OSMC compatibility
Hi all,

My intention is to get half a dozen PINE64 boards and build them up with a simple media centre on external USB hard drives then give them to relatives and friends.

I have been looking into OSMC as a nice friendly option (simplicity and ease of use are more important than deep functionality such as Kodi has at this stage for my target user media centre experience level), however I have been reading about lack of hardware support for Allwinner chipsets on Linux-based OSs. 

I know there are negotiations underway with Allwinner fom PINE to hopefully improve this situation, so I was just wondering if there was any further information available about a roadmap or intention for OSMC being compatibile on PINE64?

And is anyone else interested in this combination?
(02-05-2016, 10:47 PM)Crispin Wrote: Hi all,

My intention is to get half a dozen PINE64 boards and build them up with a simple media centre on external USB hard drives then give them to relatives and friends.

I have been looking into OSMC as a nice friendly option (simplicity and ease of use are more important than deep functionality such as Kodi has at this stage for my target user media centre experience level), however I have been reading about lack of hardware support for Allwinner chipsets on Linux-based OSs. 

I know there are negotiations underway with Allwinner fom PINE to hopefully improve this situation, so I was just wondering if there was any further information available about a roadmap or intention for OSMC being compatibile on PINE64?

And is anyone else interested in this combination?

Something similar but maybe not OSMC.
My intention is use this as pure Kodi but I would like to keep more options. So fully based Debian behind maybe. Something like XBIan for RPi is 
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
I'd like OSMC to run on more hardware and I'm always striving to improve our hardware support.

I have already been asked about the Pine 64, and I've outlined my concerns in this thread: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/pine64-the-n...hing/10827.

I could probably bring OSMC up on Pine 64 quite quickly. However it's certain at the moment, given the current state of vendor support, that we wouldn't be able to deliver the performant, stable and dependable OSMC experience that you have come to expect from using OSMC on other devices. I won't be going out of my way to obtain a board when I am already aware of the current state of AllWinner's Linux support, their available video decoding APIs and open source project's (like Kodi) lack of willingness to support these SoCs.

We shall soon see Pine 64's commitment to the open source community. We will also see how much influence they having in getting AllWinner to change their tone. This will be indicative of AllWinner's true opinion of the open source community post apology and whether there is any substance to their plans to turn over a new leaf.

Sam
(02-12-2016, 08:33 PM)sam_nazarko Wrote: I'd like OSMC to run on more hardware and I'm always striving to improve our hardware support.

I have already been asked about the Pine 64, and I've outlined my concerns in this thread: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/pine64-the-n...hing/10827.

I could probably bring OSMC up on Pine 64 quite quickly. However it's certain at the moment, given the current state of vendor support, that we wouldn't be able to deliver the performant, stable and dependable OSMC experience that you have come to expect from using OSMC on other devices. I won't be going out of my way to obtain a board when I am already aware of the current state of AllWinner's Linux support, their available video decoding APIs and open source project's (like Kodi) lack of willingness to support these SoCs.

We shall soon see Pine 64's commitment to the open source community. We will also see how much influence they having in getting AllWinner to change their tone. This will be indicative of AllWinner's true opinion of the open source community post apology and whether there is any substance to their plans to turn over a new leaf.

Sam

Many thanks for stopping by and commenting Smile
Video 
I have recently got my 2GB Pine 64s (2 of them) and I was planning on using one as a server and one as a media centre.

It is looking more and more like the media centre might not happen
given the issues that seem to exist around the Allwinner company not releasing it's source code and hardware acceleration support perhaps not being great.

This also seems to rule out Kodi and Stremio.

The Android TV builds seem like they might be an option but from reading here the Netflix support seems to be buggy even in the most promising build. I will be installing an Android TV image soon to test this myself.

Pine 64 company owners, can you please answer these questions:
  • Are you talking to Allwinner at all?
  • Is there potential that this issue will be resolved so there is better software support for your hardware?

Thank you for any news you can provide this and the OSMC open source community.  Smile
(01-15-2017, 07:12 PM)ootoovak Wrote: I have recently got my 2GB Pine 64s (2 of them) and I was planning on using one as a server and one as a media centre.

It is looking more and more like the media centre might not happen
given the issues that seem to exist around the Allwinner company not releasing it's source code and hardware acceleration support perhaps not being great.

This also seems to rule out Kodi and Stremio.

The Android TV builds seem like they might be an option but from reading here the Netflix support seems to be buggy even in the most promising build. I will be installing an Android TV image soon to test this myself.

Pine 64 company owners, can you please answer these questions:
  • Are you talking to Allwinner at all?
  • Is there potential that this issue will be resolved so there is better software support for your hardware?

Thank you for any news you can provide this and the OSMC open source community.  Smile

bump

as the Pine 64 company made a big deal about this board being a good board for KODI yet these problems exist.
it's easy to promo something and the forget about the fact that a lot of people also bought the board to use only as a  media centre...

so can you guys answer the questions please... Huh