Etcher, the superior burning choice!
(06-22-2017, 08:46 AM)macacob Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 08:26 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 08:16 AM)macacob Wrote: Will Etcher run on the 14 inch Pinebook?  I'm having a hell of a time.

You don't run Etcher on the pinebook.

...  you run Etcher on your PC, Mac, whatever/   you burn the Installer SD card with Etcher, then boot the SD card in the pinebook.

The Installer then 'downloads' the image for the pinebook to the eMMC module.  The Installer does NOT move the image from the SD card;  you need a network connection so that the Installer can download the image to the eMMC.

Come visit us on the irc for live help;

(see below)
But is it not possible to use Pinebook to write an SD card for another of my Pine64 boards for example?
In general I have been unable to get any AppImage to work on Pinebook.  

Interesting question.  atm, I don't know if it is possible to write an SD card image on the pinebook.  Theoretically, why not?  well, you'd have to boot from eMMC, put the image of choice on the eMMC too, then use either Etcher, or maybe  dd  to write the image to the SD card (not mounted) but available in /dev/

I have not heard of anyone doing this, nor have I tried;  very interesting idea.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(06-22-2017, 09:06 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 08:16 AM)macacob Wrote: Will Etcher run on the 14 inch Pinebook?  I'm having a hell of a time.

...  you run Etcher on your PC, Mac, whatever/   you burn the Installer SD card with Etcher, then boot the SD card in the pinebook.

The Installer then 'downloads' the image for the pinebook to the eMMC module.  The Installer does NOT move the image from the SD card;  you need a network connection so that the Installer can download the image to the eMMC.

(see below)
But is it not possible to use Pinebook to write an SD card for another of my Pine64 boards for example?

Interesting question.  atm, I don't know if it is possible to write an SD card image on the pinebook.  Theoretically, why not?  well, you'd have to boot from eMMC, put the image of choice on the eMMC too, then use either Etcher, or maybe  dd  to write the image to the SD card (not mounted) but available in /dev/

I have not heard of anyone doing this, nor have I tried;  very interesting idea.

It sounds interesting but is this truly posible?
it is possible to burn SD card for improve ram
(10-04-2018, 12:06 AM)Technolab88 Wrote: it is possible to burn SD card for improve ram

I don't think so.
(06-22-2017, 09:06 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

(see below)

According to my understanding of this post, the Pine64 Installer doesn't work from the eMMC either.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4661

I have no idea why, if it runs on Linux, and the Pine64 Installer and Linux are installed on the eMMC, it couldn't write to the SD card.

The same goes for dd.  It should be able to take a downloaded image as the input file, and the SD card /dev as the output file.

Maybe that's not so important for the regular Pinebook which isn't intended as a stand-alone computer, although it would be a significant issue if it doesn't work on the Pinebook Pro.
Thanks for sharing such a useful post.
New here I just Etcher and it's super easy to use no tutorial needed. Thanks for recommending it.
Well explained topic.
BUMP, Any update on usage of etcher burning from PB?

My main reason is due to not always having a reliable SD card reader around (if I am tinkering at work) I may have to find some time to work on this myself.
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
Thanks for the information.