Linux distributions on PINE64 ?
(02-11-2016, 11:19 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Wish I had done my research a bit more regarding AllWinner and Pine as a whole.

:S

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic...-computer/

Good luck to Linux development folks I'm out of here!!!

It seems Linux support for a lot of these ARM-based boards is problematic, it is not just limited to the Pine. That link has been floating around a while and reflects this. As has been mentioned also, it is only fairly recently that Raspberry Pi, for example, has gotten proper Ubuntu support in the form of Ubuntu MATE on the RPi2. Development takes time. 

What we can do is either work on the issues that arise, or if we can't do that, we should encourage and support those who can.
I must admit that after reading this thread and other similar ones, my enthusiasm for pine64 is dropping. In general, I don't care about Android, and I was expecting that the Linux support was further along. Oh well, my bad. Maybe it will be better when it actually ships.

From afar, it looks it looks like the pine64 developers are using the "Field of Dreams" approach to Linux (if they build people will come), where they expect the community will magically provide the missing bits for free. Maybe they will, but most likely it won't.

This single board computers price say  for basic user can't buy the computer to use learning write programmer ( C , C++ , JAVA , Python and other.....) and how to use run gpio super computer  , every one think this is MAC computer and PC desktop Internal have Intel cpu Xeon top model , GeForce GTX TITAN X
, DDR4 16GB RAM ,  Windows 10 , Naive.

Pine64 can play native android 4k video and run linux use LibreOffice for student do home work , is very good !
forgive me No courtesy , but here people very naive !
(02-12-2016, 10:55 AM)joe Wrote: This single board computers price say  for basic user can't buy the computer to use learning write programmer ( C , C++ , JAVA , Python and other.....) and how to use run gpio super computer  , every one think this is MAC computer and PC desktop Internal have Intel cpu Xeon top model , GeForce GTX TITAN X
, DDR4 16GB RAM ,  Windows 10 , Naive.[/size]

Pine64 can play native android  4k video
But will it play the video on Linux?  As I said, I don't care what it can do under Android, I bought it to run Linux.  Will it support the DSI based LCD under LInux?  Will there be any 3d optimizations by using the GPU? Will the camera work under Linux with full video and 5MP still support? Will the wifi/bluetooth card work under Linux (for both wifi/bluetooth)? What about the ethernet adapter.

(02-12-2016, 10:55 AM)joe Wrote: and run linux use LibreOffice for student do home work , is very good !

Whoop-de-do.  That is a very low bar to cross.  If it supports the graphics screen at all, no matter how slow, it will support LibreOffice.  But is the graphics environment usable?

(02-12-2016, 10:55 AM)joe Wrote: forgive me No courtesy , but here people very naive !
I dunno, I have been using Linux since 1995 and UNIX before that since roughly 1982 (with a brief stint in 1978).  I have used Linux on PowerPC (currently server class, but back in the day embedded systems), x86 (going all the way back to Pentiums and 486's), arm (Raspberry Pi).  I have used UNIX on machines made by Data General, Digital Equipment Corporation, Sun Microsystems, Sparcs, and a NS32K server system, etc.

And I have been working on GNU source (mostly GCC) since 1986 or 1987, so I am familiar with open source communities.

(02-12-2016, 09:28 AM)joe Wrote: Guys , Please search youtube !

This is some video running linux
This is a video of an orange pi running an X display, but this forum is talking about pine64.  Raspberry Pi video works also on 4 different display types.  However, at the SBC (single board computer) layer, a lot of low level details matter.   The question is does pine64 have paid developers bringing up Linux on their boxes to iron out the problems that are unique to the pine64, or are they using the field of dreams method that a lot of hardware companies use, thinking that magically somebody will support their box for free.

In addition to developers working on the support issue, are these developers known by the other Linux developers and distro maintainers so that the source changes have a hope of getting back into the official sources?  If you have never worked in an open source community, it can be hard to get your changes in.  It is an iterative process when you might work on stuff, and adjust it to meet the code base, and you have to support it in the future.  You can't just dump your changes without modification and walk away.

So far, from my reading of these various threads, that while the pine64 developers seem to be decent hardware engineers, I'm not sure they grok open source and open source communities at all.
Grok - my new favourite word Smile
(02-12-2016, 03:13 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Grok - my new favourite word Smile

It comes from Roger Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange land: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok, and later via the Jargon File and hacker culture in the 1980's and 1990's.
Joe do you even understand where the community is coming from?

Pine is not working on the Linux porting its the community, so in other words Pine has nothing in the Linux department without people like us in the community having to do their work (something that kernel developers were laughing at in the previous link I provided).

I wanna ask you something @joe. Do you know anything about kernel programming? Do you know what the challenges are in terms of getting AllWinners to work with linux? Do you understand the difficulties in driver development for the Mali series GPUs? Do you know why the Linux community at large shares a distaste for the binary garbage that the AllWinner team provides in terms getting started with Linux on these boards?

I only ask cause maybe a little clarification is required in terms finding common ground on where both sides stand in terms of understanding the challenges ahead.

To date I know of no other platform that has 3d accel on Mali GPUs in Linux, even the video link you provided shows that. Do we even have open source drivers available for the rest of the Pine64 components (like @MichaelMeissner asked)? Are we gonna have to work with shims to the android binary drivers provided to get this working?

I, as I can't speak for others, was under the impression that perhaps that may be different with this project. Does the Pine team have access to actual sources that we can use to compile PROPER drivers for the gpu/lan/wifi/bluetooth for linux native? Or did AllWinner just give the Android bits and kept the sources closed off like so many other kernel teams have complained about in the past?

Just to be clear in terms of my knowledge and understanding:
Comptia A+ Net+ Linux+ Server+
UCP (Ubuntu Certified Professional)

Come prepared with your answer this time.
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
(02-13-2016, 03:09 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Joe do you even understand where the community is coming from?

Pine is not working on the Linux porting its the community, so in other words Pine has nothing in the Linux department without people like us in the community having to do their work (something that kernel developers were laughing at in the previous link I provided).

I wanna ask you something @joe. Do you know anything about kernel programming? Do you know what the challenges are in terms of getting AllWinners to work with linux? Do you understand the difficulties in driver development for the Mali series GPUs? Do you know why the Linux community at large shares a distaste for the binary garbage that the AllWinner team provides in terms getting started with Linux on these boards?

I only ask cause maybe a little clarification is required in terms finding common ground on where both sides stand in terms of understanding the challenges ahead.

To date I know of no other platform that has 3d accel on Mali GPUs in Linux, even the video link you provided shows that. Do we even have open source drivers available for the rest of the Pine64 components (like @MichaelMeissner asked)? Are we gonna have to work with shims to the android binary drivers provided to get this working?

I, as I can't speak for others, was under the impression that perhaps that may be different with this project. Does the Pine team have access to actual sources that we can use to compile PROPER drivers for the gpu/lan/wifi/bluetooth for linux native? Or did AllWinner just give the Android bits and kept the sources closed off like so many other kernel teams have complained about in the past?

My jobs is not do this , so  too more detail i don't know !
but i think is not pine64 problem , then end , and i am not talking to you !

i reply is @MichaelMeissner , why you reply me ?
Perhaps someone from the Pine64 team has answers to these questions?
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
Joe has a lot of enthusiasm, and that's great. 

People like Lenny have a lot of knowledge, and that is also great. 

This is a bit like a football fan talking to a football analyst. A fan loves football because he loves his team and loves to go and watch them play, whereas the analyst loves football because of being able to discern and explain the technical aspects and nuances that combine together to make football great.

We probably all love computing, that's why we backed a project like this. And we each have different views on this project.

Some clarity about where we're at from the Pine64 folks regarding Linux development and the state of play with AllWinner wouldn't go amiss.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,058 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,068 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Manjaro arm on pine64+ roel 2 5,778 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM
Last Post: roel
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,580 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,038 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Volumio for PINE64 Released mikelangeloz 11 24,128 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: llungster
  Gentoo Linux test image xalius 23 47,857 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: necrose99
  I2S Audio patches for Pine64+ uploaded to GitHub ramstadt 1 3,960 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: ramstadt
  Pine64: Minimal SDL config Max11 3 5,852 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Max11