Power-On button does not always work
I was investigating why the power button does not always work to turn the Pine back on (shuts down after 5 seconds) after a shutdown with no power cycle.

It seems to work reliably with a battery connected though. After comparing the boot logs I think I found the issue, but need some input on how to fix this,
probably in the ATF or by making sure the AXP803 is in the right state after a shutdown with power-off.

Boot log differences: https://www.diffchecker.com/ZVbSo0ap (Left column is cold boot from power cycle, Right column is button triggered boot after a previous shutdown)

1.) On a cold boot the AXP detects correctly that there is no battery ( see lines 16, 38 in the diff )

no battery, limit to dc  vs. normal dc exist, limit to dc

2.) A bit later in the startup this leads to (see line 117ff)

no battery exist vs. PowerBus = 2(0: not exist 1:vBus 2:acBus 3:vBus&acBus) Battery Voltage=0, Ratio=0 key trigger battery low power and vol with dc or ac, should charge longer

3.) And in the right case, the system gets switched off (see line 129)

[ 5.742]power off

So what basically happens is, that on a cold boot the AXP properly detects that there is no battery and so no issues with the battery voltage... after a shutdown without a power-cycle the AXP seems to come back in a state where it has a battery detected (even if there is none) and the low battery voltage / charge level triggers a power-off....
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(01-16-2017, 05:45 AM)xalius Wrote: I was investigating why the power button does not always work to turn the Pine back on (shuts down after 5 seconds) after a shutdown with no power cycle.

It seems to work reliably with a battery connected though. After comparing the boot logs I think I found the issue, but need some input on how to fix this,
probably in the ATF or by making sure the AXP803 is in the right state after a shutdown with power-off.

Boot log differences: https://www.diffchecker.com/ZVbSo0ap (Left column is cold boot from power cycle, Right column is button triggered boot after a previous shutdown)

1.) On a cold boot the AXP detects correctly that there is no battery ( see lines 16, 38 in the diff )

no battery, limit to dc  vs. normal dc exist, limit to dc

2.) A bit later in the startup this leads to (see line 117ff)

no battery exist vs. PowerBus = 2(0: not exist 1:vBus 2:acBus 3:vBus&acBus) Battery Voltage=0, Ratio=0 key trigger battery low power and vol with dc or ac, should charge longer

3.) And in the right case, the system gets switched off (see line 129)

[ 5.742]power off

So what basically happens is, that on a cold boot the AXP properly detects that there is no battery and so no issues with the battery voltage... after a shutdown without a power-cycle the AXP seems to come back in a state where it has a battery detected (even if there is none) and the low battery voltage / charge level triggers a power-off....

I have pass your info to Allwinner engineer and lets check whether they can provide a good solution.
I get the same issue.
Any news to this behaviour??
Otherwise the Power button is absolutely useless. Angry
btw. im using the latest Armbian Desktop image.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anyone get the power switch works? victorfence 0 1,943 11-28-2017, 01:31 AM
Last Post: victorfence