Pine 64 on 512MB
Could someone please confirm that all models of the Pine A64 support Windows IOT? It would be nice if this could also always be published somewhere on the website.

Also is Windows IOT remotely usable with only 512MB? I don't need much but as long as it can run one full screen app and also a little serial communication it would be a very useful device. (even if the graphics still runs as slow as the Pi 2 B, that would be sufficient)

Many thanks!
(12-13-2016, 02:58 PM)embedder Wrote: Could someone please confirm that all models of the Pine A64 support Windows IOT? It would be nice if this could also always be published somewhere on the website.

Also is Windows IOT remotely usable with only 512MB? I don't need much but as long as it can run one full screen app and also a little serial communication it would be a very useful device. (even if the graphics still runs as slow as the Pi 2 B, that would be sufficient)

Many thanks!

All due respects, you're asking the wrong question;  does Windows IoT support the 512 Pine ?

The Pine board will run pretty much whatever you want to run on it;  the constraints are due to memory size and suitability of the gpu and drivers. 512 M is not much memory in modern terms;  but some things run on it if not pushed too hard.  Whether Win IoT is one of them I can't say;  but I am skeptical.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(12-13-2016, 08:19 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 02:58 PM)embedder Wrote: Could someone please confirm that all models of the Pine A64 support Windows IOT? It would be nice if this could also always be published somewhere on the website.

Many thanks!

All due respects, you're asking the wrong question;  does Windows IoT support the 512 Pine ?

The Pine board will run pretty much whatever you want to run on it;  the constraints are due to memory size and suitability of the gpu and drivers. 512 M is not much memory in modern terms;  but some things run on it if not pushed too hard.  Whether Win IoT is one of them I can't say;  but I am skeptical.

I've just checked with my Raspberry Pi B running Windows IoT only running the dashboard and it's memory usage statistics say:

Total: 973.6 MB
In use: 299.2 MB
Available: 674.4 MB
Committed: 233.4 MB
Paged: 33.8 MB
Non-paged: 17.9 MB

So from a memory point of view it should be more than sufficient for a simple easy to program, internet connected, screen supporting glorified Arduino. (I'm very much interested in using these devices for more embedded purposes, rather than high end video devices or similar).

I see the chips seem to be identical (which is a good indication that it should be fine), but my question still stands if the given Windows IoT image has been confirmed to work on the 512MB version (from the drivers, memory constraints perspective etc. etc.).

(Thanks for the answer though by the way :-) )
(12-14-2016, 06:05 AM)embedder Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 08:19 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Many thanks!

I've just checked with my Raspberry Pi B running Windows IoT only running the dashboard and it's memory usage statistics say:

Total: 973.6 MB
In use: 299.2 MB
Available: 674.4 MB
Committed: 233.4 MB
Paged: 33.8 MB
Non-paged: 17.9 MB

So from a memory point of view it should be more than sufficient for a simple easy to program, internet connected, screen supporting glorified Arduino. (I'm very much interested in using these devices for more embedded purposes, rather than high end video devices or similar).

I see the chips seem to be identical (which is a good indication that it should be fine), but my question still stands if the given Windows IoT image has been confirmed to work on the 512MB version (from the drivers, memory constraints perspective etc. etc.).

(Thanks for the answer though by the way :-) )

It appear possible but all my boards have 2 GB or I would test it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Win10 IoT (PINE A64(+)) 10.0.15063.0_20170602 pineadmin 30 52,211 05-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  +LTS/SOPINE Can Win10 IOT be used on PINE A64-LTS? uart 1 4,577 03-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  unable to deploy my application to the Pine using Visual Studio 2017 Matthew 9 13,532 03-08-2018, 04:20 AM
Last Post: zio69
  Windows 10 IoT finally released on Pine A64 platform tllim 25 60,402 08-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: terone63