2nd display via GERT VGA 666 board/hat ?
Hi,
I know the backer survey is scheduled to go out today with the option to add more boards. I was really dissapointed to see that the lcd panel output was switched and won't support lvds. 

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the GPIO pins to run the GERT VGA 666 board/hat for the raspberry pi as an alternative video out option? I want to run a smaller (800x600) lcd as my primary/internal display while saving the hdmi output for the secondary/external display.

Thanks
(02-16-2016, 10:11 AM)n1tr0 Wrote: Hi,
I know the backer survey is scheduled to go out today with the option to add more boards. I was really dissapointed to see that the lcd panel output was switched and won't support lvds. 

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the GPIO pins to run the GERT VGA 666 board/hat for the raspberry pi as an alternative video out option? I want to run a smaller (800x600) lcd as my primary/internal display while saving the hdmi output for the secondary/external display.

Thanks

As mentioned several times, we never support LVDS since the project starts. The reason is all new LCD panel are MIPI interface. On the GERT VGA 666 board, we don't have enough info and knowledge to know whether able to support.
(02-17-2016, 06:17 AM)tllim Wrote: As mentioned several times, we never support LVDS since the project starts. The reason is all new LCD panel are MIPI interface. On the GERT VGA 666 board, we don't have enough info and knowledge to know whether able to support.

All your documentation showed the Pine64 supporting LVDS. It's still shown in the the wiki and prominently displayed in your graphics. 
Thanks for the non-answer on the vga hat, it's good to know exactly what sort of show you're running before I commit to buying any more boards.
[Image: A64_Block_Diagram.png]
(02-17-2016, 09:43 AM)n1tr0 Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 06:17 AM)tllim Wrote: As mentioned several times, we never support LVDS since the project starts. The reason is all new LCD panel are MIPI interface. On the GERT VGA 666 board, we don't have enough info and knowledge to know whether able to support.

All your documentation showed the Pine64 supporting LVDS. It's still shown in the the wiki and prominently displayed in your graphics. 
Thanks for the non-answer on the vga hat, it's good to know exactly what sort of show you're running before I commit to buying any more boards.
[Image: A64_Block_Diagram.png]

I think TL just means the LCD they are providing through Backerkit never claimed to be LVDS rather than the Pine flat out not supporting it. 

As for the Gert VGA board, there seems little reason why with a bit of software it can't be made to work, though as it is a Raspberry Pi accessory (I think), it will probably not work 'straight out of the box'. I am interested in using a VGA secondary screen myself.
I would hope in the matter of time, that most if not all Raspberry Pi accessories could be used without special configuration in pine64 (why have a pi 20x2 pin connector if you can't use the accessories). But until boards and shipping and Linux is available, it is just a pipe dream. In theory, you should be able to use the various PiTFT boards that use the SPI pins to drive the display.

You might need a 20x2 cable to connect things like HATs, since the form factor is different, but it should be a goal that it all works.
(02-17-2016, 11:15 AM)MichaelMeissner Wrote: I would hope in the matter of time, that most if not all Raspberry Pi accessories could be used without special configuration in pine64 (why have a pi 20x2 pin connector if you can't use the accessories).  But until boards and shipping and Linux is available, it is just a pipe dream.  In theory, you should be able to use the various PiTFT boards that use the SPI pins to drive the display.

You might need a 20x2 cable to connect things like HATs, since the form factor is different, but it should be a goal that it all works.

My (possibly false) understanding of the situation was that though the pinout for the pi-2 interface of the Pine and the later model Raspberry Pis are the same, there may be some compatibility issues due to each device using different components, for instance, using different SoCs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE64 + mini OLED display + Luma.OLED = PINEimus Prime sgjava 4 8,270 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: sgjava