Don't vi on me and tell me it's raining! Where's pico?
(09-20-2016, 07:13 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 02:07 PM)tampadave Wrote: This is an old, old thing of unresolvable contention.

... I personally could care less what editor you use , ...

... when I evaluate your distro for my next article , the first thing I will check immediately after htop , is vim.  If I find it your stock goes up... if I don't find it the article will condemn the distro as an incomplete and frail attempt not worth the time-- discussion over.

Sounds good, just don't do it in CamelCase.  If you're running on my distro, you can use nano to code your article, if you want to, cause it'll be there!  Noob products are better for noob users.  No one is hurting for storage space anymore, so the only reason I could see for NOT including nano is a social reason, not a technical reason.  

It is all about the purpose of the distribution, which is about the actual users.  In our case(s), we take advantage of the ability to build our own kernels, pick our own file systems, tweak our own cflags.  Mark, it's been a long long time since i was new at this, like the late seventies.  This stuff is still pervasively overwhelming to me in scale and step by step requisites.  The only reason why we have the users that we have is because it is more accessible to entry level adopters.  

I used to use a reverse polish logic notation calculator, back when calclators were special, and never had to worry about it getting stolen, cause nobody else could figure out how to use it.  You don't really see them anymore, do you?  (Moot now, cause we can just code up whatever we want now, anyway...)

pine64's are very affordable, capable, full blown computers, which makes them accessible to students.  Stopping the world to learn the context of vi, unique to its own way of doing a very common thing, for them, is nonsensical.  Like reverse polish logic notation.  nano is more intuitive, and immediately usable to do things they have to do, at the first stage of a pine64 build.  vi is nothing more than a text editor.  It is not any more important than the things you do with a text editor.  And the things needing to be done for a new pine64 build are utterly basic config file editing, well met by nano.  Time spent learning just how to do anything with vi is time no longer available to apply towards learning and using the pine64.

It's like not having man pages... oh yeah, those seem to be missing too...  Different post.

It would be stupid not to have vi as part of a gnu/linux distribution.  Kind of like omitting regular expressions.  It is wrong to proscribe, by omission of any other editors, that this is the editor you HAVE to use.  How does that not make sense?

David
David, the lip smacking pirate hedgehog.  "SHIVER me timbers!"  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Don't vi on me and tell me it's raining! Where's pico? - by tampadave - 09-20-2016, 08:29 PM