HDMI media PC and smarthome
I purchased a Pine64 through kickstarter and am and interested in using this PC as a multi purpose device.  I will utilize it as a HDMI media PC with Kodi, but I would also like to use it as a zwave controller.  I was wondering if this is possible.

I see the simple ability to use this PC to turn on/off lights, fans and scenes.  But being that this PC will be connected to my 70" TV as a monitor, I figured I could get multiple purposes from it.

My second questoin is if it will have an IR port built in.  I have a logitech Harmony Elite home remote that I would also like to use with this awesome new computer.

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You should be able to install Kodi for Android on it, and connect it to your TV. I will be doing something very similar myself.

As for the IR Port, no IR port, but you can buy a USB IR receiver. I also have a Harmony remote, and I am using an old HP USB IR receiver.
(02-12-2016, 03:24 AM)Dizzy49 Wrote: You should be able to install Kodi for Android on it, and connect it to your TV.  I will be doing something very similar myself.

As for the IR Port, no IR port, but you can buy a USB IR receiver.  I also have a Harmony remote, and I am using an old HP USB IR receiver.

There is in fact an IR receiver port on the board.

It's near the bottom right corner of that image. Not sure about various remote compatibilities, though.
I have exactly the same goal and I have decided to take a Pine64 IOT package to this purpose. I have currently a home automation based on z-wave and would like to enhance it by adding the possibility to control Bluetooth BLE and also to have a decent media center allowing to play h265 and Blu-ray iso files stored on my NAS.

I don't what is the most suited solution to me. OpenHAB runs on Linux and it is currently difficult to install a decent media player on it. In an other hand, what is the current status on the implementation of z-wave on Android devices? Can it be possible to have an icon for enabling/disabling z-wave like for Wifi and Bluetooth? Can we find on play store software for managing z-wave network? I don't know if I will use at the end the PINE64 as primary or secondary controller but I would like to know what is the easiest way to start for having the capability to use the PINE64 as media center AND z-wave controller at the same time without too much trouble (meaning doing simple configuration and not heavy coding).
Another question, can we run application as a service in the background on Android allowing to listen z-wave network and executes eventually rules and scenarios even if we are using the device at the same time for something else?

Finally, I would like to know if that possible to use some PINE64 pins to connect them directly to wall switches for controlling my z-wave lights.

Cédric
(02-12-2016, 05:13 AM)FrenchFrog Wrote: I have exactly the same goal and I have decided to take a Pine64 IOT package to this purpose. I have currently a home automation based on z-wave and would like to enhance it by adding the possibility to control Bluetooth BLE and also to have a decent media center allowing to play h265 and Blu-ray iso files stored on my NAS.

I don't what is the most suited solution to me. OpenHAB runs on Linux and it is currently difficult to install a decent media player on it. In an other hand, what is the current status on the implementation of z-wave on Android devices? Can it be possible to have an icon for enabling/disabling z-wave like for Wifi and Bluetooth? Can we find on play store software for managing z-wave network? I don't know if I will use at the end the PINE64 as primary or secondary controller but I would like to know what is the easiest way to start for having the capability to use the PINE64 as media center AND z-wave controller at the same time without too much trouble (meaning doing simple configuration and not heavy coding).
Another question, can we run application as a service in the background on Android allowing to listen z-wave network and executes eventually rules and scenarios even if we are using the device at the same time for something else?

Finally, I would like to know if that possible to use some PINE64 pins to connect them directly to wall switches for controlling my z-wave lights.

Cédric

There do seem to be a number of Android home automation apps on the Google Play Store that support z-wave. Having not used them, I can't comment on their features or performance, but the software is there. 'Z-Wave Home Automation' and 'InControl Home Automation Free' seem to be the highest rated.

Android is probably your best bet right now, as Linux development is still in process, whereas Android development is more stable and reliable. 

I can't see why you couldn't use the Pine running Android as a home automation system and media centre combined. In theory, at least.

Welcome to the forum! Big Grin
(02-12-2016, 05:24 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 05:13 AM)FrenchFrog Wrote: I have exactly the same goal and I have decided to take a Pine64 IOT package to this purpose. I have currently a home automation based on z-wave and would like to enhance it by adding the possibility to control Bluetooth BLE and also to have a decent media center allowing to play h265 and Blu-ray iso files stored on my NAS.

Cédric

There do seem to be a number of Android home automation apps on the Google Play Store that support z-wave. Having not used them, I can't comment on their features or performance, but the software is there. 'Z-Wave Home Automation' and 'InControl Home Automation Free' seem to be the highest rated.

Android is probably your best bet right now, as Linux development is still in process, whereas Android development is more stable and reliable. 

I can't see why you couldn't use the Pine running Android as a home automation system and media centre combined. In theory, at least.

Thanks for your answer. However, I don't think it will work like that.

The InControl Home Automation (or others android apps) needs to connect to a "brain/hub" and doesn't care about the built-in z-wave chip. The Android apps can be only considered as sophisticated remote control. For InControl, the first step is to plug a USB Z-wave stick to your PC and to run an InControl Console on it. It means that your PC will be the "brain" and will have to be powered up all the time. I use already such kind of application (Imperihome).

Here, the PINE64 has at least to act as a "regular" zwave device visible  that can be included it into the mesh network. It might be also possible to replace the existing hub by the PINE64.
That is for what OpenHAB is meant to be but I don't see something equivalent working on Android and I am not sure to have my media center working if I use OpenHAB...

I know that the company Zipato is releasing the Zipatile (android tablet used as the main controller). It means that is technically feasible but I don't know if I can configure my PINE64 with android as they have done for their product with existing products on the market.
(02-12-2016, 10:27 AM)FrenchFrog Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 05:24 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:

Cédric

Thanks for your answer. However, I don't think it will work like that.

The InControl Home Automation (or others android apps) needs to connect to a "brain/hub" and doesn't care about the built-in z-wave chip. The Android apps can be only considered as sophisticated remote control. For InControl, the first step is to plug a USB Z-wave stick to your PC and to run an InControl Console on it. It means that your PC will be the "brain" and will have to be powered up all the time. I use already such kind of application (Imperihome).

Here, the PINE64 has at least to act as a "regular" zwave device visible  that can be included it into the mesh network. It might be also possible to replace the existing hub by the PINE64.
That is for what OpenHAB is meant to be but I don't see something equivalent working on Android and I am not sure to have my media center working if I use OpenHAB...

I know that the company Zipato is releasing the Zipatile (android tablet used as the main controller). It means that is technically feasible but I don't know if I can configure my PINE64 with android as they have done for their product with existing products on the market.

Ah, I see. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I think realistic expectations for this board would be to view separate functions as needing separate boards. I currently use a Raspberry Pi with Kodi for my home entertainment front end, and I plan to use the Pine for my Home Automation system. I envision the 2 devices interacting, but being separate devices performing completely separate functions overall.

I realize it's not a great response to your query, but I figure my 2 cents on how I'm planning to approach a similar situation might help.
I am also planning a similar implementation for my pine making it the heart of my zwave network with a 7" touchscreen screen and hopefully the playbox enclosure, giving the option to add a battery in the future. For my media center I'm using a nvidia shield and want to install a home automation app on it for android to interface through to openhab.

I thought it would be cool to plug in an HDMI second screen as well but not sure if it will work separate or mirror the touchscreen on Pine64+ 2GB, or maybe the touchscreen will only work by itself.

Anyone know if it is possible to specify the enclosure we want if we have ordered IoT package and are adding on the touchscreen?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 as NAS/Media Server VandaL.pr! 1 6,126 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Luke
Question HDMI Input sank 4 6,589 12-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Cannot install Plex Media Server under Arch Linux malevolent 2 5,499 09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Last Post: ChrisLane
  Pine 64 as a NAS media centre cerberusjvl 11 19,718 05-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Last Post: By-Jokese
  Media server montero65 3 6,006 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: queonda
  Home Media Center Myszaks 2 5,180 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Last Post: GoZone