could decrease pin number significantly.

There is not really enough room for that on the sopine card itself.  Its really packed with the three main chips and the SD card ...
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
TLLM: Agreed, there's many trade-offs with trying to maintain compatibility but there'd be a lot of advantages as well.... just sayin. I will purchase some Sopine modules and see where things lead, we're working on an open source building automation system. I am looking forward to learning and getting involved with the Pine group. 

Here's a link to the project in case anyone's interested: 
https://github.com/temcocontrols/Rasberr...Controller
(02-02-2017, 10:27 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 03:19 AM)mbt28 Wrote: No, It doesnt have a meaning. As far as I know sopine uses ddr3 socket cm ddr2.

There is not really enough room for that on the sopine card itself.  Its really packed with the three main chips and the SD card ...

Would it be possible to make bigger module with same cost included with dsi csi pins on board. Because especially these ports uses so many ports and probably requires more layers. However SD card uses less pins and it could be better if we could have sd pinout on module.
(02-06-2017, 05:35 AM)mbt28 Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 10:27 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Would it be possible to make bigger module with same cost included with dsi csi pins on board. Because especially these ports uses so many ports and probably requires more layers. However SD card uses less pins and it could be better if we could have sd pinout on module.
SoPine is a 8 layer board.
(02-02-2017, 07:39 PM)temcocontrols Wrote: TLLM: Agreed, there's many trade-offs with trying to maintain compatibility but there'd be a lot of advantages as well.... just sayin. I will purchase some Sopine modules and see where things lead, we're working on an open source building automation system. I am looking forward to learning and getting involved with the Pine group. 

Here's a link to the project in case anyone's interested: 
https://github.com/temcocontrols/Rasberr...Controller

Thanks, lets collaborated together.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOQUARTZ Compute module W does not fit Raspberry Pi CM4 dev board ihab 0 1,483 10-06-2022, 08:46 PM
Last Post: ihab
  Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for PINE64, Model: Sopine A64 lamson 0 1,701 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: lamson
  [PBP] USB 2.0 devices on left USB-A port compatibility elof 0 1,542 06-05-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: elof
  1 of 7 SoPINE compute modules not receiving DHCP lease ClusterMaker 2 3,461 09-08-2020, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Dippywood
  PSCI, u-boot and reboot on Sopine ClusterBoard hbaxmann 0 2,302 09-03-2019, 11:57 PM
Last Post: hbaxmann
  sopine cluster board install Smurfbot 1 4,316 03-31-2018, 04:09 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Sopine A64 doesn't boot ubuntu stixcher 5 7,668 12-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Turning off RPI GPIO 5v on boot (SOPine) TeknoRapture 1 2,939 03-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Would the SOPINE modules work if they were put into a standard SODIMM RAM slot? Wiooooo 4 6,447 02-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777