Don't vi on me and tell me it's raining! Where's pico?
(09-22-2016, 07:17 AM)tampadave Wrote: I'm glad we're getting nano onto these images (are we?).

If you refer to the 'official' stuff featured here with 'these images' then I doubt that you get nano anytime soon with Ubuntu. I was referring to a community project that relies on experiences and knowledge from other communities and tries to concentrate all of this in an automated build system able to spit out OS images for a 'few' SBC (+40 now) supporting for most of the devices at least 2 different kernels and for all devices 4 distros.

For me it makes absolutely no sense why dealing with an SBC should feel different when running Ubuntu than when running Debian. That's why we take care that that's not the case, I simply don't have to care that much whether I boot with one or the other. Nano will always be there as will be vim.

And the whole idea behind is to choose the hardware that fits the use case (software behaving more or less the same) and not the other way around (when you want to avoid specific SBC since the available OS images are so horrible even if the hardware is nice).

BTW: On recent Ubuntu and Debian distros you should get 'real' vi behaviour by using this Wink
Code:
alias vi="ex -v"

I forced myself to use the 'restricted mode' even in OS X just a decade ago since back at that time the software environment at some customers was horrible (DG/UX, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX all shipped with vi and not vim). Not necessary any longer...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Don't vi on me and tell me it's raining! Where's pico? - by tkaiser - 09-22-2016, 08:00 AM