Armbian for Pine64
Since I was mostly busy with my job and other things over the last couple month I only just recently came back to my Pine64 projects. I then was looking at the currently available Linux support options and found that Armbian now has official support for the Pine64. I am currently running one of their Ubuntu images with BSP kernel and an experimental one with an updated mainline (sunxi) kernel.

You can find more information and images at their Download site: https://www.armbian.com/pine64/
Make sure to read all the hints and issues which nicely sums up most things you need to be aware of or configure to your needs: https://docs.armbian.com/board_details/pine64/

While the download section has ready built images, Armbian is by design a build system which creates Debian/Ubuntu based images for ARM systems and you can roll your own  with custom configuration as well:  https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide...eparation/

I would like to collect information and feedback from other Armbian users here.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
I'm using Armian Mainline since several months.
Of course, my PineA64 is dedicated as headless SBC.
I have been using lcd version of armbian for a while now. Everything seems to work not too bad. I have even started building some test equipment for running with it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
i run a copy of 5.24 HDMI when i have time. it interested me that it is the only build for pine64 i have used that firefox works. also interesting is chromium 53 will install with no errors but gets only the "aw snap" errors on page loads , including settings , so there is not much that can be done with it. i had to set display=1080p50 to get it to have no overscan issues.
for my 5.25 copy, i can't have audio output (via hdmi) and i didn't tried to make BT working.
With midori browser i can't start any video ( for example youtube) but i could do it with debian.

wifi is ok
1080p is ok
xfce and mate are ok

firefox crashes.
libreoffice is ok

If someone can point me in the right direction for audio it could be nice.

thanks
Updated Armbian (PINE A64(+)) 5.30 on Wiki and PINE64 Installer.
I just want to share my experience with new Armbian.

I was using Armbian in my pine 64 2Gb board but later switched to Xenial Minimal Image [0.6.2-77] by ayufan, because I think this is the most rapidly updating OS available among all.
I use my Pine64 for the following purposes.
  1. Media player (to watch online TV series and downloaded movies)
  2. PHP, mysql server for my home business
  3. Home based network storage through Samba share
Even though video playback is terrible with linux in pine64, I am reluctant to use android as other 2 functions are difficult (if not impossible) with android.
(I used Android 7.1 Community Image [v0.3.5-r61] for a couple of days and it is only good for video play back. It is considerably slow to respond and at loading web pages).

Before I purchased the pine64, I used my Intel core 2 duo laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 and XAMPP, for the PHP/mysql server function. The laptop and a Tablet at sale point are connected to my home WIFI router. Later I connected the Pine64 to the same router through Ethernet port and used it as the PHP/Mysql server.

The speed of the server in pine64 (when using Xenial Minimal Image [0.6.2-77] by ayufan) is almost identical to XAMPP server in my laptop; even when I access the server from the laptop. That means local XAMPP server is identical in speed to remote server in Pine64.

Yesterday I again switched to Armbian [5.30] and updated it to 5.32 through apt-get. I used GPT partition table to format the SD card before installing the OS. The PHP/mysql server installed in new armbian OS is faster than the local XAMPP server when using through my laptop. I don't know this faster speed is because of the GPT partitioning of the SD card or just because Armbian.

Video playback is also better in Armbian compared to Xenile minimal with Mate DE. I had to install firefox browser for online video because video playback is jurky in chromium.

Overall I'm happy with the experience with Armbian in pine64 2Gb.

Thank you for reading.
(09-01-2017, 09:18 AM)Pushpike Wrote: I just want to share my experience with new Armbian.

I was using Armbian in my pine 64 2Gb board but later switched to Xenial Minimal Image [0.6.2-77] by ayufan, because I think this is the most rapidly updating OS available among all.
I use my Pine64 for the following purposes.
  1. Media player (to watch online TV series and downloaded movies)
  2. PHP, mysql server for my home business
  3. Home based network storage through Samba share
Even though video playback is terrible with linux in pine64, I am reluctant to use android as other 2 functions are difficult (if not impossible) with android.
(I used Android 7.1 Community Image [v0.3.5-r61] for a couple of days and it is only good for video play back. It is considerably slow to respond and at loading web pages).

Before I purchased the pine64, I used my Intel core 2 duo laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 and XAMPP, for the PHP/mysql server function. The laptop and a Tablet at sale point are connected to my home WIFI router. Later I connected the Pine64 to the same router through Ethernet port and used it as the PHP/Mysql server.

The speed of the server in pine64 (when using Xenial Minimal Image [0.6.2-77] by ayufan) is almost identical to XAMPP server in my laptop; even when I access the server from the laptop. That means local XAMPP server is identical in speed to remote server in Pine64.

Yesterday I again switched to Armbian [5.30] and updated it to 5.32 through apt-get. I used GPT partition table to format the SD card before installing the OS. The PHP/mysql server installed in new armbian OS is faster than the local XAMPP server when using through my laptop. I don't know this faster speed is because of the GPT partitioning of the SD card or just because Armbian.

Video playback is also better in Armbian compared to Xenile minimal with Mate DE. I had to install firefox browser for online video because video playback is jurky in chromium.

Overall I'm happy with the experience with Armbian in pine64 2Gb.

Thank you for reading.

Thanks on sharing your experience and glad that you are happy with Armbian build.
i have a pine 64 2gb (from may 2016.) with armbian(for me best from linux).
wi-fi, bluetooth,chromium and you tube ok. for now only problem: no audio(using hdmi) - how to solve this problem? thanks
Updated Armbian (PINE A64(+)) 5.35 on PINE64 Installer. Please visit the Wiki.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question PINE64 PA642GB Armbian - no Microphone plug spel 1 3,520 11-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pinebug
  Armbian 22.02 Release Announcement TRS-80 0 1,880 02-28-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  +LTS/SOPINE PINE64 5 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA MODULE lendi 4 7,648 12-31-2021, 07:23 AM
Last Post: madupine
  DisplayLink with Pine64 henryhu 0 2,638 02-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Last Post: henryhu
  Software Updates in Armbian CVBruce 1 3,883 07-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Last Post: martinayotte
  Armbian enable toucscreen right-click burningkrome 0 2,906 12-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: burningkrome
  PineA64+ Armbian not boot, black screen and log klode 3 7,456 10-14-2018, 04:02 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
Exclamation Armbian Bionic on Pine A64+ black screen starmagoo 11 18,686 08-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Last Post: starmagoo
  TeamViewer on Pine64+? Moshe.Vazan 2 5,349 07-12-2018, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Moshe.Vazan
  +LTS/SOPINE kivy on armbian with lcd baumbachandrew 0 3,008 05-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: baumbachandrew