Hardware acceleration
hello everybody. Today I finally managed to boot up my pine 64 but kodi was very laggy. I looked around on the forum and found that there was missing hardware acceleration. So my question is:
  • is there working hardware acceleration
  • is there an image of linux with hardware acceleration
also I dont want to use android to use kodi as I had other things I want to do with linux so if there is not I just wasted my money.

thanks and sorry for bad english
hi,

First, if you want to use video (Kodi) please use Android.

Second, the beauty of the SBC is that you can have as many SD cards as you wish to purchase ! You are not locked into one distro, or one OS.

Lastly, if you purchased the Pine64 as a media center appliance, yes, you wasted your money;  the PineA64 is a development SBC (very powerful and very flexible) not a media center appliance.

Visit us on the irc chat site (see below) look forward to meeting you and discussing the pine board.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I know you can but I had wanted to use exagear x86 emulator on pine 64 and then use wine to play windows games on it. I am not sure if it is possible but I wanted to try anyway.

thanks

so if I use android I cant do that as it needs linux to work
I never cease to be amazed. What would make you think that you can run an x86 emulator on a Pine64 so that you can run wine to play Windows games ( no doubt with full video support ) on Linux ?

No; although, in concept it is theoretically possible ( in full practical terms ) it is not realistic to expect anything like that.

hdmi on gnu+linux barely works (only 15 modes). Hardware acceleration does not exist, so video support on gnu+linux is marginal at best ( on the Pine platform ) and is not going to improve on the Pine64 any time soon.

Again, if you want video on the Pine board you'll have to use Android at the moment. If Android will not work for you then nothing will ( if you want video to work ). Its that simple; and its not going to change by asking again.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I have seen people do it on raspberry pi (emulate x86 and play a windows game) using exagear instead of qemo and it was pretty good, they ran a game with low requirments and got around 20 fps. Since pine 64 is faster, if there was hw acceleration it may have worked.

well, I guess i will just have to use android

thanks
Give RemixOS a try, it's an Android based desktop environment that will run Kodi, Moonlight, Chrome, Netflix....etc. You may find that an adequate compromise.
(10-17-2016, 09:36 AM)jkmooney Wrote: Give RemixOS a try, it's an Android based desktop environment that will run Kodi, Moonlight, Chrome, Netflix....etc.  You may find that an adequate compromise.

ive heard some android apps dont work on it?
(10-17-2016, 04:17 PM)hamzahbondok Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 09:36 AM)jkmooney Wrote: Give RemixOS a try, it's an Android based desktop environment that will run Kodi, Moonlight, Chrome, Netflix....etc.  You may find that an adequate compromise.

ive heard some android apps dont work on it?

Remix is kinda hit and miss.  Most folks have not given it rave reviews.
marcushh777    Cool

Slow to boot and you periodically have to reset your account name/password (clock issue from what I understand), but it is "desktop like" if you want that kind of interface. I've used it to stream my RC Flight Simulator (Phoenix) to my big screen TV. Worked OK but I had to run a long USB cable through the wall so I could plug the proprietary RC transmitter interface dirctly to the computer itself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about video acceleration BringItOn 10 15,021 06-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Last Post: ssvb