Surround Sound Possible on Any OS?
Hello, 

My end goal is to use this with a plex media client connected to my TV and audio receiver via HDMI and get surround sound.

I have tested Android 5.1 which as far as I know is not capable of surround sound, I assumed that it would because my nexus player running the same software did support surround sound, I was wrong. I thought that perhaps the nexus was running Android TV OS, so that could be the issue. I have tested Android TV, that also does not produce surround sound, only stero sound via my receiver.

My question is, is there any software (remix, Linux) that can supports surround sound via HDMI? If so, is it possible to run plex from that OS?

Not sure why the nexus player is capable of playing surround sound but this is not, from what I understand it is more complicated than them sharing similair OS.

If anyone could point me in any direction it would be appreciated. I checked the forums in each OS but couldn't find anything to confirm this works.
Surround sound is not supported. 

The PineA64 'has' a sound capability but is NOT a sound system.  Similarly, the PineA64 'has' video capability but is NOT a video|media system.  The PineA64 is a single board computer containing a mediocre SoC, mostly undocumented interfaces, and several OS(s) developed by a volunteer community who has tried valiantly to leverage the sunxi franchise via reverse engineering, guesswork, and a great deal of creativity. If you get sound out of it at all be thankful, if its stereo and fairly good quality by jing, you've arrived. If it were surround sound, it would be a bloody miracle and probably some feat of magic. 

I felt myself fortunate to get the audio jack to work with the slide-show youTube(s) ; although, the stereo built-in speaker test does not work-- the sound is fairly good quality and I think stereo, at least some of the time.  Surround sound (?)--  not so much.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just installed Ubuntu Xenial on Pine 64+ and no sound adamjedgar 1 3,242 04-12-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: DanielRounds
  No sound. Need help to resolve jsyu 4 6,402 03-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: YellowCake
Music Sound Output Quality saturos 1 2,761 04-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: gbjensen