resize root partition to max available space SD card can provide
(11-16-2016, 01:12 PM)Armbian User Wrote:
(11-16-2016, 01:13 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, the resize_rootfs.sh should have a path specified also

Strange, almost all the time you answer user questions polite, friendly and wrong. Why do you do this especially as moderator users might trust blindly?

I am not responsible for your ad hominems.

... having said that, I am normally polite and friendly because those are my values and in keeping with my principles.  Despite your lack of respect ,   I never answer 'wrongly' nor do I give incorrect advice. If you were a clearer thinker you would realize that while you might not agree with my technical opinion ( nor are you necessarily aware of the technical nuance used ) we might both be 'right'  or 'wrong'  depending entirely upon our perspective.  

I am an expert ( highly trained, and highly educated ) and I know what I'm talking about. If you are interested I will explain my perspective on this one point of minutia:  We are not talking about what may or may not work--- we are talking about form.  In a script it is ALWAYS proper form to specify the full path to all executables.  Failing to follow this simple scripting rubric leads to many problematic nuances too numerous for the scope of this post. 

I stand by my advice to specify full paths to all expected executables, and--- be aware that the resizing script under some circumstances not fully understood the script does not always work. Further, if your script does not function the SD card can be resized with gparted from another machine ;  preferrably a gnu+linux machine (Mint linux for instance) or a mac .
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(11-16-2016, 09:14 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(11-16-2016, 01:12 PM)Armbian User Wrote:
(11-16-2016, 01:13 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, the resize_rootfs.sh should have a path specified also

Strange, almost all the time you answer user questions polite, friendly and wrong. Why do you do this especially as moderator users might trust blindly?

I never answer 'wrongly' nor do I give incorrect advice.

You do this way too often. Care to read your own words above? Wrong and misleading. And now you start to talk about internal paths to executables which is something different. Anyway: a Google search for 'dunning kruger' might explain this specific problem  Tongue

The technical problem can be resolved by not using outdated/broken OS images any more who do all of this correctly. Apart from that fake SD cards showing a wrong capacity also exist.
(11-16-2016, 07:08 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(11-16-2016, 12:37 PM)bilylilyli Wrote: hi, how can I specify the path when I run the resize_rootfs.sh?

hi, I run those two command, and I attach the resuld. The first picture is for df -h and the second one is for fdisk -l.

When you look at the code for resize_rootfs.sh that I linked to earlier, it's pretty obvious that resize_rootfs.sh doesn't accept any parameters - it is hard-coded at lines 11 & 12 to resize "/dev/mmcblk0p2" - which is the second partition on your microSD card.

If you look back that df -h (or the fdisk) listing, you can see that you have /dev/mmcblk0p1 (50MB in size) and /dev/mmcblk0p2 (7GB in size). /dev/mmcblk0p1 is a boot partition, and if you look at the microsd on a Windows machine, that is all you will be able to see (without installing extra drivers / software). /dev/mmcblk0p2 is the actual data partition for linux, and that is the one that should be resized when you run resize_rootfs.sh. The problem now is in knowing why the resize has failed, as you said this is on a 16GB microSD, and it hasn't been resized up to use the full 16GB. Do you get any errors or output from resize_rootfs.sh when you run it again (make sure you're running as root).

Can you give the link to where you got the image from or which version it was, - as I indicated earlier, there was a older image that had a bug in resize_rootfs but that was fixed about three-four months ago, so I just want to make sure that image is not still linked as a current image somewhere.

hi, I have upload the screen capture for the output from resize_rootfs.sh. It did not show any errors, but nothing to do.
And the image I download is the "debian-mate-jessie-20160701-lenny.raposo-longsleep-pine64-8GB" 
and this is the link
Debian Linux Jessie with Mate GUI Image [20160701] by lenny.raposo with Longsleep kernel 
(Direct download from pine64.org)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-17-2016, 01:12 PM)bilylilyli Wrote:  I have upload the screen capture for the output from resize_rootfs.sh. It did not show any errors, but nothing to do.
And the image I download is the "debian-mate-jessie-20160701-lenny.raposo-longsleep-pine64-8GB" 
and this is the link

This error message is classic.

... the date on the repo is the key 07-01-2016 is the back-level ( very old ) image.  This is the image where the 'broken' resize_rootfs.sh  was discovered  ( I am actually the one who discovered it, and I was the one who worked with lennyraposo to get it fixed ).

Unfortunately, it is 'still' broken. The script will run, you will get no errors, but it will report that there is nothing to do...   again, classic.

If you put the SD card in another computer and run gparted on it, you can resize it there;  otherwise, keep whining about a very well known issue like its today's news !
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
@pfeerick

Thanks for the explanation and detailed (easy to follow) solutions. Still learning Linux. . . the detailed step by step instructions (with just enough detail about what each step is doing) are super helpful.

Of course I must say I'm getting super frustrated with Pine that nothing is straight forward! I expect to have to hit the forums and do some leg work to customize whatever OS I'm using to try to get it to suit my needs, HOWEVER the the basics of getting the OS up and running should be taken care of! I can't believe that the image which has been posted to the main Pine board since July still has a fundamental flaw in it which prevents a user from completing first time setup following the officially provided instructions! This has been pretty consistent with my pine experience to date.

That said thanks to you and all the others who have worked so tirelessly to support to neophyte user base like me trying to learn about and get excited about SBC and the Pine64! Just frustrated that the main Pine Team is making this so difficult. . ..
(11-18-2016, 02:15 PM)YSam Wrote: @pfeerick

Thanks for the explanation and detailed (easy to follow) solutions. Still learning Linux. . . the detailed step by step instructions (with just enough detail about what each step is doing) are super helpful.

Of course I must say I'm getting super frustrated with Pine that nothing is straight forward! ...   Just frustrated that the main Pine Team is making this so difficult. . ..

hi YSam,  you are mis-informed about who is making this so difficult.  The people that made this so difficult is the over-zealous marketing team with kick-starter ( who are now gone ) because they represented this development board as a finished 'polished' product;  when in fact,  the PineA64 board is a development board not intended to be a finished appliance. 

Pine Inc provided the hardware development board --  the community of volunteers provided most of what you see from a software standpoint -- and none of them were paid anything for it except that they were provided with a lot of hardware free of charge ( thank you ). 

The truth is that there are many people ( all volunteers ) who are making this experience less difficult every day. The reason none of this is straight-forward for noobs and lay-people is that it is ALL in development even now. Many users on the forum and on the irc have provided their services ( excellent by the way ) on a volunteer basis ;  this is fantastic.  We all feel like each one of us can either be a part of the problem or a part of the solution;  if anyone wants to help it will be welcome.
marcushh777    Cool

(11-18-2016, 02:14 PM)bilylilyli Wrote: hi, when I run '/usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh', it showed '-bash: /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh: permission denied'. Is there any problem with the download?

Probably not... I forgot to document a step! Blush

After downloading the script, but before running it (so immediately after the curl / wget line), you need to do a chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh to make the script executable otherwise it won't run! Wink

@YSam: No problem... we're all learning this together, and everyone has to start somewhere! Wink I'll just point out that pine64 didn't provide any of the linux distros - they provided the Android 5.1.1 builds, and all the linux stuff has come from hard work of the sunxi-linux developers and longsleep. Longsleep put together the ubuntu distro, and continues to maintain that. Lenny put together the debian distro, but doesn't appear to be maintaining it any longer, so known issues and bugs which are only documented on the forum rather than on the downloads pages so they don't keep coming up again time after time are becoming increasingly more common (such as the broken package dependencies). For a more rewarding experience, I would strongly suggest you look at either longsleeps ubuntu build (which does have a script in install/configure the desktop environment if you want it) or if you don't need a desktop environment / GUI (for now at least) have a look at Armbian (legacy kernel) - which you can get in debian and ubuntu flavours Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  root running from usb connected ssd locks up system marcelser 0 2,496 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Last Post: marcelser
  OMV base on Debian jessie Root Problem ayamy 3 5,490 09-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: tllim
Wink clone copy of sd card by using partclone hatahata 6 8,922 11-04-2016, 12:53 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  root password shaozhai 4 6,381 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jl_678
  how to use USB hard disk as /(root) hatahata 15 17,533 07-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Last Post: hatahata
Sad How to resize the root partition in order to fully utilize the SD Card MicroDiery 5 7,284 05-24-2016, 05:48 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Debian root's password? rayivy 2 4,178 05-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Last Post: rayivy
Bug Firewall bug and free space , need to help ! ( debian xfce Released Apr 08 2016 ) joe 2 4,302 05-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Last Post: joe
  what is the root password for debian? piahoo 5 10,660 04-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Last Post: rhkean