How to power off Android on Pine64
(09-15-2016, 11:27 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: You are correct.

... also be advised that a short 'click' on the power button puts the unit to sleep , for which atm there is no recovery except reset or power pull.  Always use a long push -- click the power button and 'hold' it until the power-off dialogue appears.

Is there any reason for this, or work being done to fix this? This wasn't told before and my Pine with touch screen and battery is now actually useless since I can't put it to sleep. Power off/on takes ages and keeping it running all the time will mess the screen up in no time. So I kinda feel like the product isn't working as advertised...
(11-15-2016, 03:37 AM)symbiatch Wrote: Is there any reason for this, or work being done to fix this? This wasn't told before and my Pine with touch screen and battery is now actually useless since I can't put it to sleep. Power off/on takes ages and keeping it running all the time will mess the screen up in no time. So I kinda feel like the product isn't working as advertised...

Which Android build are you using? One of the latest 5.1.1 builds, or the Android 7 builds? I experience the power sleep issue with one of the earlier builds, but I felt it was more an issue with reinitialising the monitor/HDMI as the pine64 was drawing more power as if it had started up. I did try on a later 5.1.1 release, as shown in the two videos linked in an earlier post in this thread, and didn't have that issue any more. However, I don't have a LCD display, so I don't know if the LCD build is still susceptible to this issue, and I would be surprised if the Android 7 builds were suffering from it.
(11-15-2016, 04:31 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:37 AM)symbiatch Wrote: Is there any reason for this, or work being done to fix this? This wasn't told before and my Pine with touch screen and battery is now actually useless since I can't put it to sleep. Power off/on takes ages and keeping it running all the time will mess the screen up in no time. So I kinda feel like the product isn't working as advertised...

Which Android build are you using? One of the latest 5.1.1 builds, or the Android 7 builds? I experience the power sleep issue with one of the earlier builds, but I felt it was more an issue with reinitialising the monitor/HDMI as the pine64 was drawing more power as if it had started up. I did try on a later 5.1.1 release, as shown in the two videos linked in an earlier post in this thread, and didn't have that issue any more. However, I don't have a LCD display, so I don't know if the LCD build is still susceptible to this issue, and I would be surprised if the Android 7 builds were suffering from it.

I used the lastest 7 build available right now, haven't tried with the 5. It can sleep for a couple of seconds but 30 seconds or more and it always hangs. Tried several times and can't get it back. Don't know if it is a problem with LCD or something else, but it surely is a problem :/
(11-15-2016, 04:43 AM)symbiatch Wrote:

I used the lastest 7 build available right now, haven't tried with the 5. It can sleep for a couple of seconds but 30 seconds or more and it always hangs. Tried several times and can't get it back. Don't know if it is a problem with LCD or something else, but it surely is a problem :/

Don't put it to sleep: reset required, not good.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(11-15-2016, 05:55 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Don't put it to sleep: reset required, not good.

Yes, that's my whole problem. I need to put it to sleep. It should support it. Why doesn't it? What's the reason it hangs?
(11-15-2016, 11:15 AM)symbiatch Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 05:55 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Don't put it to sleep: reset required, not good.

Yes, that's my whole problem. I need to put it to sleep. It should support it. Why doesn't it? What's the reason it hangs?

The reason is that the three components are not working well together:
1) the OS
2) the cpu|gpu
3) the PMIC

Essentially, once you put it to sleep, there is no mechanism to 'watch' an interrupt to wake it up!

... putting it to sleep kills it.

In my opinion ifs a distinct design flaw ;  I'm not saying it cannot be overcome , but its beginning to look that way.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I installed a terminal emulator and found that a command  reboot -p will turn off Pine64 with Android os. the -p means poweroff.
Tom Arneson
I tried several of the software solutions and they either didn't have power options, were full of spam and ads, or just didn't work. I did discover (thanks again MarkHaysHarris777) that a long press on the power button is what was required - I wasn't holding it long enough.

As to software solutions, this works great: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ainless.pc

No ads, works well, includes widget. I did have to add the power option to the widget, about 30 seconds of effort.

Thanks again to all who posted; your experiences made this work great.
(09-15-2016, 08:15 AM)johnsl Wrote: Hi,

Apologies for asking a low level question, but I can't find any way to stop Android on the Pine 64 other than just killing the power.

All 'normal' android devices have a power button - and there seems to be no way to do a clean power off without one - the problem occurs in many android forums from users with phones/tablets with broken power buttons.

Is there any obvious way to do this without soldering a power button onto the board or finding some solution via rooting the installation?

John.

If it is rooted you can add an App.  ReMix 2.0 comes with a power button hidden in the upper corner of the Settings.  Android 7.0 places the root differently so most Apps do not think it is rooted and I tried giving permissions via SuperSU but failed.

(09-15-2016, 11:27 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: You are correct.

... also be advised that a short 'click' on the power button puts the unit to sleep , for which atm there is no recovery except reset or power pull.  Always use a long push -- click the power button and 'hold' it until the power-off dialogue appears.

oops!  No wonder it never works.  I have only attached it to one of my multiple boards.  I figured I just screwed up soldering it.  I may still have, I'll have to test it again.

Android 7.0 sleeps very quickly, 10 seconds (or similar) to 30 minutes.
5.1.1 can be left running hours or it even suspended.

(11-15-2016, 11:15 AM)symbiatch Wrote:

Even if you wanted it has maximum time of 30 minutes and can not be suspended with 7.0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 381,754 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,157 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,526 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 6,863 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 6,934 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,519 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,291 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained) ayufan 194 253,768 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neosapien
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,494 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 103,771 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus