Install 32bit java
Hi.

I have the Debian-Mate installed, and I`m trying to install 32bit java.

Been reading a lot to try and figure out how to install it.
Ì`m trying my best, but I`ve just started using Linux. So pls be nice to me Smile

I tried:
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf
But it gave me:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf : Depends: libcups2:armhf but it is not going to be installed
although it's not strict apt-get, i have found that the synaptic package manager can sometimes be quicker way to deal with dependency issues. it has a good search function and it may be installed in the debian build, i can not remember. i think it is in the system dropdown.
(11-01-2016, 02:10 AM)Trond Wrote: it gave me:
openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf : Depends: libcups2:armhf but it is not going to be installed

You could try installing also libcups2:armhf, either before installing java, or on the same line

Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf libcups2:armhf

and if apt gives you more files it is not going to install, add those. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads to a chain reaction of dependencies to dozens or hundreds of files, which can mess with all your programs. I hope not.

libcups is part of cups, the printing system, so the reason for not installing libcups: armhf could be that it would conflict with the already installed 64 bit versions of the same files. You could then "force install" things ( with -f ) but that could mess up printing of everything, or just printing with 32 bit java.

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf

or

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf libcups2:armhf

I have not tried any of this to verify that it is exactly correct, or that it succeeds. This is just how these things are generally dealt with. When dependencies cannot be met, the only reason is supposed to be that installation cannot succeed. But it is more often a bug in how the dependencies are handled.

It is easy to mess up debian when trying something "different".
Hi.
Tried your tip dkryder.
But it says I had broken packages.

I will try to download and set up Oracle 32bit java tomorrow
(11-01-2016, 03:44 PM)kflorek46 Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 02:10 AM)Trond Wrote: it gave me:

You could try installing also libcups2:armhf, either before installing java, or on the same line

Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf libcups2:armhf

and if apt gives you more files it is not going to install, add those. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads to a chain reaction of dependencies to dozens or hundreds of files, which can mess with all your programs. I hope not.

libcups is part of cups, the printing system, so the reason for not installing libcups: armhf could be that it would conflict with the already installed 64 bit versions of the same files. You could then "force install" things ( with -f ) but that could mess up printing of everything, or just printing with 32 bit java.

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf

or

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf libcups2:armhf

I have not tried any of this to verify that it is exactly correct, or that it succeeds. This is just how these things are generally dealt with. When dependencies cannot be met, the only reason is supposed to be that installation cannot succeed. But it is more often a bug in how the dependencies are handled.

It is easy to mess up debian when trying something "different".

Hi.

I tried to install the libcups2:armhf
And it did come up with other missing packages, and it continued and continued.
So I gave up and installed Oracle java (but installed 64bit, and could not force it to run as 32bit)
I will try to find a 32bit installer to night.

In my opinion all Pine64 distros ment for Openhab should have 32bit pre-installed.
And user could manually choose wich java to use by running
Code:
update-alternatives --config java

I need 32bit to be able to run my zwave USB stick.

Dont know if openJDK is any better than Oracle for Openhab ??
Maybe others are under the same wrong impression I was. The people doing the work to adapt linux are not part of the Pine64 company. Pine64 is not funding any version of Linux, other than donating hardware, AFAIK. There are a few people, but very few, who are contributing any work or knowledge, and I am not one of them.

It may seem that Raspberry PI handles this differently, because of Raspbian (Debian for Raspberry PI). But Raspbian is done by a group not funded by Raspberry PI Foundation (a not-for-profit company) although they do call Raspbian officially supported. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspbian) The accumulated volunteer work for Raspberry PI has become huge over the many years since the first PI (2011). That is not the case so far for Pine64.

There is a group with a Pine A64 IRC channel offering help. http://uk.pine64.xyz:9090/?channels=Pine...MTE9MjE131
https://gitter.im/openhab/openhab-docker...5742d1877d
(11-03-2016, 01:38 AM)umiddelb Wrote: https://gitter.im/openhab/openhab-docker...5742d1877d

Thanks.

Will give it a try.
If not I will try a Ubuntu distro.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital drawing tablet Huion - proper drivers install janeku 20 29,274 05-19-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: xinhua
  How install Qbittorrent on Debian? Callisto 5 9,020 03-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Callisto
  libssl-dev eon't install williamcolls 2 4,969 11-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: dkryder
Exclamation How to install JavaFX tommypine 3 6,420 01-09-2017, 03:21 AM
  install shashlik bilylilyli 1 3,594 11-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Ghelorn
Exclamation JAVA App. not working correct wrongway 0 2,163 09-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Last Post: wrongway
  32bit Apps on Pine djinn5150 2 4,451 08-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Last Post: xalius
  Cannot install Dstat on Debian Base PineA64 image ywoody 6 7,590 07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
  Debian Video Performance/"Driver" Install Fawks 8 11,094 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Luke
  How to install modules into system? MicroDiery 6 7,438 05-27-2016, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JamesHarris